Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching the 2018 Subaru Outback (3.6R Limited) as a possible new vehicle. In doing my research I've come across a LOT of internet posts and chatter regarding problems with the infotainment systems/head unit/radio etc. It seems like a LOT of people are having problems with it freezing up, crashing, etc. So I'm now wondering are the problems widespread across all owners? Or am I just seeing the posts from the "minority" of the owners who are having problems? I'm guess I'm wondering is there also a large segment of owners who are NOT having any of the infotainment system issue. If so, I'd appreciate if you could post and let me know your experiences. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I have a 2018 OB base with the 6.5" screen. It hasn't had the problems you talking about. Worst thing so far is my cell stopped connecting for awhile.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Crystal White Pearl Outback 3.6R Touring
89 Posts
I've been researching the 2018 Subaru Outback (3.6R Limited) as a possible new vehicle. In doing my research I've come across a LOT of internet posts and chatter regarding problems with the infotainment systems/head unit/radio etc. It seems like a LOT of people are having problems with it freezing up, crashing, etc. So I'm now wondering are the problems widespread across all owners? Or am I just seeing the posts from the "minority" of the owners who are having problems? I'm guess I'm wondering is there also a large segment of owners who are NOT having any of the infotainment system issue. If so, I'd appreciate if you could post and let me know your experiences. Thanks.
I've had my 2018 3.6 Touring for 4 weeks......no issues . Built in March. :smile2:

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
My 2018 OB, purchased in January this year, doesn't have any infotainment 'issues' per-se.

I might not like how the design of the radio makes it turn on when I don't want it to.
I might not like how long it's taking for map updates.

But.... I have not experienced the freeze-ups or blank screens that others have described. It also connects to my home 5G WiFi whenever it's in the garage. I don't know how useful that is, but it does it O.K.

I do see that sometimes it says XM is initializing a very long time, but since the free trial expired I didn't subscribe, so don't really care about that.

·
Registered
2018 Outback, 3.6R Touring
31 Posts
I've had my 2018 Touring 3.6R since November of 2017 and I've only had a serious problem with the radio once. I had the problem with the screen staying on despite the car being off. After it sat outside overnight in the cold of a hotel parking lot, I was still able to start it and drive to an auto parts store and disconnect the battery and all was well.

I've had the audio cut out a once or twice, but turning it off and restarting it after a few minutes cleared those errors.

While I haven't been 100% trouble free I've only had one instance of it being a real pain. If I had it to do again, I would still buy the car. I had a 2017 impreza with the same radio, and it was WAY worse. So from my perspective progress is being made with these software updates.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
I’ve had a 2018 Touring for nearly a year. About four brief freezes in the first couple of months, then none at all for the last 8 months. Works beautifully.

After following this thread for nearly a year, my private theory is that the problems owners report may result from the the devices they connect to the infotainment unit, and how they do it. Could be wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
My '15 3.6R info system has been problem free since day 1.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 3.6
14 Posts
I've got the 2016 H/K system. Works well. (Although I think I have a crappy USB cable; sometimes it switches to Pandora when first connecting up).

Upgrading the system... is a nightmare. if you want to do an audio upgrade, I recommend against the H/K system. The amp under the seat does all the control; volume, fade, etc. Which means you can't remove it easily.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Premium
81 Posts
2018 Outback Premium about four months old and no problems so far.

We are all so spoiled with reliable home computers and smartphones that we just expect car computers to be the same way. Cars are kept in extreme environments with wide swings in temperature. It's a miracle the head units work at all, let alone connecting perfectly to smartphones with stranded copper wires a little thicker than a human hair. It sucks to pay $30,000+ and struggle with something that seems so basic, but it's not basic at all.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The system might not be perfect but it is much better than the 17 system. My 18 loaner I've had for a few days has a few quirks but the Android auto apple car play makes it stand out. My 17 if I tell the infotainment system to call Mom, it says okay tuning to Sirius XM channel 87. Seriously?

The one thing I noticed about the 18 is the FM reception seemed poor with static and distortion on my favorite channel where my 17 is Crystal clear on the same channel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R, Tungsten Metallic, Black Rhino Boxers, BF Goodrich KO'2,Chrome tips, yellow lamin-x fog light film.
106 Posts
2015,3.6r 48,000 or so on the car, no issues
(apart for the stupid auto play thing)

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
3 Posts
No issues. The only time there was a problem was when I hooked up my Android phone after loading it with the Android P beta, which had a lot of other issues. It wouldn't stay connected to Android Auto so the head unit got confused. I turned the car off, then back on after 20 seconds and it worked again.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
177 Posts
WVFreebyrd if you are looking to buy a 2018, then those replying with anything older than a 2018 OB will not have the same head unit as the 2018 with the carplay and AA functionality.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
WVFreebyrd if you are looking to buy a 2018, then those replying with anything older than a 2018 OB will not have the same head unit as the 2018 with the carplay and AA functionality.

Yeah, I noted some of the replies were from pre-2018 owners. Probably should have been more clear in my original post I was seeking input from 2018 model year owners who are dealing with the new unit.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
155 Posts
I took delivery of a 2018 3.6R Outback - fully loaded. That was around March 1st 2018. I've had no problems. It's really a well built, well thought out design. I would recommend it.

It's human nature - people post about problems - they rarely post when their is no problem.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts