Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recommendations please!
The dude at the parts store recommended Bosch. What about you guys?

I just crossed 144,000 miles today! Original plugs and wires. Have trouble starting in damp conditions and the car seems to misfire frequently when I drive through [exceptionally] large puddles [for fun!].

I figure this is another DIY project for my father and myself. If we can pull of rear struts, I'm sure we can do the plugs and wires too! (Yes, yes, I know...do 1 wire/plug at a time!)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
As I say to everyone with this question----Subaru OEM....They are made for your vehicle, corect size, fitment and resistance per wire. And for plugs, NGK. Whether they be the copper, V-Groove, or regular like I use, you can't beat 'em.

Get Subaru OEM and be worry free. Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol! Thanks Brian.

When I bumped this thread I was actually thinking about editing my original topic to say "Plugs & Wires: bheinz57" because I KNEW you'd be the one to respond to it.

It's scary how well you can get to know someone you've never spoken to in person, just by reading hundreds of posts by them on a message board.

I've heard many good things about NGK plugs, I'll look into them.

Are dealers the only place I could buy OEM wires? Or, does anyone know what brand the OEM actually are so I can just buy those instead of going through the dealer?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
He he... Remember, if you order online you usually can forget the sales tax and normally get a better price than your local dealer. Scroll thru and find what you need or call 'em if you have any Q's. I have ordered much stuff from them. Brian

Subie parts

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
19' Impreza Sport 5 dr / 01' Forester S / 13' OB CVT / 10' Legacy 3.6R / 99 Mita MX-5
1,213 Posts
I agree get a set of OEM wires, they are actually pretty good and you know they will fit properly :)

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Friday I placed an order for:

"Sparkplug Wires- 2.5L SOHC
Genuine Subaru plug wires will allow your engine to get the critical spark it needs to run efficiently. Set of four."
from that parts link.

But um, I just thought...isn't my engine a DOHC? '97 Outback...maybe I'm wrong, I'm not real smart when it comes to that techie stuff! I guess if I was wrong, I could just return them and hope they will understand and not rape me for too much restocking $$$.

Or, better yet, it won't matter and I can use a SOHC wire on a DOHC engine. I can't think of any real difference in the spark/delivery process between those two engine types, so I hope I will be OK.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Peaty said:
I agree get a set of OEM wires, they are actually pretty good and you know they will fit properly :)
There should be a sticker under the hood stating if it is a DOHC or not....

Also, if you give your VIN# to the parts people, they can tell ya exactly what you have.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to cars101.com

"Engine: 2.5 liter DOHC fuel injected 4 cylinder 16 Valve boxer engine , 165 horsepower, 162 Ft lbs torque."

So...anyone see any problems with using these SOHC wires on my car?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I think the ignition part is the same on both vehicles, can you do any cross referencing with part #s to actually find out? Brian

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well...I received the wires in the mail today...and as the late, great, Chris Farley would say: AW HORSESHI.T!

Based on a purely visual inspection of these wires, I highly doubt they are going to work for my Outback!

I'll have to pull one of mine off and compare them side by side, but things aren't looking good at this point.

For refererence, I received Part No. SOA430Q119 - Ignition Wire Set.

I'll probably just send them back, eat the shipping/restocking fee, and then buy some Bosch or NGK wires locally at Advance Auto Parts...guess I should've just done that in the first place, or read more carefully before I ordered these from that website. I'll call the place tomorrow before I send them back to see if they are going to be nice to me!

·
Registered
73 Posts
FMGreen said:
Well...I received the wires in the mail today...and as the late, great, Chris Farley would say: AW HORSESHI.T!

Based on a purely visual inspection of these wires, I highly doubt they are going to work for my Outback!

I'll have to pull one of mine off and compare them side by side, but things aren't looking good at this point.

For refererence, I received Part No. SOA430Q119 - Ignition Wire Set.

I'll probably just send them back, eat the shipping/restocking fee, and then buy some Bosch or NGK wires locally at Advance Auto Parts...guess I should've just done that in the first place, or read more carefully before I ordered these from that website. I'll call the place tomorrow before I send them back to see if they are going to be nice to me!
When I worked at Auto Zone, the Bosch ones are good wires. Get the Life Time Warranty ones. :)

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"Hi Stephen. Please return them to us via us postal. We will issue credit
upon receipt. No restock fee. Regards, mike"

Awesome! Probably $5 to ship it back. I'm lucky to get out of this mistake for that little bit extra cash.

I've read that the NGK's are direct replacement's for OEM wires, and I plan on using NGK plugs as well, so I'll probably go with them for those reasons.

·
Registered
2003 Outback
9 Posts
"I've read that the NGK's are direct replacement's for OEM wires, and I plan on using NGK plugs as well, so I'll probably go with them for those reasons."

Good call!

I've never had a wire set I liked any better for fir, quality, performance and price than the blue NGK

1 - 16 of 16 Posts