Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Outback for around a month. Held out as long as I could before blacking it out with PlastiDip. I've done a few cars before and it's pretty easy to use. Figured I'd show some pics of the process.

The front:

Not a fan of the empty oval where the front logo is, so picked up some black on black logos for the front and rear. It's subtle and doesn't photograph too well, especially in my garage, but looks great in person, I think.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also did the window trim on both sides. This took forever, just because of all the taping I had to do.

Will be doing the lower "Outback" on each side in the future, but ran out of time today. Obviously the wheels need to be black, but I'm planning on upgrading to all terrain tires in the coming months and want to wait until I have them on in case the shop would mess up the PlastiDip.

·
Premium Member
2016 OB Premium
95 Posts
Prep Question

TO LS1BadBird -how did you prep the grille to make sure the plastic dip stick to the plastic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TO LS1BadBird -how did you prep the grille to make sure the plastic dip stick to the plastic.

The nice thing about Plasti-Dip is that it requires very little prep. All I do is make sure it's nice and clean. I've done it to my other car two years ago and it's still going strong.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Should also mention that I put some paper behind the grill to prevent the spray from getting in the radiator. You can see it in the first pic.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Really like the look of your window trim. I was explaining doing this to my wife when she says "What car have you seen that looks like that?" I simply point at her honda, point WON!

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
603 Posts
Lime green window trim would look really trippy.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i
26 Posts
The car looks nice Ls1BarBird!

Where'd you get the black on black emblem?

I've been planning on Plasti dipping the side trim but I'm waiting for a good weekend..

Might have to do the front grill now also lol.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car looks nice Ls1BarBird!

Where'd you get the black on black emblem?

I've been planning on Plasti dipping the side trim but I'm waiting for a good weekend..

Might have to do the front grill now also lol.
The emblem is a vinyl sticker I bought on eBay. Four of them (two front and two rear so you have a spare for each) was something like $12.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5i Ltd 5MT
195 Posts
How many cans did you end up using for this project? Do you have a link to the vinyl sticker? I'm having a hard time finding one on tha bay. Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How many cans did you end up using for this project? Do you have a link to the vinyl sticker? I'm having a hard time finding one on tha bay. Thanks!
If you search "outback emblem overlay" there are several to choose from, many of which offer different color combinations.

This is the third set of wheels I've done, and I feel about three cans of spray PlastiDip for four wheels is a good amount. I can tell you the more you put on the more texture it has, but also the easier it is to remove.

·
Registered
2014 outback named Krugeroo. We bought it on friday the 13th.
23 Posts
can you keep making layers on body panels? Ive got some deep scratches on my 2014 on the lower front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts