Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Suburu Outback Limited
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting the results of plastidipping my 15 outbacks grille. I think it turned out well. I believe it was 8-10 coats total.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
I think I "f-ed" up on my attempt last summer....too pebbly and sand textured, probably didn't make the coats thick enough.........then compounded the problematic op by washing the car weeks later, leaving little teeny weeny bits of blue microfiber from the wash mitt, dammit......tried to avoid the wash mitt contact but it slipped a bit. My complaint about PD is that the finish is necessarily soft, unlike a series of paint coats.....next time, if I redo it.

The grille still looks far better than before I did the sprays BUT those little blue specks and the overall rough finish are bothering me.........do I strip it off and do it again or just motor on until I trade on the Gen 6 OB?

Steve

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT
120 Posts
I f'ed up my first attempt, too...my issue was I drove in the rain too soon after applying the last coat.

Just last week, I attempted to strip it all off and redo it. Let me tell you: it is 100x more difficult to remove than they advertise. I ended up just peeling the worst bits and repainted the whole thing. Turned out okay, but not perfect. I'm saving for the JDM grill...$400 is crazy tho

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Nice job, Charless! looks like you have a similar result to mine.

Mind you, I could live with it as is because it is such an improvement over the "orthodontic braces" look that the silver grille imparts BUT I just wish it was smoother.....

The JDM grille is really slick but a bit too expensive for me since I'm going to change over to a Gen 6 OB OR a 2019 Forester if it's more refined than the present one) sooner than later......

Whatever, I'll bet that Subaru will NOT be doing another silver grille on its new models.........the car needs the black "mouth" to look good, IMHO!

Steve

·
Registered
2015 Outback Premium w/ES+PP4
285 Posts
In my experience PlastiDip dries to a latex finish which is soft and prone to peeling, especially when applied to a sleek surface such as chrome plate. If you apply it to grills or wheels it may look great at the start, but it will begin to pockmark and then you will have a **** of a job making that look good again. Is that a reasonable assumption?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
This is just Me. But, I have a saying ...

"friends don't let friends use dip, on their car or in their lip." @LNGBRDNPWDR, sorry Bro.

Especially when we are talking about your "grill"(both grills) 'Cause after a while, they both will look like they have cancer.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
I agree that PD is NOT the miracle that so many have proclaimed it to be.......I used it to avoid the PITA of removing the front clip.........it looked so easy on YouTube BUT I never get the results that the videos appear to suggest.......if I knew that I could get the clip off w/o having to deal with the port-installed OEM arches (which, unlike the JDM parts, do NOT have a separate part on the front part of the arch........would have made removing the clip easier, I think).......also could not get my wife to help me with the removal and re-install........so, it's just me by myself.

I originally wanted to remove the grille from the clip, fine sand it and then spray with semi matte black epoxy paint which cures to a nice, hard surface after some heat application from a hair drier.......did this on my old Forester and never had a stone chip over 100K miles in NJ traffic so........

Darn it.......I'm neurotic enough to try to remove the stuff and then try again BUT if this is the best that PD can achieve, no point to it.

Steve

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Premium-20mm rear sway bar, recessed Sprinter roof rails
142 Posts
I like the look;;
white OB looks best with all black grill

different colored OB's look best with chrome trim and black grill.

How many rattle cans of dip are you guys using??

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited
10 Posts
That looks fantastic! I had been considering something similar on my 2011.

Also - Plastidip can be plenty durable with multiple coats. If you did 8-10, with the recommended waiting period in between, then I bet it will last as long as you want it to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I believe I did at least 8. Took 1 can. 30 minutes or more between coats. I read the more coats the better it would hold up too. Guess I’ll find out.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
I did at least 8-10 coats with decent drying time between coats so it may last well enough BUT it’s the texture that I loathe........

Steve

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
8 to 10 coats of this stuff, prep ...

I don't get why folks don't commit to paint. And if all these "dips" look so good. Where are the close up $ shots?

H*ll, with the vinyl wrap technology, you can get a "removable" skin with that ... I think you all just like playing with plastic paint.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 111,000+ miles
5,168 Posts
I like what I'm seeing!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I believe I did at least 8. Took 1 can. 30 minutes or more between coats. I read the more coats the better it would hold up too. Guess I’ll find out.
Did you remove the grille to treat? (if so, how difficult was that?)

+1 Plastidip away... sure it will degrade to stones and car washes over time, who cares... it's an OB, not a Porsche !!

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Removing the grille means removing the entire front clip of the car.......mechanically NOT that difficult from the numerous videos I've studied BUT the unwieldy and awkward part due to the size of the clip as it comes off the car.......a second set of hands is suggested to keep the painted part from falling off and marring the paint.....

Once you do get the clip off, the grille unscrews from the rear and simply lifts away. Piece of cake.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Removing the grille means removing the entire front clip of the car.......mechanically NOT that difficult from the numerous videos I've studied BUT the unwieldy and awkward part due to the size of the clip as it comes off the car.......a second set of hands is suggested to keep the painted part from falling off and marring the paint.....

Once you do get the clip off, the grille unscrews from the rear and simply lifts away. Piece of cake.
Thanks sounds good, recently did this on a Honda and the end clips on the grille are almost guaranteed to break when you remove it, they are very difficult to reach and oversized for the application, so good to know that this works easily enough.

·
Registered
2015 Outback LTD 2.5
1,046 Posts
Thanks sounds good, recently did this on a Honda and the end clips on the grille are almost guaranteed to break when you remove it, they are very difficult to reach and oversized for the application, so good to know that this works easily enough.
The clips are pretty easy to deal with on Subaru, the trickiest past (as far as releasing the clips) is at the sides of the front facia (always liked that word) where you have to pull the bumper part OUTWARDS toward you to release.....the clips there are not that fragile from there videos that I saw......

The front of the car, once you open the hood is much easier, just lots of pop-up clips on the top cross member by the radiator and underneath the car........I think the first fasteners to release are the ones on the bottom.......you don't want to do the top ones first because you want the facia to "hang" not pivot out.....

You obviously are braver than I was/am........BUT, again, I think it's much easier than it might look...

Report back in when you've accomplished this so I can feel even more wimpy!

Steve

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
I did more than 8 coats (plus I used the metallizer) so maybe 3-4 coats of that. It's held up really well for over 2+ years. I can wipe bugs off and there's no wrinkles or peeling. Mostly just stay away from the edges when you're trying to clean it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think instead of having someone wrap it in vinyl or whatever the case... I would just buy the JDM one. If this starts to look horrible over time I’ll debate on that or trying to redo it. Probably just JDM.

Anyway, on another note. I got the car used... something was spilled on the grille at one point on another. You could only see it depending on lighting and viewing angle. It was like a chemical spill but it stained and didn’t leave any residue. So I figured well I’ll plastidip first and then JDM if that goes poorly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts