Subaru Outback Forums banner

Does your Outback have a slight steering wheel shake at highway speeds

• Yes: My 2010+ Outback has a slight steering wheel shake at highway speeds

Votes: 146 36.9%
  • No: My 2010+ Outback does not have a slight steering wheel shake at highway speeds

Votes: 250 63.1%

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Nav, Cypress Green
28 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 2011, August 2010, 2.5i Premium
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? YES
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? They did a road force balance three days ago. Drove it. It's no longer a slight shake. It's a good sized shake now. Took it back, clenching my teeth, (someone said to be cordial, but that's hard). Service manager said it needs another road force balance. Scheduled middle of next week. Is this car so sensitive that the balance has to be exact? What happens when I go off-roading and get some mud on the tires? Sorry. Just getting frustrated.
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Charleston, WV, 2000 miles

·
Registered
2011 Subaru Outback 3.6R Crystal Black
313 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 2011 2.5i Limited (will get build date)

2) If a problem is evident, yes or no?
yes

3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it?
Slight steering wheel shimmy at 70-75mph. Engineer doing current TSB Monday 11/08/10, will post after results

4) Location and current mileage of vehicle?
East of Pittsburgh, PA about 20 miles , 1200 miles on Odo.

·
Registered
'18 Accord EX-L 2.0t; Wife's car: '16 3.6r Ltd. w/ Eyesight
855 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 2011 3.6R Ltd. (Aug or Sep 2011)

2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? Yes

3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? Dealer tested it and said no work would be done on the vehicle so I refused delivery and got my deposit back.

4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? The dealer is in Hicksville, NY. There were 8 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
2007 Lexus IS 250 AWD, 2010 Honda Civic, New: 2016 Outback 3.6R
97 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model?
2011, Sept. 18, 2010, 3.6R Limited

yes

3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? -
Service mgr test drove car before I took delivery and noticed there was excessive road feel - did a RFB - no problems at any speed up to 75

Central NJ, 225 miles

·
Registered
2011 Toyota Highlander Limited that replaced an '11 Green OB Limited
211 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? - 2011 2.5i Limited - 08/10 Build Date
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? - No
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? - N/A
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? - Michigan, 1100 Miles

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
16 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model - 2011 Outback 2.5i premium CVT build date Aug 2010 If a problem is evident, yes or no ? YES
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it ?
Have scheduled appointment with dealer who claims that they are unaware of problem. I had to tell them about service bulletin and they replied they didn't have a recall for that vehicle. I had to again tell them that it wasn't a recall, it was a tech bulletin. They just indicate total ignorance of the problem. All I can say is WOW.
I drove a test outback with no problems so didn't test drive the car I ended up buying
(my bad). I did some research but never came across this problem. I guess I relied on past positive feedback. This model is still rated #1 in the latest Consumer Reports which still gives me some confidence. I drove my car home from the dealer Friday and noticed the problem. I took into my local tire dealer Saturday and had front tires rebalanced. It did not correct the problem. I took back to my local tire dealer and had rear tires rebalanced and had them rotated to the front. That seemed to eliminate almost all the steering wheel shake. I will have rear tires checked by dealer Thursday and have them rotated back to front to check success.
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle - Baytown, Texas, 200 miles

Noticed many Aug 2010 build dates. WONDERING............

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ Nav - Azurite Blue
152 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model?
2011, 10/2010, 3.6 Limited with nav

No

3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it?
N/A

San Jose, CA. 110 miles

I wanted to contribute a positive result to this poll as it is definitely biased toward having the problem the way it's worded and based on human nature. I will update as needed, but hopefully things will stay this way. Crossing fingers.

I also noticed that the steering wheel might be slightly bigger than one I test drove a couple weeks before buying mine. I remember because I thought the wheel was small compared to my previous car and now I can't really tell the difference. Maybe they are starting to change/apply the TSB stuff at the factory. Who knows.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Again, should the name of this poll be changed to 2010/2011....... I can see where some 2011 folks, probably myself included posted here.
I am not able to make the change myself.
I will request that the mods make the change.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited w/Nav
9 Posts
I did have the Shake but took it into my dealer (Grand Subaru) and they were able to fix the issue. :D

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
16 Posts
Hey guys, for some of you nit pickers, the post says 2010+. I read that as including any Outbacks, i.e. 2011, etc, etc. :confused:

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Hey guys, for some of you nit pickers, the post says 2010+. I read that as including any Outbacks, i.e. 2011, etc, etc. :confused:
I don't recall seeing the '+' sign before.
As the thread creator, I asked the mods to make that change in the title as there were periodic complaints about its wording.

Seeing that the shakes impact both 2010 and 2011 Outbacks and it is unknown if they will fix the problem before the 2012 models come out, I chose to use the 2010 + terminology.

·
Premium Member
2018 328d Wagon / 2018 3.6R Touring
706 Posts
As the thread creator, I asked the mods to make that change in the title as there were periodic complaints about its wording.

Seeing that the shakes impact both 2010 and 2011 Outbacks and it is unknown if they will fix the problem before the 2012 models come out, I chose to use the 2010 + terminology.
Thanks, at least I'm not losing all of my mind....

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium Cypress Green Pearl
1 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 2011 - Build Date 08/10 - Outback 2.5i Limited
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? Yes
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? Road Force Wheel Balance- all 4 Continental tires - one was over the minimum of 12 and was replaced - somewhat better but not fixed.
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Charlotte, NC/ 950 miles

·
Registered
1 Posts
No shake

1) Year, Build date & model?: 2011; SEPT.2010 build date; OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? NO
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? N/A
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? TAOS, NEW MEXICO; 3200 mi

·
Registered
21 Posts
2011 3.6R Limited VIBRATION!

Just took delivery of my 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited. Bad news - the car def has a vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds. The car was just recently built in Nov so buyers beware - Subaru is still sending shakers out to be sold! I will place updates on here as to how this unfolds.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium AWP, CVT, Pearl White, Rear Bumper Cover, Mud Guards, XM Radio, Build Date 10/10
124 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 2011 - Build Date 10/10 - Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? NO
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? N/A
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Charlotte, NC/ 800 miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
shake above 70mph

Just bought a premium on Friday, the car did not shake during test drive that I did not go above 65mph. Today on highway, the shaking is noticeable when the speed is over 70. I think I am going to live with it since I love Subaru too much.

181 - 200 of 216 Posts