Votes: 47 43.9%
  • Yes not resolved - Limited without Nav/Touring

Votes: 5 4.7%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Combining the complaints into a poll...if you have a 2018 Outback, please respond to the poll.

2018 only please.

If your problem has been resolved, please post how it was.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
While I had to honestly answer with Yes not resolved - Touring, I have to qualify it with that I've only had the lockup a couple of times, and so far none since the firmware was updated about 4 weeks ago. I still have #3 preset that sometimes just stays on Initializing, rather than loaded the preset. The lockups I did suffer went away after it was parked and restarted, one time in the short time spent fueling up. I also have an issue with the auto-brightness starting the display on dim, then switching to full brightness, even though the car was parked in bright sunlight.

I have never encountered any issue with Car Play or AA. I've also used Pandora over Bluetooth without issue. (knock on wood...)

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring - Crystal White
5 Posts
I have a 2018 Outback Touring (purchased 11/17) currently with 8000 miles. Had problems intermittently with losing 3 button settings (going into "Initializing phase"). Had 1 "freeze up" several months ago. Dealer had updated software to latest version (2.17.43.30) a few months ago without any improvement. Last month the dealership replaced the radio/head unit. Have had no problems at all since then. ("
keeping my fingers crossed")!

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
177 Posts
I picked up mine only a week ago. I have yet to plug my samsung into the car and have used only bluetooth to connect with Android Auto. So far, I've had no problems doing it that way.

I should have not posted. Turned the car on after work (100 degree heat) to find SXM loading and that status never changed on the way home.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
315 Posts
^^ Didn't think Android Auto works wirelessly (bluetooth or otherwise), except for limited betas using only Google phones?

·
Registered
45 Posts
All of my issues seem to be resolved since the headhunt was replaced. The issues I was having was soft keys initializing, System lock-ups, GPS routing you could not cancel, Android auto would never connect and the GPS would never go into night mode. It took some nasty emails to Subaru and a Twitter fit to make thing happen. For the most part I am happy now.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
346 Posts
I have a 2018 Touring 3.6R. I answered no issues because I have had no problems in the last nine months. I did have four brief lockups when I first got the car, but none since. No action taken to make them go away. They just did, and all smooth ever since. So, essentially no problem at all now.

·
Registered
215 Posts
HU replaced and its much better.
The only caveat is I only plug my generic mp3 player and I dare not plug in my phone. Maybe one day after some more updates.
Only Bluetooth
Waze is the only thing I'm missing out on

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Limited w/EyeSight
207 Posts
So the consensus appears to be that the way to fix the issue is to throw enough of a fit to get Subaru to replace the head unit? Good to know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
So the consensus appears to be that the way to fix the issue is to throw enough of a fit to get Subaru to replace the head unit? Good to know.
I would tend to agree with that statement I originally thought the issues were coding issues in the software but I now think it i all hardware otherwise the issues would continue.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5 No eyesight package/no navi
177 Posts
If it's only hardware and not software then Bob's your uncle.
I thinks its both
After the HU is replaced some are still having issues.

Agreed. And plenty of posts on other threads about how buggy the software is confirmed by folks that program for a living.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 3.6R Limited Head Unit - Failed the Fixed

So - my head unit went out for about 5 days... then came back to life for a couple of times during short rides. I took it to the dealer who ordered a replacement (30 day wait). However, when I returned to my car, the head unit woke up and was working. So we quickly brought it back into the shop, performed the firmware update - and now, it's working again. So far, so good.

·
Registered
2018 Touring 3.6R
903 Posts
Ours was mostly trouble-free for 8 months / 15k miles and then just died and did not come back. Dealer replaced head unit and this one has been working fine for a week. The "new" head unit has firmware 18.22.20 which is NOT the most recent.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First issue was freezing white screen. Seemed fro be resolved with a factory reset.
2nd and current issue is screen not turning on when car switches on - just black screen. Then boots by itself randomly any time from 1 - 5 mins later. Trying to get this resolved....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bought our 18 9/30/17. Just over 20k miles. Had been having some issues with the head unit over the past month but seemed to go out completely on Saturday. No navigation, no audio, and no reverse camera.

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2018 IS-ES 2.5i CVT
3 Posts
Mine was replaced about two weeks ago. And so far (holding thumbs, knock on wood, etc.) all still working OK.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
498 Posts
I read somewhere here that it was the satellite radio module that was making factory head units act up. That's why replacement seems to be the only real help.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts