Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres a thread called "places to offroad in OR" but its 2 hrs to the state line. ive been to this ORV park outside olympia, wondering if there's anywhere else and if a group of people would like to get together like in that other thread.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Go up highway 410 out of Enumclaw. Turn left at FS72. Try anything that looks like it might have been a road at some point.

leads to

·
Outback onsight...
1,264 Posts
many places to offroad...

I was just offroading in just North of Shelton,Wa (Olympic's) ..camped overnight overlooking the airport...We spent the weekend at Olympus rally..
Ken Block (ford)won...David Higgins #2(team subaru)

Yahoo lake (olympics)

mt.Olympus

shelton fairgrounds trails...

The next day we headed down to Capitol state forest..(my old mtn bike racing days..) Rock candy mtn....wahoo!...some sick trails...
I did find a hidden double track in the trees with some deep mud...:29:

I spend alot of time at St.Helens,
Rainier

straddeline orv park..view of the olympics

, Adams, Goat rocks...tons of kewl stuff there.
fs 5601 near adams is fun...baby shoe ridge a must ..

yacolt burn area view of hood

Stevenson,wa has some fantastic 4wd trails...!
In the gl hatch again
Three corner rock is kewl too..then trek down to greenleaf pk....to Stevenson..epic views of the gorge!

central , wa is great too...great stuff out between cle elum & Cashmere..!
We almost ran into a band of mtn sheep...!
WCSS12 trail run at Liberty ridge...I'm in the gl hatch

The Slab in Zilla,WA is an awesome place..! I'm In the camo gl hatch...
Report w/photos: 2012 Slab ORV Meet & Greet - Feb 4 2012

just a taste of a few places I've been...

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sweet, hopefully i have AT tires for next years' wcss and i can go offroading. i was gonna go to the olympus rally to watch, but since they wouldn't allow spectators on the gravel stages i didn't go.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went up to the Olympic National Park last week and drove on some of the forest service trails. Great roads both well used gravel roads and roads that haven't been used in a while. Beautiful scenery and it's free!

·
Registered
847 Posts
I went up to the Olympic National Park last week and drove on some of the forest service trails. Great roads both well used gravel roads and roads that haven't been used in a while. Beautiful scenery and it's free!
There aren't a whole lot of gravel or dirt roads inside the Park boundaries - have you been here? BTW: if you get tired of trees, fast forward to 4:45 and watch until the end. Obstruction Point Road, summer only, near Hurricane Ridge.

Obstruction Point Road, Olympic National Park

I've never been on that road, but I think it goes onto my Bucket List.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im on spring break right now, i'd like to go somewhere tomorrow and next weekend. is the snow melted enough yet to go anywhere mountainous?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Up north here I just got 3" at my home the other night (600ft) so stay away from hwy 2 north, it's all white. I'd recommend Eastern WA, but can't say as to where.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess I have to wait til summer to go anywhere with my family. the wife can't handle go outside when its even slightly cold. it's so funny listening to my 2 year old when I drive through brush taller than my hood, she says "be careful, daddy" and then "we made it!"

·
Registered
847 Posts
I'd recommend Eastern WA, but can't say as to where.
You have to stay well down out of the mountains due to snow pack. The snow won't be gone from the higher forest roads until mid-May at the earliest.

How about the huge area of low elevation DNR lands west of Vantage, east of Ellensberg, south of Wenatchee? Just be sure to go when there is zero chance of rain, since the dirt turns to 3 inches of greased snot (but it dries out in a few hours). It's semi desert, so rain is not the norm.....

It is free range cattle country, with lots of sagebrush, so be aware of a few animals and many ticks.

One access point is from the old highway west of Vantage that parallels I-90, a few miles west of the river. There is a maze of rough dirt roads, so bring a map and gps.

The area is smack dab in the center of this map, northwest of the I-90 dogleg at the Columbia River: .... http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/eng_rms_trustlands_map_nu2.pdf

It is really isolated, so be self sufficient and drive with another vehicle. Be ready to do a vehicle recovery!

If you want to see what the terrain is like, watch "The Battle of the Bulge" - the final tank battle scenes were filmed just to the south in the Yakima firing Range. LOL - it isn't anything like the Ardennes Forest in December! .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rtO6kg8f_ao

Here is a slideshow video of one route in the lower part: ....

And a news article: .... http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Hike-Of-The-Week-Whiskey-Dick-s-desert-ramble-1171252.php

Another page: ... http://wdfw.wa.gov/lands/wildlife_areas/search/mobile_units.php?searchby=unit&search=Whiskey Dick

I notice that there is a vehicle prohibition Feb 1 thru Apr 30 in part of it, to protect wintering elk herds.

I can't comment on the north part, but I know there are lots of other access points near Wenatachee, and it is possible to get down to the banks of the Columbia.

Thread discussing the vehicle permitted "Green Dot" roads: ..... http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/155479-green-dot-trail-maps/

Lots of pics: ... http://octopup.org/2008/whiskey-dick

Finally - a Discovery Pass is required!

Don't go alone, be safe!

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
847 Posts
Any idea if this road is fully clear of snow now? Considering how exposed it is, my guess is yes...... The last update said closed as of 05/08: .... http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/current-road-conditions.htm

I emailed for info, but was wondering if a local resident knows.....

EDIT: I received this email from the National Park Service:

"Obstruction Point Road generally does not open until the July 4th weekend, and this year it is likely to be even later due to the sequestration; we do not have funding to plow it and must instead wait for it to melt out naturally."

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are there any trails around the winter time? Looking for some trails to do with my new Outback. I know snow has started to fall in higher elevations, but I'm sure there are still some trails that are still drivable.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
need to get out to those trails, but first i need one of those passes. ive been out of school for a year and a half now, time to start going on some of these trails, my daughter will love it.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
forgot i started this thread. so anybody wanna go to elbe hills or straddleline orv park anytime soon? or maybe there are some other places in western washington? my only subaru type friend willing to go off paved roads moved away, i cant crawl over boulders the size of a car. so i dont bother talking to those jeep halfwits who think you need 35" tires to go over a small crack.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
14 Participants
bradze
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing