Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what the most easiest motor to swap into my 2006 Outback 2.5i Limited besides the Legacy GT/Outback XT? I currently have the SOHC EJ253 & I wanna plan for a little ooomph (TURBO) in the near future.

Would the WRX EJ255 (2006–2014) play nice for a swap as it seems to be more common and is there anything else I would need to take into concideration to accomplish my turbo goal for my '06 OB?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,494 Posts
Turbo-swapping a 2006 Outback is not for the faint of heart.

It's much, much more difficult than it would be with an earlier generation of the car & donor.

Another member is in the midst of attempting a [strike]turbo[/strike] supercharger project on his similar car- you might learn a bit following his posts.

At the end of the day, building your own boosted Subaru is still recognized as the expensive and difficult method, vs just buying a GT/XT. But I can understand wanting the bragging rights- there really is something to that.

1990s Subarus are still easy to swap and build up, but anything after 2000 gets tricky, and from 2005 it gets harder still.

·
Registered
2006 OB 2.5i Limited
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turbo-swapping a 2006 Outback is not for the faint of heart.

It's much, much more difficult than it would be with an earlier generation of the car & donor.

Another member is in the midst of attempting a turbo project on his similar car- you might learn a bit following his posts.
Please point me to the chosen one!

·
Registered
2005 18psi supercharged U5 Outback w/207k+ miles
825 Posts
Hey that is my supercharger project... I'm pretty much done at this point . Driving it daily, just tinkering with a few little things. I'm happy with it but would like to bump up the power already (around 180whp 180 ft lb now with 6 psi--would like to see 200.) That is one problem with any bolt on Supercharger or turbo... you will run out of power with the stock bottom end right around 200ish whp. I have read you can do a couple other things, maybe get up to 220whp with cams (still stock bottom end) but 200 seems like a good safe number to stop at.

XT's I believe are 200 whp right out of the box with quite a bit of room to grow without messing with the bottom end.

Here is my build thread.
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...6026-raptor-sc-my-05-california-2-5i-5mt.html

I think supercharger would be easier than turbo but less efficient. Seems like we make the same amount of power at 8 psi that AVO kits make at 6 PSI (around 200 whp).

What people tell you that you could sell your 2006 and buy an XT for less money is true... so there is that :)
I always like to see what's out there. He is an 2005 XT with 135k miles for 6k. Definitely cheaper and low miles by 60k! than my supercharged 2005! https://vermont.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2005-subaru-outback-25-xt/6260962313.html

If I were to do it again... assuming I was still going to do the supercharger: When I did my headgaskets I would have re-done the bottom end with STI rods and aftermarket forged pistons on my 253 heads to end up with roughly the same as stock 10:1 compression ratio and probably Delta 1500 cams. Then I could run the blower to it's max 11 PSI and get a little more power out of it. I think 250whp+ would be where you end up. Don't forget a good new clutch too! If you don't need to do any work at the moment, just bolt it on and worry about upgrades later.

Check our Raptor superchargers - http://raptorsc.com.au/subaru/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts