Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a wore set from Autozone to replace my stock ones to address this misfire issue. Got them home, got the battery out to start swapping and found out that they are too short. The long ones by over 8 inches.

Going back to Autozone, they double check the computer and part number and the parts they gave me say they should work. We compared a different brand of wire and the same issue. Also check Legacy's and Impreza's with H4 NA engines, they all reference the same part number. They refund my money and suggest a dealer.

So where did you guys go and what part numbers did you have to use to find a wire set that fit?

Is there a difference between the normal engine and the PZEV wires?

·
Registered
18,174 Posts
No problem on my 2007 with NGK RC-FX101 a couple of years ago. Bought from dealer but should be available elsewhere.

I just checked the NGK site and it's not listing a wire set for the 2009, but still lists the same for my 07. That seem strange. Was there a big change between 07 and 09? I doubt there's a difference with the PZEV.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
Recommend Subaru or NGK wires.

Too many aftermarket issues with fit or misfires.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the NGK part number? When I plug my OB into their online part search, they say that they don't have any wires for that car.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Autozone

Bosch Part #09479
Duralast Part #09148

Advance

Autolite #97066

BKR7E- Plugs

·
Registered
2007 Subaru Outback, 2.5L
34 Posts
Wires

The wires I got from Advance were incorrect (Autolite). The first set was supposed to be for my 2007 OB, but they were far too short. Advance ended up finding the wires to fit from a Forester, not an Outback. The other auto parts stores would have to order them.

It was a complete fiasco to change them. When I went to take out the old wires and plugs, the metal part inside the boot was stuck on the plug. So, when I took the wires out of the box to go ahead and get started, the longest wire was 12 inches too short. I was stuck at my mechanics garage, he lets me use his shop outside of regular hours, with no wire to go get the right set. His son ended up taking me home to get another car to begin the search.

If the dealer was not so far away from me, I would probably go there.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shadow, the two part numbers you list from Autozone are the incorrect wires. Those are the ones I tried and found they were too short.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
How about the one's from (Advance Parts) are they short also?

Maybe just go to Dealer, pay a little more and be done with it.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
If I remember correctly, California Emissions spec Subarus have different plug wires. At least the 2nd gen OBWs do, I don't know about the newer ones.

·
Registered
2009 2.5i, H4, Auto.
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
An update on this.

I finally found a correct set of wires for my car.

Karlyn STI® 809 - Subaru Outback 2005-2009 Spark Plug Wire Set

In the end, the price (including shipping) was roughly what I paid for the incorrect wires from Autozone. Mixed feelings about CarID after that experience. I replaced the plugs as well, since I was down in there.

One recommendation to anyone reading this in the future: When you go to get spark plug wires, look at how the wires connect to the ignition coil. If it is a strait connector, then you can buy it at your local auto parts store off the shelf. If it has a angled connector to the distributor, then plan on looking online. Look for one that mentions being angled at the ignition coil/distributor end.

I have only put about 30 miles on it since yesterday, so I can't say for sure. But the car seams to be running better. My mileage has also gone up. I have been averaging around 22 MPG for the last while, but since I replaced the plugs and wires, so far I have been in the 28 mpg range which is normal for me.

·
Registered
04 Outback 2.5 PZEV
32 Posts
I have the same problem, I have an '04 Outback 2.5 it is a PZEV motor. I can't find plug wires. Both Autozone and Advance auto come up with the same # which has 2 long and 2 short wires, mine are 4 same length. My coil pack is in the center which makes the 2 short wires too short. I think my car is a late "04 cause I have had to get parts for '05 to fit (alternator for one thing). I was going to try '05 plug wires but no one has them in stock. The boots at the coil back are straight (not 90 degree) Looking on line most have a generic pic where so you can't tell if the wires look right. Can anyone tell me the number for a wire set that will fit?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
I have the same problem, I have an '04 Outback 2.5 it is a PZEV motor. I can't find plug wires. Both Autozone and Advance auto come up with the same # which has 2 long and 2 short wires, mine are 4 same length. My coil pack is in the center which makes the 2 short wires too short. I think my car is a late "04 cause I have had to get parts for '05 to fit (alternator for one thing). I was going to try '05 plug wires but no one has them in stock. The boots at the coil back are straight (not 90 degree) Looking on line most have a generic pic where so you can't tell if the wires look right. Can anyone tell me the number for a wire set that will fit?
Buy Subaru brand wires, and or a coil pack if you want, and NGK plugs,

This produces no problems, like Check Engine Lights / misfires.

It is not expensive, and can be cheaper then you think.

the alternative involves cursing, and being stuck along side the road.

Oh and No Alternators from Autozone or Advance either. (Rebuilt from subaru only).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts