Subaru Outback Forums banner

How do you REALLY feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 119 18.5%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 156 24.2%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 283 43.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 1525 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited, 3.6R, Abyss Blue
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 2.4T engine will have stop/start in the 2020 OB? It's apparent the 2.5 will have it. I don't think the Ascent has S/S and it has the 2.4 T. So I'm hoping not in the OB either. I DON"T want it. But it's getting harder and harder to find vehicles without this annoying "feature" of dubious value at best.

·
Registered
18 OB 2.5i Ltd w/ES Crystal Blk/Ivory
594 Posts
Does anyone know if the 2.4T engine will have stop/start in the 2020 OB? It's apparent the 2.5 will have it. I don't think the Ascent has S/S and it has the 2.4 T. So I'm hoping not in the OB either. I DON"T want it. But it's getting harder and harder to find vehicles without this annoying "feature" of dubious value at best.

·
Registered
442 Posts
What does that set of gauges show? Miles driven and gallons saved? Can you explain, please?

That’s not an OB, is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,657 Posts
All Gen 6 will have auto start stop.

I would try it before damning it.

I think I read somewhere about being able to permanently disabled auto start stop by plugging in a trailer connection so the car thinks it's towing all the time.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
446 Posts
I think I read somewhere about being able to permanently disabled auto start stop by plugging in a trailer connection so the car thinks it's towing all the time.
That's only valid on a few specific vehicles, like the Ford F150.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,415 Posts
What does that set of gauges show? Miles driven and gallons saved? Can you explain, please?

That’s not an OB, is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
So, the photo is from my Auto Stop/Start meter from my 2019 Forester Premium Option Pkg 15 if it makes a difference.

It shows that over "Trip B" which I plan on keeping for "Lifetime" Data which has been a touch over 5700 miles, the auto stop/start has been active in about 13.5 hours of idling, meaning it has turned off the engine for 13.5 hours that would have otherwise been idling. It's also potentially saved me about 6.25 gallons of fuel. For me, it's not about the ~20 it's saved me at the pump, but more about the fact that I didn't just spew 13.5 hours worth of emissions into the air. This is also the "drop in a bucket, but together we're an ocean" mentality whereas if everyone saved 13 hours of idling emissions over 6 months, there's a bigger effect for the environment. The same way that people are critical of downsizing from V8's to V6's, and again now from V6's to I4/H4's and 4-cylinder turbos.

I recall having a 1990 Jeep Wrangler with an I6 that would get me around 10 mpg highway, let alone city miles.

I was "used to" the Auto Stop/start in about a week of driving, and now it's second nature. I can manipulate the force I apply to brakes to keep the system from activating when I know it's a short stop, like at a stop sign or in a momentary bumper-to-bumper traffic type scenario to avoid an extra duty cycle.

In real-life driving, having done about 2 tanks' worth of fuel with the system disabled, I noticed that my mpg by the tankful increases from the 20-21 mpg range to closer to 25 mpg. Again, I drive mostly city, so this means I end up having the system activate more than a highway driver would. So, I gladly welcome the ~20% mpg gains.

Also, Yes, I've heard that the permanent disabling by fooling the computer to think you're towing something will work, however, there is speculation that this will also alter the way that the vehicle dynamics will function, like active torque vectoring, because the computer again thinks you're towing something. Use caution, as you're playing with a feature that may cause unintended consequences.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
Also, Yes, I've heard that the permanent disabling by fooling the computer to think you're towing something will work, however, there is speculation that this will also alter the way that the vehicle dynamics will function, like active torque vectoring, because the computer again thinks you're towing something. Use caution, as you're playing with a feature that may cause unintended consequences.
Redneck modifications almost always have unintended consequences......

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,086 Posts
On the surface, stop/start doesn't seems like a great idea for turbos. Good way to cook the oil in the bearings. But with modern engine controls, that can be addressed, limiting the start/stop if oil temp is too high. In which case, how much will start/stop actually be able to intervene?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
From what I am reading there are temperature components involved with whether or not the computer will allow it to trigger. I suppose it is possible if it is exceptionally high to not allow it to activate. Likewise if it drops too low the engine will kick on - I saw that first hand in the winter this year.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,657 Posts
I believe the phrase you're looking for is:

"Prepare for unforeseen consequences."

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
@Brucey - Half-Life 2 reference! I've been waiting for HL3 for almost 15 years now?

λ λ λ λ λ λ λ λ λ λ λ λ λ λ

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
314 Posts
It has been said that something has to be done with the touch-screen on the 2020 Outback to turn the stop/start off on a "trip only" basis, as opposed to a single button to push. Any details on that? That is better than many GM cars that cannot be turned off at all. However, I hate this feature.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5
19 Posts
Yep, it will. Can't say how I know, but I know.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Per the offical Subaru press release:

For the first time since 2009, the Outback lineup offers a turbocharged engine. Standard on XT models, the 2.4-liter turbocharged BOXER engine delivers robust all-around performance with 260 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 277 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm and is paired with a high-torque Lineartronic CVT with 8-speed manual control and steering wheel paddle shift control switches. The turbocharged engine comes standard with Auto Start-Stop for improved fuel efficiency and achieves up to 30 mpg

·
Banned
2019 Outback 3.6R Touring w/ Auto start and all options but the ash tray.
39 Posts
Also keep it in mind there is a separate battery that runs the auto start stop function and they are very pricey and hard to replace. I had to replace one in a 2017 auto at a cost of $280 and they are very hard to service yourself.

1 - 20 of 1525 Posts