43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 codes popping up after a couple rough starts
PO335
301 and 306 misfire
Plugs are all new
Engine seems to run fine after a warm up
2001 h6 270k

so I got a replacement crankshaft sensor online but I went to replace and it does not match the old sensor. The oe has 3 wires and the new one I got has 2 and does not seem to be the right fit anyways, plug is oriented wrong way.

the sensor I tried to pull is on passenger side near plug 5

ive read this may just be an electrical issue and I just need to tighten battery cables... hope that’s it but wanted to check with community. Any thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
2001 Outback VDC 3.0 253k AT
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you!
Finally able to find it, if it’s any help to other noobs. It’s right under the air box that connects to throttle body. I couldn’t find it for a few minutes until I pryed the dry rot rubber cover off to expose sensor. After that just took a bit of finagling to remove.

now though... does anyone have a source for replacing The dry rot cover with a replacement? Junkyard? Or can you get these new?

thanks!

·
Registered
18,022 Posts
does anyone have a source for replacing The dry rot cover with a replacement? Junkyard? Or can you get these new?
I believe it's this part; looks to still be available. Haven't checked, but could be the same for all the 3.0 engines, so a more recent one (i.e., year) from a recycler might still be in useable condition.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Ordered part and looks like the right fit.

unfortunately after replacing the crankshaft sensor I still am getting the same codes:

all plugs and coils are new, seems to only be misfiring on cold starts, starter is new... thoughts?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also I should mention this whole issue began with a few cat codes. I first used cataclean twice between a couple fill ups, then changed the 2 upstream sensors near engine block and the one downstream. Those codes have gone but now this issue popped up soon after. Possibly related?
and finally my gf has been borrowing the car and putting only regular gas in. I use premium every 3rd fill up usually but have read you should use it all the time?
Would this make a difference with misfires?

thanks!

·
Registered
18,022 Posts
I use premium every 3rd fill up usually but have read you should use it all the time?
Yes, it's required according to the Owners Manual:

"3.0 Liter models:
Use premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of
91 AKI or higher. Regular unleaded gasoline with an octane
rating of 87 AKI may be used if necessary. For optimum
engine performance and driveability, it is recommended
that you use premium grade unleaded gasoline."

I don't know if that could lead to the misfires and, especially, the continuing crankshaft sensor code. @cardoc
After the crankshaft position sensor was replaced, were the codes cleared, but then reappeared?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just cleared the codes by pulling battery cable for 15 min but they came back up when a cold start caused an obvious misfire.
moat recent code is a 301 I think on 1 plug.
It’s clear again but I expect on next cold start it will shudder and chk eng light will give me some flash

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
301 Code keeps popping up, guess I’ll check the coil pack connectors next? Engine running and starting fine still

·
Registered
2002 H6 Bean 240000
19 Posts
If it is a 301 misfire only at startup I would check the fuel injector for cylinder 1. Replace it or switch it with another. It could be leaking fuel into the cylinder causing the misfire and explaining while it runs fine after.

If you are getting 301 and 306 you are having the front passengers and the rear drivers misfiring which are the first two cylinders to fire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts