Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when replacing calipers and brakes on my 2000 subaru legacy 172,000 miles i notice extreme play in the passenger wheel. when i placed my hands on the top and bottom of the tire, the tire moved back and forth at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch. is it the constent velocity joint? what ever the problem is, should i do the repair on the other side.
thanks
stickman161

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
wow - if that's the wheel bearing, it's in bad shape. Often folks find bad soob bearings that may only let the wheel move a coupla millimeters.

I suppose the ball joint might be bad depending on what's actually moving.

More diagnosis is needed. It's quite possible at the age of your car that several hard suspension parts are worn-out and bushings collapsed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
when replacing calipers and brakes on my 2000 subaru legacy 172,000 miles i notice extreme play in the passenger wheel. when i placed my hands on the top and bottom of the tire, the tire moved back and forth at least 1/2 to 3/4 inch. is it the constent velocity joint? what ever the problem is, should i do the repair on the other side.
thanks
stickman161
A wheel bearing with that much play would be coming apart. Spec is no more than 3 mm/.12" of play. Most likely it is the ball joint, with the strut mounting bolts being another possibility. At that mileage, replace both sides if you plan to be the long term owner.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,454 Posts
With that much play it should be obvious what the problem is by looking at the suspension components while moving the tire. It is most likly the ball joint. Look at the ball joint while someone moves the wheel.

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
I know this sounds stupid, check your lug nuts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't seem to be the ball joint. when moving the tire i can see the section going into the spindle moving in and out, like the nut might be lose.

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
is the strut moving at the top or are the bolts loose as mentioned?

anyway - get this fixed before driving it!

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
struts were replaced last year. why don't i hear any noises?
thanks
dunno about the noise - but you see movement where there shouldn't be any and it seems very unsafe to me!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
thanks
stickman161
First thought is the ball joint and the tie rod with that many miles and that age especially if your in the salt belt those two items will see excessive abuse and wear and can contribute to this sort of play in the wheel. A wheel bearing will not have play in it unless its actually failing and physically coming appart which case you would notice it WAY WAY before now while driving due to the loud drone they make when they start to fail. They don't get loose like that till they are nearly totally toast and you would for sure know you had a major issue driving the car.

·
Premium Member
18,665 Posts
Although I don't know how much movement it would create, there are a coupla bushings in the lower control arm that could be trashed. The liquid filled one at the rear seems to be weak - I'm changing them out on my wife's car, 70K miles. But I'd think that would be more of an in-out movement than rocking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts