Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
With the 3 options.....I would go aftermarket wheels as you can get the color and the offset you want. Plastidip is just a quick temp solution, for me on LI powder coating a set of wheels will get you real close to buying a set of used wheels. You can use the OEMs to run winter tires too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A few more pics.
Hi,

I've driven an impreza for 15 years and now looking at the upgrading to a 2019 outback. The 2019 has the 3.6 engine that I want and it doesn't have oversized infotainment unit that I'm not too keen of, but I like the look of the 2020 outdoor xt so much more, with less chrome accents and more rugged look. Anyway, I came across pics of your outback here and it's got to be the sexiest one I've ever seen.
Did you change the chrome trim around the windows and grill?? And how do you do that?

What year is yours?

·
Registered
135 Posts
on my first car I didn’t have enough money to get nice rims I was able to scrounge up some I had diferent rims ot the left side than the right it looked good and no one noticed as you can only see 1 side at a time.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi,

I've driven an impreza for 15 years and now looking at the upgrading to a 2019 outback. The 2019 has the 3.6 engine that I want and it doesn't have oversized infotainment unit that I'm not too keen of, but I like the look of the 2020 outdoor xt so much more, with less chrome accents and more rugged look. Anyway, I came across pics of your outback here and it's got to be the sexiest one I've ever seen.
Did you change the chrome trim around the windows and grill?? And how do you do that?

What year is yours?
Mine is a 2018. I used Plastidip for everything, including going around the window trim. It wasn't hard, but took time. I know others have bought black vinyl and covered Chrome that way, as well. I also dislike the infotainment screen on the new ones, especially how they integrated HVAC controls and heated seat controls into the screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 outback 2.5 touring
7 Posts
I couldn't disagree more with everyone bashing on Plastidip. I think it's a great solution that holds up really well and if you don't like it, peel it off and you're out about $10 to do all four rims. I've Plastidipped the wheels on my daily driver and it's held up for three years without problems. I've also had new tires put on wheels with Plastidip. It messed up a little in a couple places where rim meets tire, but you get new tires every few years and it's as easy to fix as holding a piece of paper over the tire and touching up the blemish. Not sure why you shoud "Never plastidip, especially on a brand new vehicle" ^^^^^ age has nothing to do with it. I did mine within a few weeks of bringing it home. Plastidip is a great option and cheap. It's a great place to start and then you can upgrade to something else if you don't like it.
plastic dip comes in clear also. make sure you clean all grease,wax and dirt off before spraying

·
Registered
2012 Outback Ltd 3.6r
404 Posts
Might be cheaper to use Vinyl wrap, as opposed to the Plastidip, and it tend to be more durable. The 'dip' takes longer, allowing each coat to dry, before the next is applied, and you end up using quite a few cans. - If you do go with the spray Plastidip, apply the clear/outer coat, it makes it longer lasting, and gives it some UV protection.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts