Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Subie owners like to see where they are going, so I thought I would post this up.

An employee at the shop I work in sells HID headlight kits. Now here's the kicker. They are plug and play lights. The bulb and ballast run AC and plug in series with the OE light harness. Made in Japan so they are not cheap knock offs. No splicing. No inline fuses. No large bulky ballast. No excess wires.

I installed these lights on my car inside 1 hour. And they made a huge difference. The fogs took 10 minutes. The low beams a little longer because of the tight space I now have in the engine compartment. The only modification I made was to cut a hole in the back of the lamp cover to allow the HID harness to come through.

See the pics. If you want to contact him, its an Austin area code and 5760134. He has different temperatures and all the kits are vehicle specific. Cost is low.:29:

He also suggested leaving a message if you get voicemail or send txt. He will ship.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
Where are the kits that aren't plug-n-play? That picture on your engine cover shows what they've been like for years.

Yay for one more car on the road using HID bulbs in stock halogen housings...:(

·
Registered
91 Posts
Awesome, I would love to have some HID's in my 2005 OBXT with the projector-style housing. Stock housing or not, WOW what a difference HID"s make on dark rural roads. I installed HID's on my old Dodge truck several years ago (that involved splicing wires) and I could see lane lines, deer waiting by the road, and all sorts of things that previously didn't show up until I rolled over them.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see a lot of cars that have HID kits that include a bulky ballast, poor fit lights and have to be spliced into the engine harness or lighting harness. About half the cars I see with HID lights end up needing to be reverted back to OE because the owner of the car can't get replacement parts and at times, the light assemblies need to be replaced due to modifications made to allow for the light to fit proper.

This is the second manufactured kit that I have seen that is easily installed, the lights fit, and there's no splicing. Vehicle specific kits so it plugs into the existing light harness. The difference is Sang is able to sell them cheap with a warranty.

I wouldn't have posted the thread unless I knew it was worth it.

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,945 Posts
These kits have been available for years and can be had for as little as $35 from ddmtuning. They are OK in a projector style housing, but work poorly in the reflector style housings.

·
Registered
03 Baja Yellow 5MT 235k miles & 09 Outback 2.5i Quartz Silver 5MT 105k miles
88 Posts
Yeah I see these plug n play kits all over ebay for about $35 to $40. This is nothing new.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
112 Posts
These plug n play kits work okay-ish in projector lamps,
but in reflectors you might as well put HIGH beams on,
because you'll get alot of light everywhere but the floor.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No. Proper adjustment of the headlight prevents blinding other drivers and puts the light where its supposed to be. With the HID in the fogs, that really lights up the road surface.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Going to disagree there.

Adjusting them makes it better, but does nothing for the fact that HID is designed for a projector style lens and running them in the stock reflector style just is not the best bet.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
HID in fog lamps is an overkill, in my opinion not to mention the fact that HID are normally installed only in projector lenses, as mentioned by AWDFTW.

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
No. Proper adjustment of the headlight prevents blinding other drivers and puts the light where its supposed to be. With the HID in the fogs, that really lights up the road surface.
Take a picture of your car in a garage at night and show us that the light isn't on the walls and ceiling.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
HID in fogs will light up everything alright. Completely scatter light everywhere HID in halogen reflectors are horrible.

the hid fail gallery

No matter how well you think your aiming the lights light will still scatter being the the reflector was not designed for hid.

HID Newb Crash Course
I am glad I did not jump on that HID band wagon trend... for me, higher intensity conventional bulbs will do (as they always did in the past).

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I will admit to being one of those with the HID kit in a halogen reflector then HID Planet helped me educate myself. They have tons of info and projects with videos and pictures on how to's.

With the OB's, well I do not want to bake the headlights...just yet. So in our case a HID kit works "OK" in our projectors. Stellar when compared to a halogen reflector. But I am NOT going to put HID in the fogs, unless I intend to only use them on back roads only

I love the folks with the purple and blue kits, i wonder how they see at night. Notice the light scatter on the overhang...

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have a garage to take a photo for comparison. I'll see what I can do for reference to the lighting.

Prior to installing the HID, I tried several different type and manufacture bulbs, aiming, etc. I never could get good lighting. I looked into the HID and was skeptical to install a set since I've seen different light "kits" on other vehicles and the bending of the light never looked right.

I installed these and it made a huge difference. The road is lit up better both in distance out from the front of the car and out to the sides. I don't see a glare upwards that creates a "blinding" to other drivers. They don't get hot like a halogen. And like any other modification I do to any of my cars, I can always find an improvement since there are many tools and supplies at my disposal.

As for the fogs. Huge difference in the fog. The brighter white lights up the road surface better than halogens when thick fog is present and it doesn't glare back as if the high beams were on.

As with any aftermarket add on, the manufacture quality of the product and the fitment to your vehicle also make a difference in the outcome of functionality. I didn't buy "knock off" Chinese light kits. They aren't a cheap manufactured American copy either. And, if I find something that works better, they are easily removed and replaced since there wasn't any extra wiring or adaptation necessary other than for the harness to exit the cap. For now, they are doing what I wanted. Lighting up the road with an even spread of light forward and to the sides better than all the different halogens I have been trying.

Several people also tried to tell me the supercharger wouldn't work on my H6. Proved that theory wrong.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Well, if you can find a way to focus them onto only the road, then I say go for it. Around here they are a growing fad that has me blinded while driving more often than not. 98% of folks don't know how or bother to install them correctly which leads me to say this phrase while driving, "Oh great, I'm being followed by another idiot with A-hole (abbreviated for moderators) lights." If one of these guys is coming towards me I'm tempted to turn on my high-beams.

If you can get them to work without the focusing provided by a projector lamp, great. If you are another fool blinding the rest of us with super bright annoying "a-hole" lights, switch back to something more considerate to your fellow drivers.

·
Registered
2000 Limited Wagon 5MT
303 Posts
Cardoc, you seem to be missing something the rest of us understand very clearly. You did not buy a vehicle specific kit. You bought a BULB specific kit that your friend is hocking as vehicle specific because that kind of marketing plays into the very human desire to have something made just for you. Chinese, Japanese, American manufactured, it doesn't matter. It's still a HID bulb in a halogen housing that you didn't re-engineer with the "many supplies at your disposal."

I don't buy your lack of photos comment. You have posted many pictures of your car in a garage, one you apparently own or work in. Coming here and contributing useful advice is a wonderful thing. Coming here and trying to present something the rest of the world knew about five years ago and saying you know better is lame.

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You'd be surprised at what I can do. Anything built can be modified. Either for the better or worse. I know about the a hole lighting. Gets on my nerves. The last thing I want is to blind someone coming at me, especially on some of these two lane roads with 70 mph speed zones.

The only garage is the one I work in. The building has security cameras and lights. So, getting the car into a dark box so as to be able to see where the light reflects is not an option at hand.

I will see what can be done to get photos, other than the ones posted already.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
Here is a link to someone who installed a kit in their 2000 OB

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/6504-hid-kit-my-2000-obw.html

From the pics he is way to close to get a good idea of glare and let me tell you that hot spot in the center will expand at 25ft and spread that light everywhere. Unless you modified a HID bulb or your reflector bowl, light will not be properly focused where it needs to go. Are you not getting the point? It is not how much light you put out of your housing but how effectlively that light is aimed with your equipment to put it where it needs to be (on the road). But you have no pics at all, **** I lived in New York City and could park somewhere to take a picture...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts