Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about doing this on my grill and other parts of it. What do you guys think of it or have you heard about it?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Quite a few people have used this. I have all outside grey or silver parts done, except the wheels, and the thing around the shifter. For me there was a learning curve to getting it right, texture & peel quality. The hardest was the window trim. I'd advise doing those in sections, instead of a whole side at once, and doing quick coats with a moderately wet peel - there's nothing to create a good tear (like on the logos) so tape close and peel wet. Go into the What did you do sticky to see lots of examples. Somebody just did a bunch. I did an ugly old electric guitar and now it looks pretty cool, except for where I lit it on fire now looks like teeth marks instead of burns.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Quite a few people have used this. I have all outside grey or silver parts done, except the wheels, and the thing around the shifter. For me there was a learning curve to getting it right, texture & peel quality. The hardest was the window trim. I'd advise doing those in sections, instead of a whole side at once, and doing quick coats with a moderately wet peel - there's nothing to create a good tear (like on the logos) so tape close and peel wet. Go into the What did you do sticky to see lots of examples. Somebody just did a bunch. I did an ugly old electric guitar and now it looks pretty cool, except for where I lit it on fire now looks like teeth marks instead of burns.
Cool, very interested, can you post pics of your car, especially the window trim?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's a few. Like Paul, I removed my grill. This helped:

Windows:

Close up of what happens if you wait too long to peel on the window trim:

The first two whole car pics are taken with the sloppy trim, so you can see that even though it's not perfect yet, you can still drive around and barely notice it until you have another chance to fix it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sweet thanks for the help guys. I also just got some rally armer on my car yesterday now looking at the wheel arches molding. I called the subaru shop in town and they said 399.99$ for all four.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Looks better with the grille all blacked out! Me thinks, I'll be plastidipping the chrome part I left soon.
I saw a pic where someone did the opposite of yours (top black/bottom silver), except with carbon fiber vinyl. The 2-tone might work with a darker car, but on the silver like you have I think all black would look good (personal taste, of course). Hey, if you don't like it just peel it off, right? Not sure if it would dull the finish of the fake chrome, but I plan on keeping it long enough that it wouldn't affect the resale value anyway.

@vijpeterson - 399 seems to be dealer normal for the arches. You can save some buying online and DIY. Either way arches + rally armor are worth it for looks alone, protection is a bonus.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's a few. Like Paul, I removed my grill. This helped:
4th Gen Subaru Outback Grille Removal! - YouTube

Windows:

Close up of what happens if you wait too long to peel on the window trim:

The first two whole car pics are taken with the sloppy trim, so you can see that even though it's not perfect yet, you can still drive around and barely notice it until you have another chance to fix it.
Great vid! 299 was just to buy it not installed. they was a link on here somewhere for the wheel arches for 235-250 I think.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I just did the grille last night on my 2010.
I decided to cover the silver portion of the grille and leave the chrome as is. Will be assembling tonight back.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
How does it do when driven through, say, sleet at 70mph?
I am also wondering this.
As long as the Plasti Dip has enough time to cure properly, it will stay put through rain, sleet, and car washes. If you are going to Plasti Dip the chrome pieces of the front grill, I would recommend sanding and/or using self-etching primer before applying Plasti Dip - this will give you a much better surface for the Plasti Dip to adhere too since the chrome can be "slippery".

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/99-do-yourself-illustrated-guides/75785-diy-gen-4-plasti-dip-front-grill-rear-emblems.html

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
14 Participants
GLwagon
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing