Subaru Outback Forums banner

Does your Outback have a slight steering wheel shake at highway speeds

• Yes: My 2010+ Outback has a slight steering wheel shake at highway speeds

Votes: 146 36.9%
  • No: My 2010+ Outback does not have a slight steering wheel shake at highway speeds

Votes: 250 63.1%

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 216 Posts

·
Banned
1997 Subaru Legacy Outback
219 Posts
I certainly wasn't implying that all July-built Outbacks were shakers. But we've seen July-built Outbacks that were shakers. I'm pretty sure SoobyDo's Outback was a July build. Too lazy to double-check.
But I still haven't seen any August + builds with the shakes (besides TRauppius that has retracted from his/her initial impression).

I know, I know, I'm hoping behond hope. But I need the new car SOON, and I can't seem to find a suitable alternative. I test-drove the Venza yesterday, and simply didn't like it :(.
The Venza is a piece of crap.

Check out the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is in a league of its own.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Given it's reliability history and previous owner satisfaction, I'd roll the dice and chance a shaker any day........
Car Model Review - Consumer Reports
It has no reliability history. The 2011 is a complete re-build from the ground up and as such is not to be compared to the previous problematic vehicles. You know, the way Subaru used to be but in reverse.

The new JGC is a premium vehicle in every way compared to the shaky Subaru. Early reviews are strongly positive.

But if you would rather roll the dice on the Outback, be my guest.

·
Registered
313 Posts
It has no reliability history. The 2011 is a complete re-build from the ground up and as such is not to be compared to the previous problematic vehicles. You know, the way Subaru used to be but in reverse.

The new JGC is a premium vehicle in every way compared to the shaky Subaru. Early reviews are strongly positive.

But if you would rather roll the dice on the Outback, be my guest.
Already did! :) Wouldn't ever want to take a chance with a car company that has had a such a recent and prolonged history of electrical problems, especially Chrysler.......but hey, let's give 'em a shot with their complete makeover and see what owners say about them a year or so from now.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Already did! :) Wouldn't ever want to take a chance with a car company that has had a such a recent and prolonged history of electrical problems, especially Chrysler.......but hey, let's give 'em a shot with their complete makeover and see what owners say about them a year or so from now.
Any predictions?
I read some place just last week that the new Jeep already has an issue and they are in the process of correcting it. Unless Jeep has magically changed all its parts suppliers they are still sourcing parts used in the new jeep that have been used in various other jeep products in the past.

My prediction - lipstick on a pig - if you want a jeep get a MT bare bones stripped out jeep then replace any of the stuff that stops working with aftermarket parts - then you'll have a good jeep LOL

·
Registered
'08 Veracruz Limited
3,992 Posts
Any manufacturer out there today can make a good car (even Chrysler) or a very bad car (even Subaru, Toyota and Honda).

Let's face it, the new OB's aren't really living up to Subaru's stellar reputation for quality and reliability. Of course, after doing more research on Subaru since I bought mine, I'm surprised that they ever got that reputation given the well known issues they've had.

I'd buy another Subaru if the car fit my needs, but I'm really not feeling any particular fondness for them at this point in the ride.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
The 2011 is a complete re-build from the ground up and as such is not to be compared to the previous problematic vehicles.
Early reviews are strongly positive.
Because clean-sheet redesigns never have any unexpected problems? ;)

Because early reviews are always a good predictor of problems that surface after a few months of real-world useage? ;)

Because Chrysler has historically had such a good reliability record for its vehicles? ;)

Because their new master, Fiat, has historically had such a good reliability record for its vehicles? ;)

Who are you trying to convince--us or yourself?
I will stay with my shake-free, rattle-free, smooth-riding, historically reliable, economical Outback.
I thank you for your suggestion, but...

:)

·
Registered
2010 Outback Azurite Blue 3.6R Limited and 2001 Outback wagon 2.5
876 Posts
I remember when everyone was gushing and wetting their pants over the new ML series Mercedes...turned out to be one of the worst vehicles they ever put out. A new design does not mean anything until its proven.

·
Banned
219 Posts
Because clean-sheet redesigns never have any unexpected problems? ;)

Because early reviews are always a good predictor of problems that surface after a few months of real-world useage? ;)

Because Chrysler has historically had such a good reliability record for its vehicles? ;)

Because their new master, Fiat, has historically had such a good reliability record for its vehicles? ;)

Who are you trying to convince--us or yourself?
I will stay with my shake-free, rattle-free, smooth-riding, historically reliable, economical Outback.
I thank you for your suggestion, but...

:)
Not saying I am trying to convince anybody, you or me, of anything. Hopefully your shake- and rattle-free (so far . . . ) Outback will remain so.

What I am saying is that your pre-conceived biases should not prevent you or others from possibly missing out on a good thing. I had no love for anything Chrysler prior to looking at and driving (so far) five (5) new Grands and I have yet to find an external or internal trim flaw or driveability issue. That is not to say that there are not any but I can say this: the new Grand Cherokee is a vastly different beast from any prior model year.

I learned a long time ago that an open mind is better any day than an unproven prejudice applied to anything, including automobiles.

For those who have come to the end of their rope with respect to the shaky Outback - and there are plenty on this forum - the JGC is a reasonable option to consider.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
We’re getting seriously off topic here.
Can we open a different thread to discuss other brands of cars and keep this one on track?

·
Registered
2.5i
159 Posts
We’re getting seriously off topic here.
Can we open a different thread to discuss other brands of cars and keep this one on track?
So back to shakers.

Any body get the idea how to measure this shaking?
How much is OK, how much is to much?
From my experience all cars are shakers.
I have "tested" many rentals and all of them are vibrating in some extent.

Unless wheels are balanced on car, with high speed and stroboscopic lights.
But, I don't know if this is permitted in Subaru AWD.

PS. I think many people complain about shaking just to complain about something.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Premium w Eyesight
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
So back to shakers.

Any body get the idea how to measure this shaking?
How much is OK, how much is to much?
From my experience all cars are shakers.
I have "tested" many rentals and all of them are vibrating in some extent.

Unless wheels are balanced on car, with high speed and stroboscopic lights.
But, I don't know if this is permitted in Subaru AWD.

PS. I think many people complain about shaking just to complain about something.
You can start by reading this thread which is a much more appropiate place for your question ..... http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/108-steering-wheel-shake-issues/20843-slight-steering-wheel-shake.html

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 3.6R
858 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 2011, August 2010, 3.6R Limited
2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? No
3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it? N/A
4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Southern California, 950 miles

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Limited--Sky Blue Metallic
766 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model?
2011, July 2010, 3.6R Limited

2) If a problem is evident, yes or no?
No

3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it?
N/A
No shaking or oscillation at any speed, up to 80+ mph.

4) Location and current mileage of vehicle?
Central NJ, 1350 miles

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 MT White
21 Posts
1) 2011, pd 7/10, Premium, mt-6
2) Yes is starting to shake
3) Starts shaking at 70 mph sometime gets worse 72-74, seems worse going down hill. Not bad enough to take to the dealer(they have no fix yet) and they are not experimenting on my wife's car
4) Central NY 1500 miles

Only noticeable on the interstate and we only do that when we go visit our son at collage once a month.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited 2.5
17 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 2011, Built 9/10, OB Premium

2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? Yes

3) If there is a problem, what measures have been taken by dealer to alleviate it?
None yet. Have had car 4 days and just noticed shimmy today.

4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? Northern Colorado, 300 +- miles

·
Registered
313 Posts
Took a short 100 mile round trip yesterday to one of my favorite gun ranges, all expressway driving.

Let's see, 65 mph, hold it steady for awhile, good, no shakes.........

70 mph, hold it for a few miles, no shakes.........

75 mph for a good steady 5 minutes, no shakes.......

Nice straight stretch, not much traffic - 80 mph, hold it for a few minutes, oops, passed a parked state trooper in the median, even though my steering wheel isn't shaking, I am! :eek:

Geez, if I hadn't read so much about this dreaded shake issue, I might be able to take my focus off the speedometer and the friggin' steering wheel and maybe enjoy some scenery! :8:

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6 limited
11 Posts
1) Year, Build date & model? 2011, Built 9/10, Outback limited 3.6

2) If a problem is evident, yes or no? Yes

None yet. Bringing it in tomorrow

4) Location and current mileage of vehicle? New Hampshire. 570 miles

161 - 180 of 216 Posts