Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

How do you REALLY feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 126 11.2%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 203 18.0%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 274 24.4%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 522 46.4%
2341 - 2360 of 2385 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
30 hours of not idling. In my XT if the stop/start does shut off the engine it re-starts a few seconds later. If I generously said my engine was stopped for 10 seconds, then it would take 10,800 shut-offs to reach 30 hours of off time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You have a 2005 Outback XT so you've reached the pinnacle of Subaru already.

As for why it defaults to on instead of off - it's for CAFE credits or EPA mileage claims. However the car was configured, whether it's auto-stop, a certain oil viscosity, etc. the manufacturer needs to essentially make that the default choice for owners.
This "pinnacle ain't far above sea level, if at all. Want frustration, try using the CD player on he Touring XT. I think the web expression is POS! Or try the useless reminders annoying the crap out of you. Great stuff like "keep your eyes on the road" or "Look in the back seat" when you shut it off,
I have the Auto Stop Eliminator on order and am tempted to take it to the dealer to install it. If it works as advertised I guess I can hang on to it till the lease is up.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
I have the Auto Stop Eliminator on order and am tempted to take it to the dealer to install it. If it works as advertised I guess I can hang on to it till the lease is up.
The Auto Stop Eliminator has worked 100% perfectly for anyone who has installed it in their 2020/2021 outbacks based on forum posts - with zero problems.

I don't have the nanny tech in my Outback but other Touring owners do and they might be able to help you turn the unwanted stuff off.

Reactions: chvvkumar

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,669 Posts
This was in my Forester:
*if you trust the computer
I don't. Seems a bit of an overestimation.
According to this, our Outbacks should not use more than 0.2 gals per hour idling:
That would make it a savings of 6 gallons total, instead of the 14 displayed for 30 hours. (I do trust that the system can count the time correctly, but not 100% sure, and even the time may be optimistic, but who knows).

Now subtract the extra fuel that is needed to re-start, and to re-charge the battery from the gazillion starting cycles, and you are maybe looking at 3-4 gallons total?
Sounds more reasonable.
But of course, 14 gallons will make the Subaru buyer feel much better. :D

And how do you ever get to 30 hours anyway? The S/S system usually re-starts after 10, maybe 15 seconds. That would make this close to 10,000 restart cycles. Ouch!
No matter what, something doesn't make sense here.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
@flixden You sound judgey… just kidding!

I have a few routes to take to work, but with my Forester lease I took the lowest mileage one which put me through a major city outside of NYC. Lights every couple hundred feet and staggered so you can’t speed.

So, the Forester was the FB25DI and I had the climate set to Eco mode - that’s a setting you don’t get on our Outbacks. Not sure if that anything to do with it but I think interior climate is a factor. I’m pretty sure the lights would change around 60 seconds, and it would stay stopped for the most part until the light changed. That would happen probably 5-10 times a commute. Sometimes more if traffic and luck was bad and I hit all the lights.

But, figure 10 minutes stopped, each way, that’s up to 100 minutes per work week. 5200 minutes per year potentially, that would be 86 hours. Again, I started disabling it after about a year of ownership, so 30ish hours is kind of on target for around 5 minutes each way, more or less.

again I was probably the ideal candidate for autostop type of functioning. Part of me wonders how much I could get that number to.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I don't necessarily mind the start/stop system but I'm having a problem where it turns back on randomly. The start/stop system only ever keeps the car off for at most 40seconds. In most cases this isn't even close a full cycle of the traffic light. I can't figure out what is triggering the car to restart. I've tried with the climate control off, radio off, screen off, etc. Does anyone experience a similar issue? Is there a 40sec timeout?
Replying to old post, I know, but I'm noticing the same thing. Mine goes on at odd times or, it often doesn't go off. Solid stop with foot solidly on brake, just radio on, and I either get the NO A.S.S. icon on dash and doesn't shut off or it shuts off then turns on randomly after some time.
I'm really trying to like this danged car but several "features" just seem to have a mind of their own; Auto stop/start, driver recognition, hands free tailgate, air from vents too hot for temp setting.... then there's my mpgs...

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm new to this stop/start thing and not sure what side of the fence to be on, I've gotten use to the brake pressure thing and if I'm at a short light I apply less pressure.

Is there any data on other auto manufactures that use this start/stop longer than Subaru? If so what issues have come from using start/stop. I thought Chevy and Ford had this on their engines.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
625 Posts
I'm really trying to like this danged car but several "features" just seem to have a mind of their own; Auto stop/start, driver recognition, hands free tailgate, air from vents too hot for temp setting
A few things I've done to deal with these issues:
  1. Set up multiple driver profiles, e.g. with sunglasses on, in bright sunlight, inside garage. It accepts a half-dozen profiles
  2. Disable the hands-free tailgate with button under steering wheel. It's a goofy feature.
  3. No idea about the hot air; I always leave mine on low, and 68º in dead of winter
  4. The big one: Get the AutoStop Eliminator.....probably 100+ forum members have it. Easy install and trouble free. Set and forget forever. Buy it here
Enjoy your '21

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
10,336 Posts
@jzsubaru found the procedure for the dealer to adjust the heat bias in the climate control system:

Reactions: 2020XT

·
Registered
286 Posts
A few things I've done to deal with these issues:
  1. Set up multiple driver profiles, e.g. with sunglasses on, in bright sunlight, inside garage. It accepts a half-dozen profiles
  2. Disable the hands-free tailgate with button under steering wheel. It's a goofy feature.
  3. No idea about the hot air; I always leave mine on low, and 68º in dead of winter
  4. The big one: Get the AutoStop Eliminator.....probably 100+ forum members have it. Easy install and trouble free. Set and forget forever. Buy it here
Enjoy your '21
I hear you but I don't consider disabling/bypassing a good option. I paid for these things, I use most of them, and they should work correctly. That said, I do have the AS/S Eliminator but I'm currently trying a few tanks of gas with it enabled to see if I can improve my mpgs some - just can't figure out why it's coming back on or refusing to stop each time.

·
Registered
286 Posts
@jzsubaru found the procedure for the dealer to adjust the heat bias in the climate control system:

Thanks. Yes, I'm having shop look at this next time in. Even though Service Advisor said he never heard of such a thing he said bring the procedures and they'll try them.

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
625 Posts
I hear you but I don't consider disabling/bypassing a good option
Whatever works for you to make the car yours. That said, you did pay for a button that disables the tailgate, if that makes you feel better about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I gave AS/S a chance, discovered along the way it did better (IMHO) with AVH activated, but now that I'm approaching the 1000 mile mark I'm committing to training myself to turn it off on startup.

Why I dislike it:
  • For starters (no pun intended), even though the car has profiles it refuses to store the driver's selections for AS/S and AVH. They have to be reset EVERY TIME.
  • Most times AS/S is engaged for me for less than 10 seconds, so I suspect whatever gas I save is immediately lost to restarting.
  • When I come to a stop in my driveway AS/S kicks in. As soon as I put the car in park, it restarts 😳 Just in time for me to turn it off again. 😫
(Clue me in if there are fixes for any of the above.)

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium / 2021 Rav4 Prime / 2012 F150 ecoboost
2,669 Posts
I gave AS/S a chance, discovered along the way it did better (IMHO) with AVH activated, but now that I'm approaching the 1000 mile mark I'm committing to training myself to turn it off on startup.

Why I dislike it:
  • For starters (no pun intended), even though the car has profiles it refuses to store the driver's selections for AS/S and AVH. They have to be reset EVERY TIME.
  • Most times AS/S is engaged for me for less than 10 seconds, so I suspect whatever gas I save is immediately lost to restarting.
  • When I come to a stop in my driveway AS/S kicks in. As soon as I put the car in park, it restarts 😳 Just in time for me to turn it off again. 😫
Worse even when you back into a parking spot. The car will shut off as soon as you come to a stop, then immediately restarts. Makes you look like a fool for people outside, and your own passengers if you have any. Embarrassing.

There is the ultimate fix for all of the above: Give the eliminator a try. I have it for a long time now, and it works great. Exactly zero ASS time ever since. :) (y)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
383 Posts

Why I dislike it:
You're not alone in those reasons. The last bullet point reminds me of the Windows Operating System. Wait, I have to click Start to Shutdown?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
383 Posts
Worse even when you back into a parking spot. The car will shut off as soon as you come to a stop, then immediately restarts. Makes you look like a fool for people outside, and your own passengers if you have any. Embarrassing.

There is the ultimate fix for all of the above: Give the eliminator a try. I have it for a long time now, and it works great. Exactly zero ASS time ever since. :) (y)
I have noticed, increasingly in the past year, that at a red light, when it turns green, with the cars around you it sounds like "gentlemen, start your engines".

How does the eliminator work with the latest update that moves the S/S button to the main head unit screen?

2341 - 2360 of 2385 Posts