Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

How do you REALLY feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 126 11.2%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 203 18.0%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 274 24.4%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 522 46.4%
2321 - 2340 of 2385 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Ltd CVT, 06 Legacy GT because #racecar :)
75 Posts
lol, have you tried 2-stepping each time you brake? I would think that could kill that BS by confusing it until you have a chance to get it tuned out of the computer, maybe; PS I wouldn't buy an XT with start/stop, no way

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
342 Posts
For the most part, there are many who agree with you... and @Danver has adroll sense of humor (I don't mind it, but I might be in the minority)

Reactions: 1werd and Danver

·
Registered
219 Posts
For the most part, there are many who agree with you... and @Danver has adroll sense of humor (I don't mind it, but I might be in the minority)

First thing I did was install the AutoStartStopEliminator, now it’s exactly like a normal car (it also allows you of keeping the function on - if you wish). It remembers your last setting.
My best mod yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry Y'all, this is my first day here so if my gripe is redundant, so be it. Since I have the 2.4 engine, I suppose I may have answered somebody's question.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Easy enough fix with the Auto start/stop eliminator. Also much easier to turn it off from the home screen now than it was before. Not sure if the loaner you had had the latest update applied to enable this.
Go for the AutoStopEliminator, I’ve done several mods to date and this one is by far the most satisfying - less than 10 minutes to install.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
When I test drove an XT, the sales rep turned it off before I got in the car. Or, the engine is cold enough so it doesn’t activate.

+1 for the AutoStop Eliminator, best thing I’ve done for driver enjoyment in a long time - takes 15 minutes to install. Probably less, took me a while to find the right socket.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
115 Posts
I remember when BMW rolled out this feature in the early 2010's. BMW eventually released a TSB, basically stating if a customer complained enough about it, the dealer could program the vehicle to default the auto start stop feature to be off when the key was cycled. We ended up doing a lot of those...

I wonder if Subaru has something similar. In theory, it's just a simple software tweak. At least the aftermarket has a solution.

·
Registered
1995 Legacy 2.2L | 2005 Outback XT 2.5L
103 Posts
I have never owned a car with this feature, but I have driven a newer model Hyundai santa fe with auto start/stop. I think it's annoying and I get that it's a "fuel efficiency" thing but still. I think manufacturers should have it remember whether it was on or off between key cycles as well as having something sucha as a button on the steeing wheel or something like that that you can press if you know you're going to be waiting for a decent amount of time, i.e. a railroad crossing / drive thru.

It seems like manufacturers were just like "well, hybrids have it, so lets just put it in all our cars."

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
You have a 2005 Outback XT so you've reached the pinnacle of Subaru already.

As for why it defaults to on instead of off - it's for CAFE credits or EPA mileage claims. However the car was configured, whether it's auto-stop, a certain oil viscosity, etc. the manufacturer needs to essentially make that the default choice for owners.

·
Registered
20 Onyx XT
20 Posts
+1 for the start stop eliminator. It’s a little intimidating to pull off interior trim on your new baby, but it completely eliminates this concern... and if you decide to turn the feature back on, then it remembers that preference as well. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
‘06 OB Limited 5spd—>’21 OB Touring XT
49 Posts
I’ve had my new ride for 3 weeks now, and had every intention to embrace the auto stop/start. My first experience with this technology was with a rented Alfa Romeo in France in 2012, and it was flawless. I was hopeful, despite the reviews I’ve read here about the experience.

Add me to the list of those that have ordered the AutoStartstop Eliminator, tho, as of today. I want control of my car, and the limited amount of return in fuel savings isn’t worth the annoyance of how this works on our vehicles. Disappointed in how it’s executed from Subaru, but certainly glad there’s a solution in the aftermarket.

My ‘06 taught me to not wait to make the car yours, and to enjoy the **** out of it. I’m implementing that lesson immediately in my ‘21.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
342 Posts
I get about a half gallon per hour of stop it seems, actually that might be an interesting thread in and of itself....

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
Half a gallon per hour of gas at idle is very high - either the car has a thirsty idle or the calculation is optimistic (pretending it's saving more gas than it is).

Vehicle type, fuel type, displacement in liters, gross vehicle weight (-), idle gallons per hour
Compact SedanGas2-0.16
Large SedanGas4.6-0.39

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,669 Posts
Go for the AutoStopEliminator, I’ve done several mods to date and this one is by far the most satisfying - less than 10 minutes to install.
Agreed.
I don't even know anymore that the car has S/S, except that I am now reminded by the off center top level button. Wish they would have left it 3 levels down in the menus, LoL. :)

2321 - 2340 of 2385 Posts