Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my coolant in my 2006 Outback and had to pull the plastic cover off to get at the plug.

So my question is where does a guy find new plastic pop screws if one breaks??? :( These are the screws that hold all the plastic on the car.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I ended up using black zip ties, long ones, go around several times, you may need to drill an extra hole. I put at least two in every location where the fasteners were broken or the plastic itself had broke around the holes.

The ties seem to last through the ice and snow better than those crappy fasteners that fail anyway!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Plastic Fasteners

Does anyone happen to know if there are better alternatives to the these plastic clips used to hold and fasten the bumper covers, engine covers, wheel wheels .....

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Does anyone happen to know if there are better alternatives to the these plastic clips used to hold and fasten the bumper covers, engine covers, wheel wheels .....

They are the better alternative. Just buy them smart so you don't spend too much- they're meant to be disposable so pay a disposable price for them. keep a jar of them handy for later.

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
They're easy to install & (usually) remove, they don't rust or corrode, they're pretty good at holding plastic pieces together. . .what's not to like?

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
They're easy to install & (usually) remove, they don't rust or corrode, they're pretty good at holding plastic pieces together. . .what's not to like?

I didn't even think about rust. Repressed memory? Pretty sure I've spent a year of my life dealing with rusted iron-based fasteners.

The plastic stuff just pops and breaks long before you've spent your lunch money on liquid wrench and mapp gas.

It's surely a different mechanical construction philosophy, but it's not a bad one.

·
Super Moderator
25,195 Posts
the ones that hold the interior pieces are godfucking awful, especially when the holes that are drilled into the metal to receive brand new dealer bought ones. are a little too big as they came out of the metal stamper.

hence why my tail gate interior panel is held in place with 4 sheet metal screws,...after the monkeys at the dealer could not keep it on with new fasteners,

and I did a DIY on it, and it has stayed in place for 12 years.

the right thing is rust free deus fasteners/receivers , but you only find those on airplanes and race cars / boats that you intend to pop the panels off and on every day to work on and inspect the equipment. aka "quarter turn fasteners"

·
Premium Member
4,621 Posts
I'll take Subaru's plastic pop rivets over GM's any day of the week. . . although Subaru does selectively use those "sharkbite" metal fasteners that are great for forcing you to break the panel you're intending to remove because the **** fastener just won't let go. That's mostly an upper trim thing, though. . .pillar covers.

GM used screws to retain panels in most of their interiors in the 80's. How many 80's american cars do you remember fondly for having nice, quiet, well put together interiors?

Dzus fasteners for interior panels. . . very steampunk, l like it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have a cheep door panel remover and usually don't have a problem with Subaur's trim holder Christmas tree looking things.

GM on the other hand, I would break half of the panel mounts even with the tool.

It looks like this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
arthuruscg
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing