Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2013 OB limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone contemplating this mod... DO IT. The grey grill is fugly, and this is idiot proof.
There is a great youtube video on removing the grill; took 5 minutes. The only thing not clearly described is removing the pop clips; lift the center part first, then they lift right out. Once the grill is out, disassemble it to isolate the grey part, including the 2 chrome-plastic trim pieces at the top. once apart, plastidip the grey grill and chrome pieces. i put on about 8-9 thin coats to coat thoroughly, several coats from the back to get in the crevaces. dried for several hours, reassembled, and reinstalled. the chrome Subaru emblem is part of the black base piece, so you don't need to tape it off to retain it if you disassemble the grill.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i 6spdMT
71 Posts
That does look nice :D

Wonder if it would look as good on my light-blue outback...? I really like the look on the red.

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5i Premium w/AWP 6MT
170 Posts
I wonder the same for my silver sometimes. Looks great on dark outbacks. My silver one isn't too much of an eyesore cuz it kind of matches.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The front of the black one sure looks better.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Looks nice, although I think the big black fog surrounds make a big difference too. The silver surrounds blend the silver grille, and woud look a little out of place with a black grill.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
How much of the plasti-dip product did you use, and how much did it cost? I ask because I am interested in using it to cover the gray parts of my 02 OBW. I have always wanted my car to be monochrmatic, and this product appears to be a good solution. There is a shop not far from my house that will actually do it for you, and they also are a dealer of the Plasti-dip product. Trying to get an idea of how much I would need to purchase, and the cost. I could get it from them, but if I can order direct from the manufacturer, it should cost less.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,370 Posts
That looks pretty good. How does plastidip hold up to rock chips?

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Premium
141 Posts
Nice work I did this a while back and love it. So far, I have done the front grille, fog lamp enclosures, and the rear emblems. All came out great. Here are some pics.

boxterfan67 - To do the grille only you'll only need 1 can of black plastidip. All of the stuff I did was less than 2 cans. $7 each.

·
Registered
2018 3.6 Outback Limited, 2013 2.5 Legacy Premium
534 Posts
Anyone got a pic of this one a White OB? My grill does have a chip or two in it and would'nt mind getting rid of the silver look. I've got the base model so no worries on the fogs for me, until I can find some fogs cheap at a salvage yard. But that's a different conversation :)

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Looks good Jordan. The emblems look great.

I think it was a good idea doing the fog surrounds too, makes everything blend better. I think this would look good on my CGP.. I'm also considering it for my Forester.

How long ago did you do this and how is it holding up to rock chips?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
36 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this too my Ice Silver OB for a while. After seeing Jordan's there is no doubt that it has to be done! Good call on doing the emblems too.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this too my Ice Silver OB for a while. After seeing Jordan's there is no doubt that it has to be done! Good call on doing the emblems too.
There are a few people on this site that has done it to their silver gen4's including myself. I think it's a must. Makes the badges stand out nicely against the silver.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Premium
141 Posts
Nice work I did this a while back and love it. So far, I have done the front grille, fog lamp enclosures, and the rear emblems. All came out great. Here are some pics.

how do you do the emblems?
Here you go

Pretty simple. Spray around the area. Peel off carefully. I used a toothpick to pull out the center of the letters.

·
Registered
2012 OB 2.5i Premium
141 Posts
Looks good Jordan. The emblems look great.

I think it was a good idea doing the fog surrounds too, makes everything blend better. I think this would look good on my CGP.. I'm also considering it for my Forester.

How long ago did you do this and how is it holding up to rock chips?

I've had it on 3 months now and no tears or peeling. I have washed the car many times and even scrubbed the dip areas to remove bugs without issue. Haven't seen any rocks chip it yet either. So far so good.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, Graphite Gray Metallic
15 Posts
Just PDed my grill, fog surrounds, and emblems today. Finished too late to take any good pics. Will try to take some tomorrow, though.

·
Registered
2013 OB limited
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much of the plasti-dip product did you use, and how much did it cost? I ask because I am interested in using it to cover the gray parts of my 02 OBW. I have always wanted my car to be monochrmatic, and this product appears to be a good solution. There is a shop not far from my house that will actually do it for you, and they also are a dealer of the Plasti-dip product. Trying to get an idea of how much I would need to purchase, and the cost. I could get it from them, but if I can order direct from the manufacturer, it should cost less.
Menards, $6. used less than one can. i definitely recommend removing the grill if possible. less prep with masking and has cleaner lines. Can't attest to durability, but will have it prof painted if the dop wears bad now that i know i like the black.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6MT w/AWP
59 Posts
Here it is. It's my first time posting pictures on a forum, so I hope it works. Thinking of doing the wheels next. Let me know what you guys think.
How do you like the PDed color on the Graphite Gray? I feel like the colors would be just different enough to bother the **** out of me. What's your opinion?

EDIT x2: What I really want to know is: how does the plasti-dip color match the bumper?

·
Registered
2012 Outback Limited, Graphite Gray Metallic
15 Posts
How do you like the PDed color on the Graphite Gray? I feel like the colors would be just different enough to bother the **** out of me. What's your opinion?

EDIT x2: What I really want to know is: how does the plasti-dip color match the bumper?
I honestly had the same concern. But the railing on top of the car is also a black plastic. So I would say that if the rails being black bothers you, then you might not want to PD the other light-gray plastic.

But I decided to proceed.

While it's noticeable, it's not really bothersome (to me). I think if by some chance PD had a Graphite Gray color spray, that might be a bit overkill. Almost like the black on black on black, unless done well, can be a bit much. On the GG color, the matte black is almost like a trim, a dark highlight of sorts. I don't know if that really makes as much sense as it does in my head.

I'll try to get some better pictures in the upcoming days, including some closeups. But I'm trying not to wash it too soon after applying the PD. And I don't want to post pics of how dirty my Outback is right now. :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts