Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My outback should arrive from the factory in the next 2 weeks.
I've heard of some folks instructing the dealer to leave the factory packaging/film on and driving it straight from the dealer to get new car servicing, paint protection film, and CQuartz added.
We plan to keep the car for a long time i.e. 7+ years.

Questions:
1. What should I get done? I'm not particularly OCD but happy to do whatever makes general sense.
2. Dealer quoted us $2200 to extend warranty out to 7 years. I was thinking of just shopping around for a warranty afterwards. Does that make sense?
3. Anything else I should be thinking of?

Note that I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
Congratulations on your new Outback. Since you are in Canada, your extended warranty costs/programs are different than in the US. However, the price you quoted is a lot more expensive than what one can shop for in the US.

If you do not allow the dealer to remove the shipping protective film, you will not know of any concealed paint issues until later when you remove the film. If there is damage, your dealer may refuse to take responsibility.

I am a huge fan of paint protection film (PPF). My favored PPF is XPEL. It is expensive but worth it in my opinion. Hopefully you have an installer near by that is factory trained on installation of the PPF.

I am not a huge fan of paint coatings, such as CQuartz. I much prefer a good paint sealant, such as Wolfgang Fuzion. However, it does need to be re-applied twice a year or so. However, it is very easy to work with. You can find a wealth of information about paint coatings at www.autogeekonline.net CQuartz has been around for several years. There are a lot of newer coatings available now.

When you pick up your new Outback, be sure to check coolant and oil levels as well as tire pressure. There are a couple of rubber plugs the dealer is supposed to install in two openings in the frame, just ahead of the rear wheels. Very few dealers install these so you just might find them in a plastic bag in the underfloor storage area.

Good luck with your new Outback.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Subaru Gold Warranty 100k mile/ 7 year/ $0 deductible can be had for about $1300-$1400. Search this forum for many warranty threads. Subaru warranties can be purchased up to 3 years or 36k miles from purchase.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
Subaru Gold Warranty 100k mile/ 7 year/ $0 deductible can be had for about $1300-$1400. Search this forum for many warranty threads. Subaru warranties can be purchased up to 3 years or 36k miles from purchase.
****....I wish I knew that when I bought mine :frown2:

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
****....I wish I knew that when I bought mine :frown2:
You can dump it. Refund will be reduced by # of months you've had it. New plan would start at sale date so you would be paying a second time for those months. Also if you "financed" your plan into loan you will not get cash back , only reduction to loan amount. New plan would then be a cash purchase. Do the numbers. It might be worthwhile. Remember you have 3 years/36k miles to save up money to repurchase.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
1 Posts
I am also expecting delivery from factory in a couple of weeks: 3.6 Ltd. I was offered 72 months / 120,000 km for about $1750. Declined it but sales guy said he would ask me again on pickup.

One thing to look for is the trunk door alignment. Several people on the forum have noticed this issue.

I am planning on getting the cargo mat and the fender top protective cover,.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
418 Posts
There are some threads in this forum about checks to do before you take delivery that might be helpful.

Here are a few things you might want to do:

-- look it over closely, check all alignments, make sure everything works -- check the lights, brake lights, windows/moonroof, wipers, etc.
-- check the radio (pair your phone, use the voice commands, etc.), set some presets, check HD, play a CD, etc.
-- check the climate control (both heat and a/c), seat heat, etc.
-- adjust the seats to ensure you can get it where you want it for comfort
-- open the hatch with the under dash button, the fob button (check all fob buttons), ensure it's working
-- check tire pressure, adjust if needed, check the instrument cluster pressure display is in the units you want
-- check fluid levels
-- ask your salesperson to review button, etc. functionality (perhaps before the test drive)
-- go for a test drive to ensure things are in working order, nothing loose, etc., try ACC if you have it

Assuming everything is in order go have some fun! Cheers on the new OB!

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
350 Posts
This is not a pickup issue, but with all of the features on this car, I found it helpful to make up a list of things to do with the car when I got it home. Things like sync your phone with Bluetooth, program the garage door opener, set a PIN code for opening the car without the fob, set the memory seat position, set home position on nav, set your favorite radio/XM stations, go thru the settings menus, etc.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,664 Posts
Note that I'm in Canada if that makes a difference.
For most of Canada, you want tray-style Husky floor mats. They have a good lip on them so melted snow won't get onto the carpet.

The stock Bridgestones are not great snow tires. I run Nokians on cheap closeout alloy wheels in the winter.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
443 Posts
You will want to inspect the car carefully at the dealer. I found a pen mark on the back of the seat on the leather and insisted they clean it before I took delivery. They took the car Nextdoor to a detail place who carefully removed the ink stain off the leather. Look over the paint to make sure no scratches or defects. I maintain my paint with this product called Ammo. It protects the paint from UV, salt and other contaminants. www.ammonyc.com. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts