Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, 2.5i
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few friends come up to visit me this week and they really want to see some mountains so I figured it would be a great opportunity to take my new OB up to the top of Pikes Peak (14,011 ft) and the highest paved highway in North America, Trail Ridge. I plan on taking lots of photos so I'll report back in two days! Wish me luck!

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts
and the highest paved highway in North America, Trail Ridge.
The Old Fall River Road is an unpaved stretch of road that runs from
Rocky Mountain National Park up to near the crest of Trail Ridge Road.

It's one-way, up only. Closed most of the year, but August is OK.

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
I plan on taking lots of photos so I'll report back in two days! Wish me luck!
He's five days overdue - should we send out the SAR team?

Trail Ridge Road is drop dead gorgeous, but it is crazy busy with tourists, many of them wandering around beyond the "Trail Closed - Do Not Cross" signs.... Idiots and morons.....or illiterate, I guess.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon 2.5i 208000 miles
99 Posts
He's five days overdue - should we send out the SAR team?

Trail Ridge Road is drop dead gorgeous, but it is crazy busy with tourists, many of them wandering around beyond the "Trail Closed - Do Not Cross" signs.... Idiots and morons.....or illiterate, I guess.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA
Might be a good idea. It will be snowing up there in about 6 weeks. They will surely run out of food by then.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, 2.5i
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys sorry for the delay, things have been crazy around here. So Ill jump right into it.

First of all Id like to say to anyone who says the 2.5i doesnt have enough power to deep into the mountains is nuts. I bought my 2012 OB 2.5i Limited about a month ago and I'll have to admit, the thought crossed my mind that maybe the h4 wouldnt cut it...well it did and much more!! My wife and I along with 2 of our friends loaded up the OB and headed off to Pikes Peak. It cost us $40 for the carload to get into the park but once in, it was straight up the mountain. The car's response to the switchbacks was amazing. I powered all the way to the top. Going up, I kept it in automatic mode and let the car do the shifting. Once at the top (14,011 ft) the views were amazing and I really enjoyed it. After leaving, it was highly advised to shift into manual mode and go through the gears on your own to avoid overheating of the brakes. I did exactly that, I stayed in first and second gears all the way down the mountain. As a courtesy, the rangers will check your brake temp half way down. I pulled up and the ranger said they like the temp to be below 300 degrees. He checked mine and I was at a cooolll 114 degrees. No problems. The drive was amazing and the OB performed flawlessly!

Day two took us to the Rocky Mountain National Park and Fall River Road. As stated earlier, it is a one way dirt road filled with switchbacks and amazing views. The road is 9 mile long and peaks at an altitude of 11,400 ft. Again the OB took the road like a champ. At the top we took a break and headed down Trailridge road which yielded its own amazing views. All in all, I give this car a 9 out of 10, just wish the body roll on the highway was a little less. If you ever head out to Colorado I highly suggest both these routes!

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i
82 Posts
So a few friends come up to visit me this week and they really want to see some mountains so I figured it would be a great opportunity to take my new OB up to the top of Pikes Peak (14,011 ft) and the highest paved highway in North America, Trail Ridge. I plan on taking lots of photos so I'll report back in two days! Wish me luck!
Don't mean to be picky but the highest paved road in the US is the one to the top of Mt. Elbert, much higher than Trail Ridge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts