Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing a 2015 Outback 2.5i Premium. It has 74,000+ miles but is otherwise in pristine physical condition. My mechanic okayed brakes, engine, tires etc, everything he looked at looks in good condition. However, several codes came up in 4 different modules. Only one is Current (B14A1), but in reading some forums here and elsewhere, I am concerned about a continuing problem that does not seem to have been addressed by Subaru as yet.
I am trying to attach a list of the codes, but if anyone has any information about these or any opinions on whether I should buy this car, please feel free!
I do have an extended warranty attached to my auto loan for 1 or 2 years, but I really don't want to have this thing in for service all the time.

Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd Obsidian Black 5MT
1,079 Posts
Well, those codes might be from something being unplugged at some point. Maybe some work was done under the dash?

The sunload sensor might be unplugged as well, that could be setting the current code.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Lot of miles for a two year old car. Does it have a complete service history?

Since you had a mechanic check it out, what did he say about the codes?

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
Don't Buy it. Too many miles, and codes.
Lot of miles for a two year old car...
Keep in mind that in some areas that have many commuters (e.g. half of southern NH commuting to Boston), putting 25-40k highway miles per year on a car is not unusual or suspicious. Miles alone shouldn't keep you from buying the car.

There seems to be a lot of info out there about these types of codes being common (e.g. https://www.justanswer.com/lexus/1jq95-hi-lexus-ls430-year-2004-i-recently-purchased.html). Personally, I would use the code as a bargaining chip to get some money off the car. It's unlikely to be anything serious, but might be enough to save you some money.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
weak battery can sometimes set spurious codes.

I guess there was no sign of collision?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Z28dug: He was thinking there maybe a short somewhere causing the "lost comm" codes and I did find a thread somewhere which mentioned a similar issue. The car fax report lists regular service, oil changes, etc and one AC service visit. Two owners: first was a leased company car where most of the miles came from, second private. Both in same local area not too far from me

1 Lucky Team: no sign of collision or evidence of body work, battery checked out

The dealer is supposed to be no haggle, but I asked anyway and waiting for a response, so we will see. Thank you so much for your responses. I've been wanting a Subaru for awhile now and finally have this opportunity but don't want to end up in worse shape than I am now

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Ltd Outback (Tungsten)
835 Posts
Don't Buy it. Too many miles, and codes.
I'm with this guy - you should be able to find something with fewer miles and no red flags. I'd try to find a used 2016 if I was looking, they are a bit less problematic than the 2015s.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Z28dug: He was thinking there maybe a short somewhere causing the "lost comm" codes and I did find a thread somewhere which mentioned a similar issue. The car fax report lists regular service, oil changes, etc and one AC service visit. Two owners: first was a leased company car where most of the miles came from, second private. Both in same local area not too far from me

1 Lucky Team: no sign of collision or evidence of body work, battery checked out

The dealer is supposed to be no haggle, but I asked anyway and waiting for a response, so we will see. Thank you so much for your responses. I've been wanting a Subaru for awhile now and finally have this opportunity but don't want to end up in worse shape than I am now
I would be inclined not to buy a car that a mechanic suspected had a short somewhere. It is certainly not going to get better.

Is the no haggle dealer a CarMax?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
z28dug - No it's a local dealership and they refuse to budge, so moving on. I do have a few 2016s flagged to check out this week, so hopefully will have better luck. At least I figured out that the Outback is indeed the vehicle I want :)
Thanks for your advice!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
z28dug - No it's a local dealership and they refuse to budge, so moving on. I do have a few 2016s flagged to check out this week, so hopefully will have better luck. At least I figured out that the Outback is indeed the vehicle I want :)
Thanks for your advice!!
with that list of historical codes, it would seem that this car has or had a issue with the weak battery subaru provided with the car originally.

and those that have had it were not smart enough to clean out all the old junk codes.

_____

beware:
2015 and newer outbacks and legacys have a systemic issue with a weak battery choice from the factory. this board is covered in threads and posts including fixes with a bigger better battery.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 2.5i 4 inch ADF lift 215/70/16 BFG's Sparco Wheels
86 Posts
I would say the year model isn't as Important as how many miles it has on it given two conditions

1- The Odometer is correct
2. - Don't get a year model with too many know issues

Happy Hunting !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now seriously looking at a 2016 with 30,000m without all those pesky codes. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, good you didn't buy one. I remember when I was buying Dodge Neon back in the days, which was said to be ultimately not reliable car and I went for it cause I was clueless. So many obvious red flags which I didn't realize back then, of course crashed on the street week later... I've switched for my first Subaru back then as my friend from DSRLeasing has advised :)
The one with 30k only seems to be very good deal if no further red flags out there. Good luck on getting one :)

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Yeah, good you didn't buy one. I remember when I was buying Dodge Neon back in the days, which was said to be ultimately not reliable car and I went for it cause I was clueless. So many obvious red flags which I didn't realize back then, of course crashed on the street week later... I've switched for my first Subaru back then as my friend from DSRLeasing has advised :)
The one with 30k only seems to be very good deal if no further red flags out there. Good luck on getting one :)
LOL, see you are still shilling for some obscure leasing company in every post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts