Subaru Outback Forums banner

How do you feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 46 23.7%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 41 21.1%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 82 42.3%

• Total voters
181 - 200 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts
And if you press even harder, then it will also deactivate it. But it's just a pain to have to bother with any of that at all. And if you're doing that, then you're still deactivating/defeating the intent of the system. So you might as well just have a more direct way that doesn't continually require such annoyances.
I agree, but now you have a starter that's rated for 300 years, if you always disable S/S one way or the other. :)

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
2,890 Posts
I agree, but now you have a starter that's rated for 300 years, if you always disable S/S one way or the other. :)
But then when your ancestors finally have to change it the bolts will be rusty and they will break off. The blame will fall back to you in the family history records.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And if you press even harder, then it will also deactivate it. But it's just a pain to have to bother with any of that at all. And if you're doing that, then you're still deactivating/defeating the intent of the system. So you might as well just have a more direct way that doesn't continually require such annoyances.
In another thread someone observed that the manual says start/stop won't activate if the hood open switch is active. Not sure what other unintended consequences there might be to tricking that switch.

·
Registered
236 Posts
In another thread someone observed that the manual says start/stop won't activate if the hood open switch is active. Not sure what other unintended consequences there might be to tricking that switch.
Yes, I've looked for the hood switch but didn't see an obvious one. Unless I'm just missing it. That would be a good candidate for something to simulate an open condition at start up and then switch back off to avoid a continual warning light as some others do. If we could find the [email protected] thing anyway... Must be one there somewhere.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts
Yes, I've looked for the hood switch but didn't see an obvious one. Unless I'm just missing it. That would be a good candidate for something to simulate an open condition at start up and then switch back off to avoid a continual warning light as some others do. If we could find the [email protected] thing anyway... Must be one there somewhere.
Can you explain more? If you disable it, would that not re-enable S/S?
I heard people talk about using a battery with a lower capacity. Wondering if that helps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can you explain more? If you disable it, would that not re-enable S/S?
I heard people talk about using a battery with a lower capacity. Wondering if that helps.
Don't know about these but I've seen similar for other cars, e.g.:

Depends on how the system works whether it would be re-enabled. In the GM as above, Jeep, and some others, the check is done once on startup and is set from then on until the next start. Would be easy enough to test for the Subaru by opening the hood, starting, closing, and then driving and see what happens.

I doubt that a battery of a different but still adequate reserve capacity would do anything (other than lower your battery capacity). There is a monitoring circuit usually with a separate wire connecting to the battery that could be removed (which some also do as a start/stop kill) but that would be more complicated and could affect more things, leave warning lights lit, etc.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Lim 5spdMT 2.5L, 241K..2013 Outback Lim SAP
1,354 Posts
everyone sharing their tricks to make the system not engage is funny to me. people retraining themselves to drive differently just to make a forced tech not engage. driving in LA is way too much stop and go, pressing even 10 buttons to disengage would be less annoying than retraining myself to drive. never mind that many here have already said they try the “tricks” and they arent easy to make happen consistently.

give everyone a top level or hard button. What i see here in this long thread is many who say they ”dont mind it” would still turn it off if it was a hard button, because they are actively trying to trick the system to not engage

well done Subaru. well done. 🙄

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
everyone sharing their tricks to make the system not engage is funny to me. people retraining themselves to drive differently just to make a forced tech not engage. driving in LA is way too much stop and go, pressing even 10 buttons to disengage would be less annoying than retraining myself to drive. never mind that many here have already said they try the “tricks” and they arent easy to make happen consistently.

give everyone a top level or hard button. What i see here in this long thread is many who say they ”dont mind it” would still turn it off if it was a hard button, because they are actively trying to trick the system to not engage

well done Subaru. well done. 🙄
It's funnier knowing there are folks making a conscious decision to buy a vehicle, with an arguably intrusive feature, they know ahead of time that they will hate.

Of course maybe some are smarter and walking past the OB as 2019 monthly sales of them over the last 3-4 months are below 2018 sales for the same period.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Does anyone know what determines the amount of time the engine stays off before restarting? It seems to be anywhere from 15 to 25 seconds. I would expect if I am at a red light that last 1 minute that the engine would stay off for that amount of time. But like I mentioned it seems to stay off for 15 to 25 secs. I can't seem to determine a pattern for the amount of time the engine stays off. Nothing is mentioned in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback XT Touring
127 Posts
Does anyone know what determines the amount of time the engine stays off before restarting? It seems to be anywhere from 15 to 25 seconds. I would expect if I am at a red light that last 1 minute that the engine would stay off for that amount of time. But like I mentioned it seems to stay off for 15 to 25 secs. I can't seem to determine a pattern for the amount of time the engine stays off. Nothing is mentioned in the owner's manual.
I think it is a combination of things like how many devices are turned on (lights, HVAC, heated seats, etc) and how much remaining battery power.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I think it is a combination of things like how many devices are turned on (lights, HVAC, heated seats, etc) and how much remaining battery power.
Exactly. Multiple systems being monitored and when one is outside the parameters the engine restarts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Exactly. Multiple systems being monitored and when one is outside the parameters the engine restarts.
Ok thanks guys. I live in NY so it is cold at the moment. It will be interesting when spring and summer arrive how the engine shutdown time will change.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts
Ok thanks guys. I live in NY so it is cold at the moment. It will be interesting when spring and summer arrive how the engine shutdown time will change.
WPMike, could you do a quick test:
Open the hood, then start the car. Close the hood (engine is running), then just drive away normally. Is S/S activated after this procedure?
This would tell us if the S/S system is turned back on after the hood is closed with a running engine. If it's not, then finding the switch would be the next step. :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
241 Posts
It doesn't save wear on the engine. And I don't think it saves gas or pollution either. Its just a stupid government test that favors it. That's all.
It is supposed to save 30 gallons a year, or about $75.. Yet the cost for a upgraded battery and starter motor is $225..:p

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
241 Posts
Bill is driving in a car with Jack. Every time Jack comes to a stop sign, he shuts the engine off, then re-starts it. Finally Bill asks him why is he doing that? Jack answers, "to save gas". Do you think Jack is right on, or is Jack off?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
It's funnier knowing there are folks making a conscious decision to buy a vehicle, with an arguably intrusive feature, they know ahead of time that they will hate.

Of course maybe some are smarter and walking past the OB as 2019 monthly sales of them over the last 3-4 months are below 2018 sales for the same period.
you imply there is some perfect car out there that we would 100% like.
Id like to know what that car is.
I love the car. But yeah - I hate a few features. That would be the same with any car, so I don't really get your logic.
Maybe you can suggest cars I would prefer?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
you imply there is some perfect car out there that we would 100% like.
Id like to know what that car is.
I love the car. But yeah - I hate a few features. That would be the same with any car, so I don't really get your logic.
Maybe you can suggest cars I would prefer?
I'm not implying anything. If I knew a vehicle had a feature I was going to detest, endlessly rant about, look for work around's or need to lean new driving techniques to circumvent that feature, it would not be a vehicle I would knowing buy.

There is a difference between buying a car with less than desirable features you can live with and buying a vehicle with features that take all the fun out of driving the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'm not implying anything. If I knew a vehicle had a feature I was going to detest, endlessly rant about, look for work around's or need to lean new driving techniques to circumvent that feature, it would not be a vehicle I would knowing buy.

There is a difference between buying a car with less than desirable features you can live with and buying a vehicle with features that take all the fun out of driving the vehicle.
still not sure what a better car would be, as clearly I really like these cars in general - and I never see anything I would rather have, though occasionally I keep an eye on what else is out there - but what would that even be, since the S/S tech seems to have been in cars for years now and Subaru seems to be one of the later adoptions? Im not even sure what similar type of car doesnt have the tech at this point.

I mean, I turn it off - so my driving is without it. But yeah -we talk about it here, share ideas, debate, hope Subaru makes some adjustments from the feedback (like a hard button or something since its not likely going away.

If the foresters tomorrow stopped having the S/S, I would still buy the outback- as I like it worlds more.
So to me, the S/S is simply a "less than desirable feature". If there was no way to shut it off, I may be looking more at some other options and we would be having a discussion.

181 - 200 of 241 Posts