Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Legacy OBW
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this over on the First Gen board and I'm pretty concerned about it cause I have to drive it to PA on Sunday.

So long story short I attempted to drop a new engine in my 99 Legacy OBW. I was unable to finish just due to the fact that it was way over my head and I never should have attempted it. So today I pick it up from the mechanic. When I drove it home I noticed white smoke every once in awhile. Is this a bad sign? I did the headgaskets so I'm afraid I messed up somehow. I drove it home about 10 miles or so and then drove it to Sears to get the inspection. So probably 15 miles total maybe 20 if I stretch it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
How is your coolant level? Temperature gauge?

·
Registered
1999 Legacy OBW
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything is fine so far. It's been abnormally cold here the past couple of days, could that be a factor? It doesn't just blow smoke it just puffs sometimes.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Limited 2.5L H4 5MT Regatta Red Pearl w/ lift and audio system
1,255 Posts
It could just be some residual coolant. Last time I did the head gaskets, I did them in car, and I guess I spilled a lot of coolant all over/in the exhaust and over the crossmember. It smoked quite a lot for a little while, especially on startup. It didn't take very long for it to stop though, maybe 15 miles of driving total.

Did you have the cylinder heads resurfaced and did you prep the block carefully (cleaning and removing all residue)? If not, you could have a coolant/combustion chamber leak. With the few miles you drove, you probably wouldn't notice a drop in coolant level. I personally would keep driving it, keeping an eye on both the amount and frequency of white smoke and your coolant level. If the white smoke dissipates after a while, it was probably just coolant burning off.

·
Registered
1999 Legacy OBW
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned the heads as best as I could but I didn't have them resurfaced. I'm now up to 50 miles and the only time I see it is at start up and only after it's been sitting for a little bit. So for now I'd say I'm good.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,460 Posts
It could be water build up from the CAT getting pushed out in burst and burning off. Unless it smells like coolant at the tailpipe, don't worry about it yet. Keep an eye on the gauge and level.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts