Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think this is probably a no, but can't hurt to ask. Can a 8X4 sheet of plywood fit in the back of a 2011 Outback?

·
Registered
42 Posts
You could probably tie it down to the roof rack. Just make sure you tie it down good, especially if you're going on the freeway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've done it before, but on an SUV with Yakima bars that were spaced apart. Outback's racks aren't that spread apart, so like 4wheeldog said, you may want to tie down the front, maybe to the front tow hook. (is there one?)

·
Registered
166 Posts
A 4 x 8 sheet of plywood will (just) lay flat in the middle of a bed of a regular 8-foot bed pickup, between the wheel wells. My pickup only has a 6 foot bed, so the plywood only fits if I lower the tailgate. A little visualization puts the Outback in a different category. Some arrangement involving the roof rack may be possible, if it's done securely.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Sometimes I miss my '83' two door hatchback Subi. It would swallow a 4x8 sheet with the backseat down and the hatch tied closed. The sheet would stick out but it could travel cross town without problems.

On second thought keep the '83' in the junk yard.

·
Registered
521 Posts
This site has a bunch of dimensions for the cargo area, hand-measured:

2010 Subaru Outback Research Page

In addition to the width of the floor between wheel wells being only 43", the width of the gate opening is also too narrow, at least without tilting the plywood sheet. It MIGHT work to have the sheets on an angle, propped up on one side, but you'd still have a couple of feet hanging out the open hatch.

On the plus side, it IS possible to move a few pieces of 8' tall lumber (like 2x4's or 2x6's), by laying the board ends on top of the center console arm rest.

Probably the largest single item I've had entirely inside of my OB is a Weber Genesis grill, unassembled and in its original packing box.

Actually, I don't think I could fit a 4' x 8' piece of plywood entirely inside my old Ford Expedition. The width was OK for the sheet to lay flat, but I think the length of the cargo area was only around 7' or so, so the hatch still had to be kept open. On the other hand, my even older Plymouth Voyager minivan would take the full plywood sheet, flat on the floor, with the gate closed. A real man's vehicle, no doubt.... :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
18 Participants
Bobaru
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing