Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would folks mind sharing some of their real-world experience with the Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty? Did you buy it and not use it, or did it end up being a real lifesaver? Or did you NOT buy it, and then later found yourself wishing that you would have? Has the plan covered what you expected that it would, or did you end up with repair bills that you thought should be covered by Gold Plus?

Generally, I believe that extended warranties are a waste of money. But there are some exceptions. For example, I always enroll for Applecare when I buy a new laptop computer, and every single one of my past four computers has ended up needing major service that was covered by Applecare. My new 2020 Outback is loaded with WAY more technology and features than my previous 2006 Legacy, which leaves me wondering if the same rule might not apply?

·
Registered
2 x 2019 Outback 3.6 R Limited
20 Posts
Would folks mind sharing some of their real-world experience with the Subaru Gold Plus extended warranty? Did you buy it and not use it, or did it end up being a real lifesaver? Or did you NOT buy it, and then later found yourself wishing that you would have? Has the plan covered what you expected that it would, or did you end up with repair bills that you thought should be covered by Gold Plus?

Generally, I believe that extended warranties are a waste of money. But there are some exceptions. For example, I always enroll for Applecare when I buy a new laptop computer, and every single one of my past four computers has ended up needing major service that was covered by Applecare. My new 2020 Outback is loaded with WAY more technology and features than my previous 2006 Legacy, which leaves me wondering if the same rule might not apply?
Save your money My wife scrapped a curb backing out of the parking lot. New tire covered by warranty. Seems the wheel bearing has gone bad, but it won't be covered by warranty.... Why have it.........

·
Registered
9 Posts
We just bought a 2020 Limited and was wondering the same thing. I too am not a big believer in add on warranties. The cost I was quoted was $1,220, but not sure if that is for the Classic or Gold plan. Has anyone had big problems with all that technology in our highly rated Subarus?

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,033 Posts
Save your money My wife scrapped a curb backing out of the parking lot. New tire covered by warranty. Seems the wheel bearing has gone bad, but it won't be covered by warranty.... Why have it.........
Same corner? They may be using the previous run-in with the curb as the cause of the bearing issue.

My experience - I had mine when the tires were covered, ended up with a full set of tires covered at around 60-70% when I picked up a screw in one at 24,000 miles. The wear was such that 4 tires were needed so Subaru covered 4 tires pro-rated. I never used it for anything else, and I'll pass 100,000 miles in the next few months, with only bulbs, fluids, tires and brakes needed. (uh oh, I better go buy a lottery ticket)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts