Subaru Outback Forums banner

How do you feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 47 23.9%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 41 20.8%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 84 42.6%

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
862 Posts
(*runs back up to the conversation)

awww we aren't talking about sex anymore? ****. I was too late.
The topic under discussion is the amount of stops and starts and vibrations and wear and tear and overheating components from above actions. It's easy enough to veer off course and end up in places you don't expect.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Lim 5spdMT 2.5L, 241K..2013 Outback Lim SAP
1,356 Posts
The topic under discussion is the amount of stops and starts and vibrations and wear and tear and overheating components from above actions. It's easy enough to veer off course and end up in places you don't expect.
well done, well done indeed.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’ve been letting s/s do its thing to see if it helps mpg. I’m averaging about 22. I’m getting use to it but still don’t like it.

·
Registered
1993 Loyalle/Manual, 2004 Outback 2.5/Manual, 2009 Outback Limited 2.5/Auto, 2015 Outback Limited 2.5
30 Posts
Come on I am sure you can teach your parents to hit the car icon..then hit others..then hit disable. I am 75 and I taught myself that..takes 5 seconds to disable.
Come on I am sure you can teach your parents to hit the car icon..then hit others..then hit disable. I am 75 and I taught myself that..takes 5 seconds to disable.
Well, they have had the car two months, and Mom still asks what she has to do to start it. LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Push the physical rear defroster button. Bask in a turned off s/s system.
So your suggestion keeps the rear defroster on all the time.
For me it is just as easy.....just 2 more steps..car icon...others...disable s/s...and I have no unnecessary systems enabled/drawing power

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
483 Posts
So your suggestion keeps the rear defroster on all the time.
For me it is just as easy.....just 2 more steps..car icon...others...disable s/s...and I have no unnecessary systems enabled/drawing power
Sure, fair enough. I actually keep s/s on all the time, almost never disabling it, but in a pinch (e.g. while driving) that physical button is a simple way to disable it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Been cold here lately so the S/S doesn't happen at all. Didn't realize that it might be because rear defrost is always on.

Doesn't really bother me the few times that it has engaged, though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Front defrost mode on will also keep it from activating IIRC
Does anyone know if the start/stop is sensing drain, or the actual switch position to determine whether or not to do the start/stop? If it's sensing the switch, then I suppose there might be a way to trick it into thinking the defroster is on, but a second switch is cutting its actual power drain. If you really need the real defroster you can leave the secondary toggle on.

What we need is a physical button to genuinely turn off the start/stop instead of having to go through menus.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure what the big deal is with the auto stop/start system or why so many hate it and want to disable it permanently. It's very simple to keep it from initiating and you don't have to navigate into the menus. When you come to a stop, relax pressure on the brake pedal, not so much that the car creeps forward, but with just enough pressure to keep the car from moving. Tada, the engine stays at idle. If its going to be a long stop, multi-way signal, railroad crossing, etc. just press harder on the pedal and auto stop will be initiated. Simple, even this 65 y/o can do it without a problem! Added benefit is a smoother stop for your passengers since relaxing the pedal pressure as the car stops can nearly eliminate that little jerk when the car comes to a complete stop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not sure what the big deal is with the auto stop/start system or why so many hate it and want to disable it permanently. It's very simple to keep it from initiating and you don't have to navigate into the menus. When you come to a stop, relax pressure on the brake pedal, not so much that the car creeps forward, but with just enough pressure to keep the car from moving. Tada, the engine stays at idle. If its going to be a long stop, multi-way signal, railroad crossing, etc. just press harder on the pedal and auto stop will be initiated. Simple, even this 65 y/o can do it without a problem! Added benefit is a smoother stop for your passengers since relaxing the pedal pressure as the car stops can nearly eliminate that little jerk when the car comes to a complete stop.
I read about that trick but when I try it, it stops anyway. Maybe my foot's too heavy? I'll try that trick again and if I can master it, then that's fine. In my previous car I would always relax the brake pressure for that smooth stop, so as I get used to the car it should be doable. Thanks for reminding about that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Not sure what the big deal is with the auto stop/start system...
And if you press even harder, then it will also deactivate it. But it's just a pain to have to bother with any of that at all. And if you're doing that, then you're still deactivating/defeating the intent of the system. So you might as well just have a more direct way that doesn't continually require such annoyances.

161 - 180 of 251 Posts