Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finalized Philips LED 8 DRL installation in the lower part of grille.
Philips LED 8 DRL is available from many sources - the cheapest is on Amazon.
I have modified Philips installation instructions for custom application that enables dimming LEDs in rural environment and full power in urban environment. You must get an optional ACC/KL15 control box (available for free from Philips Automotive tel. (248)553-9080. The control box that comes with LEDs will not work properly on Outbacks.

1. Remove air intake to air filter (held by 2 clips)
2. Remove 10 clips holding the grille - remove the plastic sub-cross-frame attached to the grille (held by 8 of the above clips) - you do not have to remove the grille.
3. Push LED strips hard inside the lower grille slot on the left and right hand side.
4. Attach LED strips from inside the grille by means of 4 brackets (mending plates from Home Depot item/sku 339 512). Bend brackets 90 to 135 deg. at the second hole (see pics) so that they are not visible through the grille from the front. Affix brackets to LED strips to existing holes in the back by four stainless steel M5 screws - size 30mm (see pics).
5. Run wires to engine compartment fuse box along the battery.
6. Add-a-circuit/fuse splitter to fuse # 23. Drill a small hole (to fit the diameter of the wire) on the fender side of the fuse lid. Connect red and blue wires from Philips optional Control Box and connect it to the wire coming out of fuse # 23 add-a-circuit. Cut and add switch to the orange wire from the control box.
7.Connect ground/black wire from control box to ground bolt on the fender, right off the engine fuse box.
8.Tap orange wire from the control box into yellow wire coming from the existing small "illumination" bulb (a.k.a. parking light bulb) - the small bulb that is in the high beam housing - (I removed battery for easier access due to tight space).
9. Attach control box with double-sided tape to the fender next to engine fuse box and tug away all wiring in that space. Leave DRL switch sticking out for easy access.
10. Start the car; bright LEDs light up immediately. Use the switch for bright and low DRLs for urban or rural areas.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics LED installation

More pics....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might have missed some pics, so - if anyone has a question, use this area for inquiries. Don't PM because I yet have to figure out how to attach pics to PM - if that is at all possible. I prefer to answer question and attach pictures here.
However, if anyone has any specific questions - by all means, PM me for answers.
The most difficult part of this installation (believe it or not) was taking off/putting back on the grille plastic clips. Some of those pesky clips are hard to remove and one needs pliers to remove and re-insert some ... I think I am going to replace those with some clips (of the same diameter) that are easier to pull out and re-insert.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
One can see that you grew up in the European electrics tradition, the use of Luesterklemmen shows it (wire nuts were never allowed there, and are still not allowed in my house or vehicles).

I missed how you disabled the "normal" DRL's in the Outback?
Now I have another thing on my tot do list! Thanks for the detailed write up!

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
OMG thats hella work for DRL light bars,
and here I was thinking of just swapping out normal DRL (high beams)
with Projector LEDs( I loose high beams which I never use tho )

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One can see that you grew up in the European electrics tradition, the use of Luesterklemmen shows it (wire nuts were never allowed there, and are still not allowed in my house or vehicles).

Oh well... thanks. Those screw in connectors - chandellier connectors, as known over there, (from good old EU), believe it or not, are also available here on Amazon's website.
I did not disable OEM DRL (although Philips installation instructions (that come in their box) are saying to do so. The OEM DRLs still come on and either dim or do not dim LEDs, controlled by that extra switch that I added. I just tapped into them ... yellow wire coming out of the small "illumination" bulb. When I say "OEM DRL" on Outback, I should have said: "illumination" bulbs because, you are right, the existing DRLs are actually dimmed High Beam bulbs...so, I tapped into "illumination" small bulb that is in the High Beam housing up in left and right corners of the high beam housings...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OMG thats hella work for DRL light bars,
and here I was thinking of just swapping out normal DRL (high beams)
with Projector LEDs( I loose high beams which I never use tho )
Not really ... I think it will not take more than an hour or so, if you have the right tools and follow the write-up. It took me longer because I had to figure out the mounting, tapping into fuse box, testing circuit with LEDs outside the car, etc.etc. That is why I have published for those, who want to add those or relocate ones, mounted with supplied bracket in the lower portion of the front bumper. My installation is clean, simple and functional (that is what I think anyway....)

·
Registered
2008 subaru outback 2.5i
472 Posts

You might not like it.. but that style of wire nuts are used in 99% of house holds ... check your breaker box... the wires are held into the breakers by screws.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
I've installed the Philips 8 LED DRLs as well. Regarding the stock DRLs, there was another post somewhere on the Forum suggesting a simple way to disable them. Under the hood, the smaller triangular part of the fuse box contains the relay for the DRLs. Just pop this small part of the fuse box out, and cut the yellow wire going to the bottom of the DRL relay. As the guy suggested, I put connectors on each end of the cut wire so I could easily reconnect the stock DRLs should I want to in the future. Very easy, takes only 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You might not like it.. but that style of wire nuts are used in 99% of house holds ... check your breaker box... the wires are held into the breakers by screws.

This is something different than the mentioned Luesterklemmen. One uses those for the cases one uses wire nuts in the US (I used to be a Peer Reviewer of the National Electrical Code, I kind of know what I am talking about).

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I still don't understand, why would one want to disable OEM DRLs... Philips LEDs work fine with OEM DRLs - those are actually just dimmed high beam bulbs - when my Philips LEDs come on, the OEM DRLs stay on as well... when I put low beams on (or when they come on automatically at dark). Philips LEDS dim or, with additional switch, they will not dim....I don't see any reason, why OEM DRLs should be disabled other than just in some States it may be illegal to have two sets of DRLs...right?

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Maybe it's just a personal thing but I simply don't like running my high beam lights all day. I'd rather save them for when I need them at night. Besides I can always reconnect them in a minute or two should I change my mind.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK... I see.... but I am sure that you know that those "high beam HB3 (9005) bulbs" are actually running all day, as OEM DRLs in very dimmed mode, when you have the light switch in "auto" mode on steering column....the Subaru OEM DRLs are those dimmed high beam bulbs and those small illumination bulbs, (a.k.a. parking lights) that are in high beam cluster in corners.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
I just checked and with my lights on auto during the day, only my LED DRLs are on. Maybe the wire I disconnected works for the high beams and the little lights. The little lights do come on with the low beams as they should.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Budaru - don't forget that those OEM DRLs - headlight dimmed high beam bulbs, come on only, when the gear selector is in D position (for auto transmission) - hence: driving lights. Not sure, how it works with manual transmission. They probably come on, when you press the clutch and put the gear in...you can test it (if you are alone) in front of some glass doors or windows and you will see, what comes on, when you put any gear in....
"Little light" is what they refer to as "parking light" - there are 2 pairs of small bulbs in front on each side; one is inside the high beam cluster and one (amber/yellow) is on each side of the headlight assembly.
I snapped few pics now.
When I turn ACC power on (without engine running), and turn headlights on, LEDs are on as well - Pic.# 1
When I turn the car on and low beams are on, LEDs are on - full blast - same as above - Pic.# 1
When I turn off that extra switch that I placed on orange wire, LEDs are dimmed - Pic. # 2
When I start the car (with parking brake on) only LEDs are on - Pic. # 3
When parking lights (and side markers) are on, my LEDs are on Pic. # 4

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
I still don't understand, why would one want to disable OEM DRLs... Philips LEDs work fine with OEM DRLs - those are actually just dimmed high beam bulbs - when my Philips LEDs come on, the OEM DRLs stay on as well... when I put low beams on (or when they come on automatically at dark). Philips LEDS dim or, with additional switch, they will not dim....I don't see any reason, why OEM DRLs should be disabled other than just in some States it may be illegal to have two sets of DRLs...right?
Could it be to extend bulb life? Even though the DRL's run on reduced voltage, there is still a certain amount of molecule transfer taking place away from the filament, and it will burn out faster than a filament that is not energized.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hudsoner: I thought the driving lights are now DOT mandatory on all late model cars on these shores(same as in EU). Actually, I don't think that you can totally turn them off on our Outbacks...the minute you put the gear in, they light up, regardless at what position is the headlight switch (on steering column)...

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is something different than the mentioned Luesterklemmen. One uses those for the cases one uses wire nuts in the US (I used to be a Peer Reviewer of the National Electrical Code, I kind of know what I am talking about).
I hate wire nuts ... can't think of that technology as being really any good....other than just maybe it's faster to connect wires together rather than use the screw connectors, which may take longer time to complete. I have the screw connectors in 4 or 5 different sizes for various wire gauges (AWG) around my house and cars....

·
Registered
232 Posts
Hudsoner: I thought the driving lights are now DOT mandatory on all late model cars on these shores(same as in EU). Actually, I don't think that you can totally turn them off on our Outbacks...the minute you put the gear in, they light up, regardless at what position is the headlight switch (on steering column)...
I don't think so. I had a Nissan Rouge as a loaner while my Outback was at the dealer for brain surgery, and the Nissan did not have DLR's.

I bet one could find a fuse that could be pulled.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts