Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 outback wagon and wanted to know what members are using to polish the wheels?

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
I will be doing my wheels tonight (after claying and polishing my car) with Meguiars polish then wax.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
Long term Subaru Owner - Current Daily Drive: 2007 Lexus RX350, and E46 BMW 328i
1,142 Posts
chrisx said:
I will be doing my wheels tonight (after claying and polishing my car) with Meguiars polish then wax.
ChrisX,

Tell me more about the clay thing - how do you do it etc... I had never heard of clay at all until it was mentioned a couple of times on other threads - what brand of clay do you use? - I have never seen it in the stores here - I normally go to Super Cheap Autos for my polish requirements etc.

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
ottiehund said:

ChrisX,

Tell me more about the clay thing - how do you do it etc... I had never heard of clay at all until it was mentioned a couple of times on other threads - what brand of clay do you use? - I have never seen it in the stores here - I normally go to Super Cheap Autos for my polish requirements etc.
I use Meguiars and picked it up from a local Super Cheap Autos. There are two ways to use the clay. 1st is with the detailing spray it comes with and the second and cheaper alternative is to use soap and water (what you use to wash the car). Basically it's a matter of keeping the area you are going to clay lubricated (no jokes here). I have only done it once myself but after a few minutes you get the hang of it. I did it with the detailing spray (comes with the clay kit) and then later found out about using soap and water. You just need to wipe it over the area a few times and then check by running your fingers over the same area and it should feel as smooth as glass. Here is the link to the product I use Meguiars Clay Kit

Below is a more detailed briefing with pictures. Also this website is full of information about car care. I joined up not long ago and it boggles my mind all the information that is there.

Autopia - Using a Clay Bar

·
Registered
98 outback 5spd MT, the mighty Huc
509 Posts
i just use wax and only to make them easier to clean next time.

i view agressively cleaning your wheels is a gesture of futility because as soon as you go somwhere it gets shot to **** before you get anywhere, they dirty so fast.

I never bother to shine my tires unless im taking pictures. that gets screwed over even faster than your clean rims.

·
Registered
2000 Limited
5 Posts
coating on wheels?

I recently bought a '00 OB from a dealership. It looks like there's some kind of coating on them. It almost looks like they sprayed something on it & it ran. I tried scrubbing but I don't want to scratch them & it doesn't come off. Any idea what it might be & the best way to get rid of it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: coating on wheels?

IdahoMtns said:
I recently bought a '00 OB from a dealership. It looks like there's some kind of coating on them. It almost looks like they sprayed something on it & it ran. I tried scrubbing but I don't want to scratch them & it doesn't come off. Any idea what it might be & the best way to get rid of it?

Thanks!
Does it look like a stain of sorts? And no amount of rubbing or soap will take it off? If so, sounds like someone sprayed some brake dust remover on the wheels when they were hot and let it dry. I had a friends car (2000 Infinity I30) with something similar and I tried everything to get it out, but it looks like the stain was etched in from the chemicals in the product. (Do people not read the "rinse immediately" part of the instructions?)

If you don't want to take this to a professional, then I would first try some very very mild abrasive products (like Meguiars polishes) and slowly work your way up to something more abrasive that doesn't scratch the powder coating on the wheels. Alternatively you can try some metal polish like this. I use a similarly formulated product on my horns (I'm also a trumpet player) so I know it won't etch wheels if it doesn't scratch my silver. I haven't tried it myself, but it might work.

--

On the claying wheels subject, I use my older clay bars (that are turning a little too dirty to use on paint, say after 4-5 uses) on my wheels and lower fendor areas. Then I do a quick coat of Klasse All-in-One on them every other wash or so.

·
Registered
MY17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
288 Posts
Like SalemSubie has said, if not willing to go to a professional, work your way up in abrasive levels and only on a small section. Once you find the product that can remove the stain (if there is one) and not damage the wheel, then you can do the rest of the wheels. I don't know if the metal polish mentioned is clear coat safe (assuming the wheels have a clear coat on them).

·
Registered
2000 Limited
5 Posts
chrisx said:
Like SalemSubie has said, if not willing to go to a professional, work your way up in abrasive levels and only on a small section. Once you find the product that can remove the stain (if there is one) and not damage the wheel, then you can do the rest of the wheels. I don't know if the metal polish mentioned is clear coat safe (assuming the wheels have a clear coat on them).
Thanks for the reply!

It sort of looks like a stain only it's lighter - almost like milk. I'm wondering if you're right about the etching business. I'll try working my way up the abrasive line like you said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts