Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the trigger today and drove home a 2013 Premium. Compared with my 2011 Premium that I just traded in, ride is much more controlled and less cushy. I absolutely love it.

And I believe I got a terrific deal. The total out-of-pocket difference from 2011 Premium (around 9,000 miles) to 2013 Premium was around $3,200 (TTL included.)

Thanks for all the great info!

·
Registered
2013 OB Ltd. 2.5i Satin White Pearl - Special Appearance Package
87 Posts
I pulled the trigger today and drove home a 2013 Premium. Compared with my 2011 Premium that I just traded in, ride is much more controlled and less cushy. I absolutely love it.

And I believe I got a terrific deal. The total out-of-pocket difference from 2011 Premium (around 9,000 miles) to 2013 Premium was around $3,200 (TTL included.)

Thanks for all the great info!
Congratulations!!!

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
Wife has a 2011 OB and we love the ride. Are you saying the 2013 is even better?
Well you know this is the guy that had the few accidents with his 11' ob. maybe he is soooo relieved now that he can start fresh. i call it the placebo effect.:D

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Yea, I like to test a fresh 12 with a build date of a couple of months ago (or when ever the last month was) with a new 13 and see what exactly the dynamic differences are.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver, wheel arch, splash guards, bumper protector, seat back protector
34 Posts
I drove the '12 and '13 back to back and there is a noticeable difference in handling and body roll, and the '13 just felt more "planted" to the road.

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
Ever since we brought home the '13, there's been a double rainbow over our house and my pants fit a little better.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
I agree with GtownSubie. I drove a new '12 and a new '13 prior to a purchase of a '13. The '13 rides much smoother and planted while the '12 has a "floaty" ride. We would have been happy with the '12 but the dealers are not discounting them all that much compared to the '13's. The MPG is better as well. Another + is the CVT seems more smooth. The '12 seems to dislike the slow speeds, i.e. navigating parking lots etc but the '13 CVT appears seemless.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i call it the placebo effect.:D
Partly true. :)

I agree with GtownSubie. I drove a new '12 and a new '13 prior to a purchase of a '13. The '13 rides much smoother and planted while the '12 has a "floaty" ride... Another + is the CVT seems more smooth. The '12 seems to dislike the slow speeds, i.e. navigating parking lots etc but the '13 CVT appears seemless.
This is exactly what I am getting from my new '13.

·
Registered
2016 Tungsten Outback 3.6R w/Eyesight. My 6th Subaru.
332 Posts
Another + is the CVT seems more smooth. The '12 seems to dislike the slow speeds, i.e. navigating parking lots etc but the '13 CVT appears seemless.
I have not driven a '12, but my '13 does not like slow speeds. The throttle/transmission response is "snatchy" at slow speeds. Also, while making a sharp right turn from a standstill, the left front tire skidded just like an old 4WD truck would do. Hopefully this will all smooth out after break-in.

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i Prem CVT HK/AWP, Ruby Red Pearl
3,321 Posts
... while making a sharp right turn from a standstill, the left front tire skidded just like an old 4WD truck would do. Hopefully this will all smooth out after break-in.
It does that even when moving, a Subaru/AWD trait it seems (which is still present on the 013, I see).

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Not being a Subaru guy I went and car tested many with a lady friend. She had a Subaru before so we tested both Outback and Forester. Both 12's both nice. I was impressed when the salesperson put us in a lot with super soft sand. I live in the Panhandle of Florida and if you drive off the road in the sand without 4WD you are sunk. He told her to stop then just drive out. Very impressed and I have owned 4WDs most of my entire life.
That sold me.
My wife and I tested both 12 and 13 Outbacks both 2.5 and 3.6. The difference was less noticeable front end shaking in the 13 and much less overall noise at highway speeds with the 3.6.

I was only interested in models that had Eye Sight but we wanted to test that as well as the 12's in case Eye Sight was not all it was cracked up to be.

Well we ordered the 13 Limited with Eye Sight and should get it in early September since it was ordered 21 July.

Not being a Subaru guy but being a tester by vocation I am pretty sensitive to differences and frankly except for the noticeable to me shaking in the 12's I drove the 13 just seemed smoother all around.

Turn radius for the Outback is outstanding compared to all the other vehicles I own, again very impressive...

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,969 Posts
Great feedback, but in the case of the 12's shaking I would be more incline to think that was a individual/isolated case. Interesting about the lack of 12 discounting. If one could get around 4,500 off MSRP at some point on a 12 vs a invoice only price on a 13 what would you choose?, if it was a apples to apples choice on model and trim.The only difference would be eyesight which is not an option in 12 if that was in the choice.

·
Registered
2013 Outback
23 Posts
Transmission

I have not driven a '12, but my '13 does not like slow speeds. The throttle/transmission response is "snatchy" at slow speeds. Also, while making a sharp right turn from a standstill, the left front tire skidded just like an old 4WD truck would do. Hopefully this will all smooth out after break-in.
2.5 or 3.6 ?

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Well, I dumped my '11 for a '12 about 3-4 months ago. I thought the differences were HUGE. Any way, I just took our OB on a 1200 mile weekend through Kentucky (decent amount of hills). I still say you can get front end vibrations at times in the 12, although they are much more isolated. I also note that at high speeds (75-80 MPH) I had to let off and coast at times and then the car would be much smoother. Almost like the CVT needed to reset and then found a better spot. Anyway, I love the way the 2012 rides. I like the cushy/floaty feeling as it just absorbs all the highway junk. Very rested and comfortable on long stretches 3-4 hours straight driving. Never fatigued. No lane wandering. Sometimes darty, but nothing major. Averaged 31.5 for the trip. (6200 miles now) Speed limits were 70 MPH so definitely pushing hard on the car most of the time in the hills.

I am not going to say the 2013 is not better, as I have not driven one. I can say, I do not want a more firm and planted ride. That means harder and I like the softness. I did not buy a jacked up AWD wagon for handling prowess. My car eats speed bumps for breakfast.

That said, glad you find the 2013 a better car. I hate the wheels and the fogs and the grill. However, those are cosmetics and we are talking about an already ugly duckling car, so do those things really matter, probably not.

I am a little disappointed with the 2012 and the occasional front end vibrations. It is not a problem, nor bothersome, but I would have thought they had it corrected by the third model. I guess it took the 4th and probably the reason for the firmer suspension. They probably needed to dampen oscillation more.

Anyway, thanks for the write up and your opinion. I would have expected nothing less than a rave review. You had to justify the upgrade somehow. No one buys a new car and thinks the old car was the better vehicle, or you would have just kept the old one.

The discount situation sounds like sales shpeal to me. That reasoning does not even make sense.

I also find the turn radius amazing.

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
The 13's do not shake, the vibes you're feeling are the road and the increased stiffness of the suspension. The cruise control bumps in 5mph increments so I did a test starting at 40 mph to 75mph. I bumped the speed by 5mph increments and anything I felt at speed was there at 40mph. I wouldn't have even done this test if it were not because of the internet and this forum. But I did it none the less to confirm what I believed to be true. I found a spot on the road where you could feel some vibration and told my wife this is what some people are calling a steering wheel shake on the 13's her word for word reseponse was "They're ****ing idiots"

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Any car worth a crap is going to give you some sort of road feedback. I am talking more about the oscillating that occurs randomly at times. It is still present on the 2012 at times but is much less noticeable. I will go check out a 2013 for sure to see the differences though.

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
330 Posts
The 13's do not shake, the vibes you're feeling are the road and the increased stiffness of the suspension. The cruise control bumps in 5mph increments so I did a test starting at 40 mph to 75mph. I bumped the speed by 5mph increments and anything I felt at speed was there at 40mph. I wouldn't have even done this test if it were not because of the internet and this forum. But I did it none the less to confirm what I believed to be true. I found a spot on the road where you could feel some vibration and told my wife this is what some people are calling a steering wheel shake on the 13's her word for word reseponse was "They're ****ing idiots"

that's bold coming from someone who has only driven maybe a handfull of 2013's. i wouldn't lay that out there as a blanket statement just yet.

·
Premium Member
2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
961 Posts
Give the same powertrain, how is the noise level b/w 2012 vs. 2013??

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Sienna, miss my eyesight. Life moves on.
982 Posts
that's bold coming from someone who has only driven maybe a handfull of 2013's. i wouldn't lay that out there as a blanket statement just yet.
No regrets laying it out. The only disclaimer I would be willing to add is that they do not shake like the 10's and early/mid 11's did. I also believe that internet forums are generally new to a lot of people and we are very easy to coax into believing what we read.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts