Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finally on Saturday going to finish up replacing the timing belt, pullies, water and oil pump, etc - I think I've been running on borrowed time since from what I can tell, the last time the belt kit was replaced was about 90k miles ago. No idea on the plugs and wires, so I may as well do them at the same time.

Have the Aisin belt kit already, and now need to get coolant, thermostat, radiator cap, plugs, plug wires, and radiator hoses.

From what i have been reading, it sounds like I may as well bite the bullet ($$ wise) and get all that from the local dealer.

Or are certain items better to buy from Autozone or another autoparts store?

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon 18 Touring 3.6 white
416 Posts
Check out my post about 03 parts for sale and do some shopping there.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,390 Posts
thermostat, radiator cap, and radiator hoses.
dealer. those are all small and ship well if you want to order online.

coolant, plugs, plug wires
anywhere, make sure plugs are NGK OEM and wires are NGK as well which are readily available at any autoparts stores.

If you're already going to the dealer I'd just get the wires from them, but NGK are perfectly fine for any subaru application.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Plugs: NGK
Wires: NGK or Subaru
Hoses: I've personally had no problem with Gates/Dayco.
Tstat: Subaru or Stant's XACTstat model only.
Radiator cap: Subaru part is cheap on Amazon.

Coolant: recommend Pentosin A2 or Zerex Asian, those are the closest to OEM coolant available at most any Autozone type place.

·
Premium Member
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Pretty much what I thought I had read. One-stop-shopping at the dealer Saturday morning will be the easiest, even if it cost a few more $$.

·
Registered
00 Outback wagon 03 VDC wagon 18 Touring 3.6 white
416 Posts
I would double check with your dealer. Mine does not carry much in stock.

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will find out in the AM. They should at least have a thermostat and coolant, which is all I really need to complete the timing belt and water pump job.

Am i correct that most of you prefer the NGK Double Platinum plugs?

·
Premium Member
2,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next question in this line: How important is it to use their coolant system conditioner if you are using their coolant? I have no leaks, and from what I can tell, the head gaskets have already been replaced.

AND: Any concerns about the AC belt tensioner pulley at 161K miles?

Just noticed that the replacement oil pump did not come with a gasket, and that the Sub on-line parts diagram does not show one. Seal with silicone?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts