Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Just went to work tonight and infotainment gave me some sort of warning about Bluetooth not working. I can’t really remember what it said. Phones connected but won’t play any music or make calls. Tried deleting my profile and starting over to no avail. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, Crystal White Pearl
271 Posts
Okay, now I have a problem. All of a sudden my phone and the XT do not connect.

I did the following:
  • Rebooted the phone.
  • Shut off and restarted the car.
  • Deleted the phone (Z3) from the car.
  • ATTEMPTED to rediscover the phone .....no luck.
  • Connected the phone via a USB cord to the XT and could not find the phone.
  • Tested the phone connecting to other Bluetooth devices and they connected.
  • Called Subaru tech support a couple of times.

In summary, my phone (the Z3) will Bluetooth to other devices (Garmin and my PC) but not
to the XT, via a cord or Bluetooth. So it would point to the XT.

Calling Subaru Tech support, they claim that they do not see the Z3 as a supported phone.
If that is so, why the heck did it work for 4 months?????

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,689 Posts
I had the same happen a few days ago, right after getting the car back from the dealer.
Phone showed as connected, but really was not connected. When trying to make phone calls it said "no phone connected", but in the device list, it did show as being connected. Weird.
I rebooted the phone several times, disconnected and reconnected it, turned the car on / off, etc. Nothing seemed to make any difference.
So I just let it go and ignored it. The next day, the phone magically connected just fine again and everything worked. Who knows ..... :oops:

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
3,129 Posts
Okay, now I have a problem. All of a sudden my phone and the XT do not connect.

I did the following:
  • Rebooted the phone.
  • Shut off and restarted the car.
  • Deleted the phone (Z3) from the car.
  • ATTEMPTED to rediscover the phone .....no luck.
  • Connected the phone via a USB cord to the XT and could not find the phone.
  • Tested the phone connecting to other Bluetooth devices and they connected.
  • Called Subaru tech support a couple of times.
In summary, my phone (the Z3) will Bluetooth to other devices (Garmin and my PC) but not
to the XT, via a cord or Bluetooth. So it would point to the XT.

Calling Subaru Tech support, they claim that they do not see the Z3 as a supported phone.
If that is so, why the heck did it work for 4 months?????
I don't know what a Z3 is. The only thing I would try different is:
1. Reboot by holding the volume button in until it reboots.
2. Shut off and restart the car, but let the down time be longer. As someone else said, the next day theirs suddenly started working again.

Good luck and post an update once it resolves.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't know what a Z3 is. The only thing I would try different is:
1. Reboot by holding the volume button in until it reboots.
2. Shut off and restart the car, but let the down time be longer. As someone else said, the next day theirs suddenly started working again.

Good luck and post an update once it resolves.
A Z3 is a Motorola Z3 with the Android operating system.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had the same happen a few days ago, right after getting the car back from the dealer.
Phone showed as connected, but really was not connected. When trying to make phone calls it said "no phone connected", but in the device list, it did show as being connected. Weird.
I rebooted the phone several times, disconnected and reconnected it, turned the car on / off, etc. Nothing seemed to make any difference.
So I just let it go and ignored it. The next day, the phone magically connected just fine again and everything worked. Who knows ..... :oops:
This suddenly starts working again happened with the MySubaru app. I called tech support and they said move the car,
Told them I did that. Then they gave some really off the wall excuse, that made it apparent that they were not trained.
Well some days later it started working.

It this age of electronic this and digital that, it's rare to get a auto mechanic that can analyze and fix that type of stuff. Now before you call me biased, my son was a Subaru mechanic for years, so I have some insight.

Had a problem like this in my 2013 OB. The Nav system sporadically would give messages indication that it was the first time started or had a new SD card. The "Routes" were erased but not the "Destinations". I kept telling them that it was the SD card. Well, after too many visits they gave me a new SD card....Case closed.

Only time will tell.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Okay here's my update.

• I went to the dealers today.
  • We were able to get the dealer to register his phone with the car. So it was probable my phones fault What The?
  • Then we once again tried to register my phone (A Motorola Z3) and it did not register. to the OB.
  • I went home and called Verizon. for some help.
  • He checked their references and found out that my phone was NOT one of the phones tested for the 2020 Outback. Good excuse.
  • Sooooo, after a long conversation we re-initialized my phone and it connected with the 2020 OB.
  • I'm now in the process of attempting to get the phone looking and working like it did for 4 months.
  • o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
A BIG Atta-boy goes to the Verizon tech. He hung in there for maybe an hour and a half.(y)

There was a disclaimer that this does not mean the phone will continue to Bluetooth to the OB :unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did this stick for you? Having the same issues with a OnePlus. Dealership and Subaru HQ have said sorry, your phone just isn’t compatible. Super frustrating. I’ve tried everting except for wiping my phone.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
17,076 Posts
Did this stick for you? Having the same issues with a OnePlus. Dealership and Subaru HQ have said sorry, your phone just isn’t compatible. Super frustrating. I’ve tried everting except for wiping my phone.
I don't know if the bluetooth stack changed in the head unit but after the 504 update I have had much better luck with my bluetooth connection. Is your car updated?

Reactions: RocketMan20

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have to jump in here too because recently I’ve been receiving calls through my connected IPhone but text messages aren’t appearing as they have been in the past. I thought that was the strangest problem. I’m still on 502 and can’t find the time to get to the dealer (Work/distance issues) to update very soon. Haven’t tried deleting phone connection yet, but will. I’ll repower the phone too, but do that regularly anyway. Hope one of these will fix it, but if I’m missing a troubleshoot, please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "Stick". I'm almost afraid to say the following. The connection has been working since we rebuilt the phone SW. It's hard driving with my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
71 Posts
My Note 10 had some issues with Bluetooth connection recently. When going into pairing mode, the phone could not detect the car even though set to scanning mode. It was only when I turned on the car but haven't started the engine that the Bluetooth could pair again

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well I'm back. Yesterday I left an appointment and tried doing a hand free call.
  • The cars voice kept saying "Cancelled".
  • I tried over and over. Yep the definition of crazy.
  • Restarted the phone.
  • Restarted the car.
  • Now "No device found"
  • Deleted the phone from the car.
  • ATTEMPTED to reconnect the phone to the car.
  • Not found.
  • Tested with my Android TV casting device and that connected.
  • Called Verizon, and the Motorola Z3 is still not in the Subaru approved list
  • Checked For Owners | Subaru of America and the Z3 was NOT on the list.
  • Verizon said they could rebuild the Z3s operating system again.
  • I'm not ready to go through the Op Sys rebuild AGAIN.
  • So now I have to decide if I want to swap cell phones. The trade in on this one is $22. Aaaaah
The site above does not have matrix that I can just look for the approved phones. Just spoke with Subaru, in an effort to get the list of approved cell phones, so that I do not have to pick a potential phone, THEN see if it is approved. They will be checking to see if there is a FILE that I can download with the approved cell phones,

In the meantime I may check with Motorola🤬🤬🤬

1 - 20 of 41 Posts