Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently threw a Thule Sonic XL onto my '13 and the first time I took it on the highway there was a god awful rattle (see my other posts for a video). Upon doing some research, turns out a couple pieces of painter's tape covering the front passenger side roof rack hole eliminates the problem.

Anyone with any manufacturing background that could produce a rubber plug to fit into these holes? Because they're not a regular shape, I couldn't find anything online that might fit.

I would gladly pay $$$ for a set of these, as I'm sure many on this forum would.

·
Registered
22,803 Posts
I recently threw a Thule Sonic XL onto my '13 and the first time I took it on the highway there was a god awful rattle (see my other posts for a video). Upon doing some research, turns out a couple pieces of painter's tape covering the front passenger side roof rack hole eliminates the problem.

Anyone with any manufacturing background that could produce a rubber plug to fit into these holes? Because they're not a regular shape, I couldn't find anything online that might fit.

I would gladly pay $$$ for a set of these, as I'm sure many on this forum would.
ACE Hardware sells a wide size range of rubber plugs. You can drill a hole through the middle and run a small bolt with large washers on both sides and snug the bolt up expanding the plug in the hole. Makes for a very strong nearly impossible plug to remove.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts

Sugru - google it.

It's a moldable silcone rubber that cures in less than 24 hours. It comes in several colors and works great for this kind of application. It'll seal the hold and be completely removable. It also works really well for strain relief on cables, as well as sealing a trailer wire exit.

Cheers

P.S. They're located in the UK so finding a US source will get you faster shipping. I generally use adafruit.com

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited SAP
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sugru - google it.
Brilliant stuff!

ACE Hardware sells a wide size range of rubber plugs. You can drill a hole through the middle and run a small bolt with large washers on both sides and snug the bolt up expanding the plug in the hole. Makes for a very strong nearly impossible plug to remove.
Also a great suggestion, thanks.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
Sugru - google it.

It's a moldable silcone rubber that cures in less than 24 hours. It comes in several colors and works great for this kind of application. It'll seal the hold and be completely removable. It also works really well for strain relief on cables, as well as sealing a trailer wire exit.

Cheers

P.S. They're located in the UK so finding a US source will get you faster shipping. I generally use adafruit.com

It's available now on amazon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2012, 2.5i, with hitch and rear bumper step pad, cargo mat
10 Posts
I have been searching around my house for items that may work. So far a pool noodle cut and cheese grated down to 1/4 bigger than proper size works well. (doesn't look all that pretty but stops the buzz from happening). Other ideas that I had but haven't tried were a squash ball,pill jar with pop off lid wrapped in tape, wooden plug might do the job as well. I was also thinking is Subaru threaded the opening then you might be able to screw in a abs plug. Just ideas here. If you try them and they work, let us know. If you have any other ideas, then post them here as well.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT, Satin White Pearl
37 Posts
Reviving an old post here with a solution I found and used.

Go pick up a pair of rubber expansion plugs and a couple of o-rings to put under the metal base of the plug. Total cost under $6 bucks. Works great!

Dorman Products - 02601

·
Registered
2017 Outback
1 Posts
Cheap and easy fix.
Go to Homedepot or similar.
Buy a pack of 1 1/8" (29mm) rubber leg tips.
Fit is nice and snug.
Cost is a whooping $3.39 tax in. (CDN)
Enjoy !
Pat.
Did this today for my 2017 Outback and they work perfectly. Only need two but they come in a pack of 4 for $4.50 CAD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts