Subaru Outback Forums banner

How do you feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 46 23.7%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 41 21.1%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 82 42.3%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited Eyesight, 2018 Legacy 3.6R Eyesight
263 Posts
I've owned 3 Gen 5 Outbacks and my wife drives a 2018 Legacy 3.6R so it's a sure thing that I love Subarus. However, when I saw that they were adding start/stop to the 2020 Outback, I thought my current 2019 3.6R would be my last Outback. The initial response to this intrusive feature convinces me I was right. The Ascent doesn't have it....yet....correct? Maybe there is still hope.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it really THAT inconvenient? It saves gas and wear on your engine... so really, it's not that bad.

I thought I hated it at first too in my wife's Odyssey... but now that I've had it 8 months, I don't even give it a thought.
Thats cool,
The same EPA that just rolled back a rule about how coal fired plants get rid of arsenic, lead and mercury?
The same EPA that just rolled back regulations regarding industrial pollution in water?
THAT EPA?

yeah - glad my already partial zero emission car defaults to shudder and shake and lag every time I leave a stopped position to save a few drops of gas because THAT EPA said it needs to. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts
Is it really THAT inconvenient? It saves gas and wear on your engine... so really, it's not that bad.

I thought I hated it at first too in my wife's Odyssey... but now that I've had it 8 months, I don't even give it a thought.
It doesn't save wear on the engine. And I don't think it saves gas or pollution either. Its just a stupid government test that favors it. That's all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
People change their minds all the time..and any government entity (such as the EPA) is made up of people.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
2,890 Posts
People change their minds all the time..and any government entity (such as the EPA) is made up of people.
When people in government change their minds it is quite often due to lobby groups and money. Regulations involving the environment are always more about money than the environment.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Now I’ve seen it all! The S/S thread terminates with sex. Wow, didn’t see that one coming....snort!! Happy Thanksgiving, I’m thankful for all the personalities found here and info I’ve gleaned as well, for sure🦃

·
Registered
11 Posts
Based upon all the rentals cars I have driven with it, I thought I would hate it and so would my wife. We've had our 2020 2.5L since Nov 8 and neither of us mind stop-start. I think the implementation of the timer and fuel saved information made it easier to live with. The restart is a bit harsh, but still OK.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
48 Posts
I won't lie, every time I see a new post to this thread I'm hoping someone figured out how to make S/S off by default.

Sigh...
One day😪

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,075 Posts

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
341 Posts
I think Subaru is losing customers over this.
They could even charge people for having an off button on the dash, as one of the options. Obviously other vehicles have it, so it doesn't appear to affect this CAFE mandate. Even if not permanently off, a button on the dash would probably make it ok for most.
And then, we can all have it our way!
I would not buy
I think Subaru is losing customers over this.
They could even charge people for having an off button on the dash, as one of the options. Obviously other vehicles have it, so it doesn't appear to affect this CAFE mandate. Even if not permanently off, a button on the dash would probably make it ok for most.
And then, we can all have it our way!
I would not buy one period. How much abuse can a starter take? I have changed several over the years with normal driving as well as failed bendix,

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
859 Posts
I would not buy

I would not buy one period. How much abuse can a starter take? I have changed several over the years with normal driving as well as failed bendix,
A lot. Auto S/S equipped cars use a different starter motor than normal starters. These are rated for 500,000 cycles Vs. 50,000 for normal cars.

141 - 160 of 241 Posts