Subaru Outback Forums banner

Has your windshield cracked on your Gen 5 Outback?

• My windshield has not cracked

Votes: 219 57.3%
  • My windshield has cracked once

Votes: 114 29.8%
  • My windshield has cracked twice

Votes: 37 9.7%
  • My windshield has cracked three or more times

Votes: 12 3.1%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,654 Posts
I had a rock chip that cracked horizontally across the windshield 1/4 of the way up from the bottom 16 months ago on my 2015. The replacement windshield lasted a couple of days before it failed. The replacement for the replacement has been fine. I have the 6-cylinder Limited trim with the heated pads under the windshield wiper landing spots. I never had issues with that known fragile point at the bottom of the windshield.

My VW GTIs used to eat windshields. The car is a lot lower to the ground so I had a lot more rocks and gravel flying into the windshield. The Outback is average for where I drive. It's dumb luck if it doesn't break every 50,000 miles. My body-on-frame SUVs were much higher off the ground and windshields didn't break often.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6
36 Posts
2017 cracked for no reasons

2018 not yet but it’s supposed to be an improved windshield for 2018

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i
34 Posts
2017, had it for 6 months, taken a few really nasty hits and I have two very minor chips but no cracks. I did however take a nasty hit to the front grill and it took out a piece, I was looking for an excuse to get the JDM grill anyways 😃

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i
34 Posts
why would it crack? unless a stone or something has hit from the car in front
Lots of people say they are quite prone to cracking, I think the point of the poll is to see how common it actually is. As for how a windshield can crack besides a rock, I had a windshield crack just from warming up the car in the winter, this wasn't an outback though. It had no chips or cracks prior, turned on the defroster one morning and after a couple minutes it just cracked. Though, this was a -40°c morning.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,083 Posts
Glass is a strong, but inherently brittle material. A stone hit, a hidden manufacturing defect, or a flawed installation can provide an initiation site (i.e. a "stress riser" in engineering-speak) for a crack to start. After that, there are two main mechanisms for crack formation and propagation:
  • The windshield in modern cars is bonded in place and is an integral part of the chassis structure. The windshield experiences varying shear stresses while you drive, due to chassis deflection in response to dynamic suspension forces.
  • Substantial thermal stresses can develop when the windshield is heated or cooled. (Hint: When your car has been sitting out in the summer sun, closed up, for 15 minutes or more, don't turn the garden hose on the windshield! Conversely, in winter don't pour hot water on a frozen windshield!)
I think the point of the poll is to see how common it actually is.
Any "poll" in which the participants are self-selected is not going to be statistically valid.

Reactions: Kevin

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,118 Posts
FWIW when I leased my 2018 Outback in July of 2017 I made sure to purchase the Xzilon glass protection package available with it. I had read so many people complain on this site about their windshields cracking, for little or no reason, that it made me paranoid about the fragility of my windshield.

Low and behold two months to the day when I am to turn this leased vehicle in I notice a long crack that has formed on my windshield that was not there during the previous week in which the car had been parked, not driven at all. I had this inspected at Subaru's request and all I was told was that a rock probably hit the windshield at some point and then the windshield cracked at a later point perhaps due to variations in outdoor temperatures. And I have not heard back from Subaru since so I guess I will have to file a claim with Xzilon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
where are the outback's made for the US market? they must be assembled in mexico or somewhere with poor quality control standards
there has been absolutely no cases of windscreen's just "cracking" for no reason here in Australia

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i
34 Posts
where are the outback's made for the US market? they must be assembled in mexico or somewhere with poor quality control standards
there has been absolutely no cases of windscreen's just "cracking" for no reason here in Australia
They are made in the US, I suspect Australia doesn't have 50°c temperature shifts over two days, also when its -40 and you blow heat onto the windshield to defrost it, there is a lot of stress on it.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i
34 Posts
Nowhere in the world has 50C temperature shifts over 2 days.
Canada does lol, just last year, -50 one morning, end of the day it was up to around -20, by the end of the next day it was around 0. Its why our roads are always so bad, we have crazy temperature shifts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Canada does lol, just last year, -50 one morning, end of the day it was up to around -20, by the end of the next day it was around 0. Its why our roads are always so bad, we have crazy temperature shifts.
I'd love to see the weather report for that day, and exactly the proof that it happened.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i
34 Posts
I'd love to see the weather report for that day, and exactly the proof that it happened.
I'm not sure the exact day so hard to find proof, 50° shift might be a very slight exaggeration but 40 to 45° is actually quite common within a few days. We had more than a handful of days in the -50°c, really not that uncommon here. Last week we were at 30° and today we hit -5 and snow, and that is quite standard for may. We have crazy weather.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,136 Posts
So you have been in touch with every single Outback owner in Australia? That must keep you busy.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,118 Posts
Here is Wisconsin USA we have had several days recently where the variance in temperatures can be sunny and 70 degrees Fahrenheit during the day to below freezing at night.

·
Registered
MY2016 3.6R
32 Posts
Talked to a glass mech one day and he mentioned that subarus are particularly prone to cracks once the chip is in the top corners (where the wipers don’t get to)... and other manufacturers are apparently better.

·
Registered
2018 White Outback Touring 2.5i
671 Posts
I was following a dump truck that was dropping gravel and dirt off the back of his truck. I'm waiting for a good place to pass this guy without getting my windshield broken. Finally I get a smooth straight stretch of road and I whip around and pass him with no chips or dings on my car. Well in the next left hand curve a dump truck on the other side of the California barrier must have hit a pot hole and gravel comes flying over onto my side of the road and ding I got a chip on the windshield. It just wasn't my day so I said allot of bad words and got a chip repair kit and fixed it pretty good. So I don't care if this windshield gets cracked and finished off now.

141 - 160 of 189 Posts