Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i SAP
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! First post here as I'm a first time Outback owner. I've had my Outback for exactly one month now. Can't wait for it warm up a bit so I can wash and wax it. Anyway, I have a question. I was applying a door edge protector, 3M film style, and as I was cleaning the door edge with rubbing alcohol, the pinstripe came off a little. This told me two things, the pinstripe is painted on and it's over the clear coat. In doing a little research, I see the SAP doesn't seem to have a pinstripe. Anyone else have one? What is the general opinion on pinstripes? Should I remove it? It's pretty subtle at least.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
No, it was a dealer add on.

Pinstripes are lame. They died with the 70's.

I would remove it.

Did you buy your Subie at Subaru of Loveland or Dellenbach's?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got it at Loveland. They were cheaper by about $1000. They actually got the car from a dealer in Denver though. Not sure which one. Only had 65 miles on it when I picked up. Where did you get yours? How's the 3.6? Kind of miss the 6 cyl power I had in my Tacoma, but not the mpg. I might take off the pinstripe when I wash. Not sure yet. Like I said, it's pretty subtle.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Bought mine at Loveland too. It was a great experience. I bought my 2012 at Dellenbach which was good too. Both are good dealers but I wanted a 3.6 SAP and Dellenbach couldn't get one but Loveland had one on the lot.

I love the 3.6. Gas mileage is fine but I don't obsess over MPGs as much as many people on the forum do. If you want good mileage get a Prius.

Do love the SAP. What color is yours?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, not obsessed with mpg, but my Tacoma only got 15-17 mpg in 2WD and 12-14 in 4WD. I live in Loveland and work in Windsor, so I drive 35 mi a day, and don't really need a 6 cyl in a wagon that I don't tow, haul or really mountain drive with.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yeah, not obsessed with mpg, but my Tacoma only got 15-17 mpg in 2WD and 12-14 in 4WD. I live in Loveland and work in Windsor, so I drive 35 mi a day, and don't really need a 6 cyl in a wagon that I don't tow, haul or really mountain drive with.
Well FWIW both my 2012 and 2013 3.6's do about 20-21mpg city and 23-26mpg highway. There are many threads here on the forum discussing that the EPA rated mileage for the 3.6 is a gross underestimation. You will always do better with the 2.5 though.

·
Registered
'13 Outback 3.6R Limited
352 Posts
Like Nickshu mentioned, dealer add-on. When I bought mine it came with the pinstriping and an additional painted Subaru logo towards the rear of the vehicle. I contiplated removing it, but I am actually liking it now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Weird that any dealer would add pinstriping. I don't know of anyone wishing the Outback had it. Seems like extra effort with no extra return.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
There's a Ford dealer out here that loves putting pin striping on their cars. I assume it's for their elderly customers.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
$5 worth of material and $250 markup is why. Dealers used to do this all of the time in the 70's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts