Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cypress Green 2.5i Premium CVT w/AWP & Moonroof
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any recent posts on this so I'm hoping someone might have a solution. I've got my crossbars out right now so I can carry my kayak this summer, and of course when you pull the crossbars out to use them, it leaves a hole that was previously hidden when they they were tucked into the side rails. I know water will drain out of these holes, but I have trees in my driveway that will dump leaves and pine needles and acorns, etc. in these holes. Has anyone found a way to plug these holes and prevent crap from getting in them? Thanks!

·
Registered
2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Graphite ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl - Could be a Black Bumper Masonite car ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's m
323 Posts
Try the hardware store - Look for rubber chair leg caps. OR sink stoppers. If necessary they could be glued in with sealant.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I haven't seen any recent posts on this so I'm hoping someone might have a solution. I've got my crossbars out right now so I can carry my kayak this summer, and of course when you pull the crossbars out to use them, it leaves a hole that was previously hidden when they they were tucked into the side rails. I know water will drain out of these holes, but I have trees in my driveway that will dump leaves and pine needles and acorns, etc. in these holes. Has anyone found a way to plug these holes and prevent crap from getting in them? Thanks!
Painters tape? pick your favorite color and knock your self out

·
Registered
2012, 2.5i, with hitch and rear bumper step pad, cargo mat
10 Posts
I have been searching around my house for items that may work. So far a pool noodle cut and cheese grated down to 1/4 bigger than proper size works well. (doesn't look all that pretty but stops the buzz from happening). Other ideas that I had but haven't tried were a squash ball,pill jar with pop off lid wrapped in tape, wooden plug might do the job as well. I was also thinking is Subaru threaded the opening then you might be able to screw in a abs plug. Just ideas here. If you try them and they work, let us know. If you have any other ideas, then post them here as well.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
611 Posts
No they don't.....what they do use is called Bear Bond.....more like roofing membrane....very sticky and strong.... Duct tape:headslap: nice try:rolleyes:
Yup, use sheets of it when one of our club members kissed the wall with his GT3-Cup car. Out come the sheets and once it's on, it's on that's for sure!:gasp: And known as Bare-Bond panels

Deanski

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
No they don't.....what they do use is called Bear Bond.....more like roofing membrane....very sticky and strong.... Duct tape:headslap: nice try:rolleyes:
Yup, use sheets of it when one of our club members kissed the wall with his GT3-Cup car. Out come the sheets and once it's on, it's on that's for sure!:gasp: And known as Bare-Bond panels

Deanski
I should have used Bear Bond with my sarcasm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same issue here. Looking to get black rubber stoppers to plug them up. But in the short term, a cork from a balvenie whiskey bottle works quite well. Larger diameter cap part plugs the hole, while the cork section prevents it from falling down into the hole.

·
Registered
2012, 2.5i, with hitch and rear bumper step pad, cargo mat
10 Posts
Tried different sized drain plugs with no luck. Then found 2 black neoprene hacky sacs. Fits snuggly and is removable. I will keep them in the glove box when not in use. Great way to stretch the legs too on a long trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts