Subaru Outback Forums banner

How do you feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 47 23.9%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 41 20.8%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 84 42.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YINZ VOTE

·
Registered
2003 Outback Lim 5spdMT 2.5L, 241K..2013 Outback Lim SAP
1,356 Posts
I'm getting all my thousands of illegal invader LA friends to vote, since I am told that's what we left leaning folk do to sway elections.
:ROFLMAO:
(quickly ducks and hides behind sofa)

clearly its rigged - I thought we just learned here that no one actually "loves it" :LOL:

·
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm getting all my thousands of illegal invader LA friends to vote, since I am told that's what we left leaning folk do to sway elections.
:ROFLMAO:
(quickly ducks and hides behind sofa)

clearly its rigged - I thought we just learned here that no one actually "loves it" :LOL:
People who like this feature are known as "Chads" and they are known for hanging around places like this and disrupting vote counts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it really THAT inconvenient? It saves gas and wear on your engine... so really, it's not that bad.

I thought I hated it at first too in my wife's Odyssey... but now that I've had it 8 months, I don't even give it a thought.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,076 Posts
I think Subaru is losing customers over this.
They could even charge people for having an off button on the dash, as one of the options. Obviously other vehicles have it, so it doesn't appear to affect this CAFE mandate. Even if not permanently off, a button on the dash would probably make it ok for most.
And then, we can all have it our way!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,884 Posts
I think Subaru is losing customers over this.
They could even charge people for having an off button on the dash, as one of the options. Obviously other vehicles have it, so it doesn't appear to affect this CAFE mandate. Even if not permanently off, a button on the dash would probably make it ok for most.
And then, we can all have it our way!
Based on the sales numbers of the Forester any customers they lose for this system are more than made up for since it's increased dramatically since introduction.

Outback is too new to really say.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,076 Posts
Based on the sales numbers of the Forester any customers they lose for this system are more than made up for since it's increased dramatically since introduction.

Outback is too new to really say.
Forester has it implemented the same way and no physical button on the dash? Never really looked much at Foresters.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I voted. My biggest complaint about it is that the re-start is harsh and jarring it's not smooth at all. Otherwise I'm sort of indifferent to it.
That sounds like more of a "I don't like it but I can live with it."
to me. People who "don't care", don't have complaints.

REVOTE!!

lolol Im just teasing.

by the way, love the username!

·
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"It saves gas and wear on your engine...".

Wrong.

Every start on your engine is additional WEAR, period. Hot or cold, it's additional wear.

Any automotive engineer specializing in drive trains will admit to that.

Saving gas? Perhaps - it probably does, but unless you're regularly stuck in traffic jam city (ex, LA or New York), you're not talking about a large amount of fuel.

Personally, if I was that concerned about saving gas and emissions, I'd buy a Toyota hybrid (Camry, Highlander, ex). They seem to have that technology nailed down.
Got any data to backup that it wears down engine? Everywhere I look it says the starter is designed for around 500,000 start-stop cycles in cars that have auto start-stop (compared to ~50,000 cycles for normal starters). And that the engine is not cold enough to cause any significantly worse wear due to lack of lubrication. In fact, I would say an engine still running would have slightly more wear and tear than one that's stopped.

Also according to this article, Japan had this since 2010:
This is not the thread for technical discussion, please use the established thread linked below:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's some pretty good explanation quoted in other forums, and it can be found on caranddriver site:
...If you never want to drive with stop/start engaged, you’ll have to hit that button every time you fire up your car or truck.

Automakers get incentives to do it this way from the Environmental Protection Agency. If the vehicle’s stop/start system is nonlatching and automatically turns on whenever you start the car, the EPA’s fuel-economy test results will be calculated only when the system is engaged. But if a vehicle’s stop/start system can be permanently turned off, then the vehicle’s fuel economy is tested both when stop/start is active and when it’s off. The EPA then averages the two tests for a resulting fuel-economy rating found on the car’s window sticker—which is certain to be lower.

Since stop/start is estimated to boost fuel economy by 4 to 5 percent using the EPA test cycle, according to Buick, obviously it has a positive effect on the fuel-economy rating. Carmakers who have nonlatching stop/start systems also qualify for additional “off cycle” emissions credits from the EPA, and those can be applied to meet their overall targets for Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards....
So, Subaru may never let drivers turn it off permanently, because it will now cost them money.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Here's some pretty good explanation quoted in other forums, and it can be found on caranddriver site:
Thats cool,
The same EPA that just rolled back a rule about how coal fired plants get rid of arsenic, lead and mercury?
The same EPA that just rolled back regulations regarding industrial pollution in water?
THAT EPA?

yeah - glad my already partial zero emission car defaults to shudder and shake and lag every time I leave a stopped position to save a few drops of gas because THAT EPA said it needs to. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 251 Posts