Subaru Outback Forums banner

Does your Outback have a slight steering wheel shake at highway speeds

• Yes: My 2010+ Outback has a slight steering wheel shake at highway speeds

Votes: 146 36.9%
  • No: My 2010+ Outback does not have a slight steering wheel shake at highway speeds

Votes: 250 63.1%

• Total voters
201 - 216 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R, Ruby Red Pearl, Canadian model
14 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 11/10
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? Yes
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? Alligned and balanced tires. The shake actually got worst.
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Laval, Quebec, Canada / 1000 Km

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited w/Moonroof
87 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 10/10, 3.6R Limited
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? NO
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? N/A
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Northern Virginia, 1300 miles

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 CVT
111 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 10/10, 2.5 CVT
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? NO
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? N/A
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Quebec City, Canada. 3222km (2000 miles)

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/AWP 6MT
409 Posts
Late to the party but...

1) Year, Build date & model? 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premier 6MT built 11/09
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? No
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Long Island, NY / 107,260 miles

(not known if the vehicle ever had the issue, 2nd owner at a little over 105,000)

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 2013, 12/12, 2.5 CVT Limited
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? None. Never.
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it?
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Northern Utah, 4500 mi.

[/i]
Can't relate to this concern. Never have experienced it.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i Limited w/MoonRoof - Harvest Gold
196 Posts
I traded my Outback in on a 2012 Forester Touring on Dec 28th, 2011. It had just under 20,000 miles and it never developed the shake. Just as I had predicted.

My Outback does not have the shake problem or rattles or any other types of problems at this point in time.

1) 2010 2.5i Limited Build date 09/09
2) Problem is evident, yes or no? No
3) It has been to the dealer: No, but I did take it to the Temple to have it blessed.
4) I currently have 3,097 miles on it. I'm located in Ohio, USA

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,448 Posts
Can't relate to this concern. Never have experienced it.
...be glad about that...for those of us who did have it, it was more than a royal PIA!!

Late to the party but...

1) Year, Build date & model? 2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premier 6MT built 11/09
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? No
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Long Island, NY / 107,260 miles

(not known if the vehicle ever had the issue, 2nd owner at a little over 105,000)
It was a problem in the SOME of the early builds from August '09 to production late into '10. They released several TSB'S for fixing it. They eventually fixed it in production by around Jan '11. It was a small number of cars compared to total production numbers but no less a real pain to try and deal with...I speak as one of the more experienced ones who had this issue with my FIRST gen 4 OB.

·
Registered
2010 outback. base 2.5
1,970 Posts
6-09 Build- No shake. I think the shake started later in the 10 build, like November of 09

·
Registered
2010 WSP OB w/CVT 1985 Saab SPG 220K
15 Posts
Sorry, late to the party as well, but this car has had a miserable ride since inception. I initially thought that it was the OEM Conti's until in had Defenders put on and then had them re balanced with no change.

1) Year, Build date & model? 2010 2.5 Premium CVT
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? Always
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? Dumped OEM tires, replaced with Mich Defender XT's had re rebalanced miserable ride
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? East Tennessee 55k

Filed a report with NHTSA under steering shimmy. Wrote SoA and asked where they would like me to take it. Called a dealership and they said that they would dynamic balance it for $79 dollars.

This car also will not back up an incline.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i CVT
23 Posts
2011 Outback 2.5i CVT basic model.
84k miles.

Just got the car a couple weeks ago. Had no shake when I got it. One day the tire pressure light went off. I checked all the tires and they all had 25.5 lbs. Sidewall of tire says 44 lbs max, so I put 40 lbs in all of them. Then, whoa, I now have a shake over 60 mph. Fairly bad. Lived with it for a couple days and randomly was looking at the owner's manual. Says recomended 32 lbs. I reduce the air to 32, not a single shake anymore. So maybe this will help someone. Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
2011 Outback 2.5i CVT basic model.
84k miles.

Just got the car a couple weeks ago. Had no shake when I got it. One day the tire pressure light went off.

The tire pressure light went off?
Are you trying to tell us that the light was constantly "on" previously?
Or, are you one of those people who says that something goes "off" when you actually mean that it went "on"?
:confused:

I checked all the tires and they all had 25.5 lbs. Sidewall of tire says 44 lbs max, so I put 40 lbs in all of them. :gasp: :28:
Tires should be inflated to the pressures listed on the label on the driver's door jamb and in the Owner's Manual. The pressure listed on the sidewall of the tire is the MAXIMUM safe pressure for that tire, and there is a very big difference between the concepts of maximum and ideal or recommended.

Personally, I have found the "sweet spot" to be ~3 lbs over Subaru's recommended tire pressure, i.e.--35 front/33 rear, but if you want a softer ride (plus handling and gas mileage that is not as good), then the specified 32 front/30 rear is acceptable.

:29:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i CVT
23 Posts
Yes I should have been more accurate and said the tire light went on. It then went away when I put more air in.

And yes I made a slight noob mistake on a car I have never owned before and put in too much air. The owners manual says "32" on both. Tomorrow I will check the doorframe sticker. I understand the concepts of maximum safe air pressure vs recommended, but in all the Fords and Chevy's I have owned I found excellent (relatively speaking) performance and mpg at the higher ends of the tire ratings. So with the AWD system should have been more careful.

I thought it was interesting that on my car I seemed to find a relationship between over inflation and the exact symptoms of the steering wheel shake described here. I am very happy at 32 psi and zero shake.

·
Registered
'10 3.6R Limited w/rear sway bar upgrade and StopTech slotted rotors and EBC pads on all corners
15 Posts
Bump.......

Hey guys, I remember seeing somewhere on here a discussion of VIN numbers that correlated to a production date where this issue was more common. Does anyone have any info as to what to look for on the VIN, or is the problem pretty widespread through the 2010-11 production run. I see the numbers are about 35% of vehicles have the problem. I'm buying a 2010 3.6R and the owner said he's never noticed any issues, but I want to cross-check the VIN number to cover my bases. I test drove the car and had it in a shop and while the brakes need repair, and the right front wheel bearing needs replacing the car otherwise seems fine. I noticed some wheel shake at highway speeds, but that I think is more due to the brake rotors being a bit warped.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I own two 2010's The legacy and the OB both had some cases of shake though it was a small percentage of cars that had issues beyond tire related problems. No one knows the % except subaru and that would only be the confirmed vehicles that had an issue other than tires. The stock Conti tires were lousy at holding balance on the OB. I had one tire going out of round so no amount of balancing would help. Finally gave up and got a different brand tire with much better reviews and much better build quality they have held balance very well and have not had any issues. No shakes.

The Legacy runs Bridgestones which have been good and its much easier on the tires also so we get better wear life no shakes with the legacy either.

The vibration cars tended to do it between 60-70mph once you settled in at the speed and were no longer accelerating. I did drive one which was a confirmed shaker and after having tire issues I can say that its slightly different than a tire shake but unless you have enough time in the car it would be hard to notice the difference. The 2015's got a whole new front end structure primarily to stiffen up the flexi wagon that the 2010-14's are. That could have also addressed the shake issue if the front structure being too flexible was partly the reason for the shake issue. Though it seems there were not that many cars that had the issue once the crummy tires were delt with.

If the car sits for long periods of time its very possible you had flat spotting also. My Subaru will some times sit for a week and it will have a steering wheel shake for the first few miles after sitting. But that goes away. Tire pressure is very important also given that can also cause some strange ride quality and feedback.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 Outback LTD
11 Posts
Still Vibrating After All These Years

Hi Guys

I have a 2010 2.5 Outback LTD that had slight vibration when I first got it.

I have slightly less then 50K miles now.

The vibration Got Worse over the years.

Now I'm getting concerned that this persistent vibration at highway speeds might cause metal fatigue.

Metal fatigue could be a serious thing. Like in a de Havilland Comet or Lockheed L-1011 or in the Boeing 737 that had an engine fall off caused by metal fatigue in one of the three bolts that held the engine in place.

It's a very annoying vibration in the 60-75mph range. To the point where I'm going to sell the car because of it. But I'm really at a loss as to what to replace it with. I though maybe a Venza would be similar but they stopped making them.

Sorry to see that across all model years the vibration problem is still around. I would have thought they would have solved it by now. So much for the VIN number theory and for that matter all the other theories, because if Subaru was able to figure it out it would be gone.

And of course, when I brought it in for service it was returned with the cold engine whine problem, you know, that really annoying whistling sound when you first start it up on a really cold day.

The only thing I don't seem to have is the wind noise problem, maybe because my year didn't have folding mirrors.

And yeah, the 2.5 exhaust is really loud when it accelerates and idling in the driveway with the air on, it's the loudest engine I ever heard, but not from inside the car. Gets good mileage though. Over 30 highway with cruise on, 27.6 average over thousands of miles.

I would also like to mention that without using cruise control, the 2.5 is so under-powered it's very easy to loose momentum between 60 and 80 and have the transmission automatically downshift to maintain speed. With cruise on and controlling the speed with the cruise switch instead of the gas pedal, that almost never happens. Never the less I agree with the majority that think the 2.5 is the right engine to get.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Rooster

201 - 216 of 216 Posts