Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

How do you REALLY feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 126 11.2%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 203 18.0%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 274 24.4%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 522 46.4%
2361 - 2380 of 2385 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited and 2015 Forester Limited
323 Posts
I gave AS/S a chance, discovered along the way it did better (IMHO) with AVH activated, but now that I'm approaching the 1000 mile mark I'm committing to training myself to turn it off on startup.

Why I dislike it:
  • For starters (no pun intended), even though the car has profiles it refuses to store the driver's selections for AS/S and AVH. They have to be reset EVERY TIME.
  • Most times AS/S is engaged for me for less than 10 seconds, so I suspect whatever gas I save is immediately lost to restarting.
  • When I come to a stop in my driveway AS/S kicks in. As soon as I put the car in park, it restarts 😳 Just in time for me to turn it off again. 😫
(Clue me in if there are fixes for any of the above.)
Others have probably replied with this info. I suggest avoiding the "training" process and order an Autostop Eliminator. It's easy to install. Once in place it will remember your selection and keep Auto Start/Stop off or on when you start the vehicle. No need to remember to push a button. I've had mine installed for almost a year now and have never looked back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I gave AS/S a chance, discovered along the way it did better (IMHO) with AVH activated, but now that I'm approaching the 1000 mile mark I'm committing to training myself to turn it off on startup.

Why I dislike it:
  • For starters (no pun intended), even though the car has profiles it refuses to store the driver's selections for AS/S and AVH. They have to be reset EVERY TIME.
  • Most times AS/S is engaged for me for less than 10 seconds, so I suspect whatever gas I save is immediately lost to restarting.
  • When I come to a stop in my driveway AS/S kicks in. As soon as I put the car in park, it restarts 😳 Just in time for me to turn it off again. 😫
(Clue me in if there are fixes for any of the above.)
Others have probably replied with this info. I suggest avoiding the "training" process and order an Autostop Eliminator. It's easy to install. Once in place it will remember your selection and keep Auto Start/Stop off or on when you start the vehicle. No need to remember to push a button. I've had mine installed for almost a year now and have never looked back.
To save $100, I can remember to turn off the auto-start/stop myself when I start the car! It's right there on the main screen just a couple inches below where I have to accept the notice from Subaru's lawyers. I don't even have to think about it anymore, it's just habit.

Now if everyone would email Subaru to get the Auto Vehicle Hold button moved to the main screen that would be some real progress!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Now if everyone would email Subaru to get the Auto Vehicle Hold button moved to the main screen that would be some real progress!
I agree if everyone would request that they may listen. I called about the ASS system to register my displeasure with the ASS feature and was told that there have been a number of calls about the ASS feature and they were working to move it to the home screen. If they are willing to fix that they just may include this AVH on the home screen too. I have already called to request the AVH button to be also placed on the home screen.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
383 Posts
I agree if everyone would request that they may listen. I called about the ASS system to register my displeasure with the ASS feature and was told that there have been a number of calls about the ASS feature and they were working to move it to the home screen. If they are willing to fix that they just may include this AVH on the home screen too. I have already called to request the AVH button to be also placed on the home screen.
What does the Auto Vehicle Hold button do? Other than turn it on and off that is.

·
Registered
136 Posts
What does the Auto Vehicle Hold button do? Other than turn it on and off that is.
Turn it on then you step on the brake with a little force while stopped and the brake sets until you tap the brake or accelerate then it releases the brake. I like it because I can relax my leg and still stay in place while stopped for traffic or whatever. You can also rummage around the glove box, your phone etc knowing that if you don't hit the brake or accelerator you will not creep forward and hit the car in front of you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This useless feature is not only dangerous, but Subaru decided to put it in their vehicles without testing it to see if it actually worked.... What I mean is that most of the time when I stop at a light, after the engines shuts off, for some reason that I haven't been able to figure out, the car starts again even though I have not touched the steering wheel or move the brake petal at all.... I am trying very hard to help the car save as much gas as possible by not touching or moving anything so that the engine will continue off until the traffic conditions change and I can go, but the Subaru software behind this useless feature is so dumb that it starts the engine only a couple of seconds after it shuts off, for no apparent reason.... Clearly, the engineers at Subaru decided to put UNTESTED technology in their cars and now we are all paying for their stupidity, simply because they wanted to lie about their fuel consumption!! I say "IT IS TIME FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUITE"....

·
Registered
7 Posts
This useless feature is not only dangerous, but Subaru decided to put it in their vehicles without testing it to see if it actually worked.... What I mean is that most of the time when I stop at a light, after the engines shuts off, for some reason that I haven't been able to figure out, the car starts again even though I have not touched the steering wheel or move the brake petal at all.... I am trying very hard to help the car save as much gas as possible by not touching or moving anything so that the engine will continue off until the traffic conditions change and I can go, but the Subaru software behind this useless feature is so dumb that it starts the engine only a couple of seconds after it shuts off, for no apparent reason.... Clearly, the engineers at Subaru decided to put UNTESTED technology in their cars and now we are all paying for their stupidity, simply because they wanted to lie about their fuel consumption!! I say "IT IS TIME FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUITE"....
Climate system might be causing the restarting?

·
Premium Member
2020 Touring XT
625 Posts
it starts the engine only a couple of seconds after it shuts off, for no apparent reason
It's essentially forced on carmakers by the EPA, though I do agree it's annoying and jarring. I installed the AutoStop Eliminator a year ago so I never have to do anything......Auto Start Stop stays off permanently.

·
Registered
2021 Abyss Blue Onyx XT
14 Posts
I don't like it but can live it with it. I have been doing a lot of city driving lately so averaging about 25-30min of start/stop being engaged per fill up. I do wish the start stop was smoother. It seems rough compared to my wife's 2020 Honda Pilot which is very smooth. Honda seems to better implement it in their vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx Edition (black)
21 Posts
Let me just go ahead and ask you the first questions your class action attorney is going to ask: what's the basis of your knowledge of your claim that the auto start/stop technology is "untested"? And how is the fact that the engine sometimes starts back up without you having touched anything or moved (so you clairm) at all "dangerous" to you or anyone else?

I almost always disable it just because it annoys me, but there were a few times at first that I forgot, and as I recall, it seemed that there was very little movement required -- seemingly even just a slight lessening of the pressure of my foot on the brake pedal -- to get the engine to fire up again. If you think about it, the actual "dangerous" thing might be if you can't get the car moving as fast as you want to once it's time to move, so, yeah, if anything, I'm guessing car makers are going to err on the side of letting the car start back up too easily.

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Onyx XT
3,571 Posts
There's more than 100 pages of discussion (as well as the user manual) that goes into excrutiating detail on the intricacies of the auto start/stop system and conditions in which it starts the engine back up. I suggest you take some time to go over the manual. That should answer your questions.

Or pick up the eliminator for $100.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premium
48 Posts
From at least one state’s department of health and environmental control:

DO NOT turn off your engine in traffic or at stoplights, as this could be dangerous.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, 2013 Outback Limited 3.6R
605 Posts
I saw in a review (I think it was for the 2021) they dinged it a bit for auto-s/s, because of the "jarring motion" from the boxer restarting.
Weird, I rode twin-boxer BMW motorcycles for some years, and it was a BIG factor on the R-twin-boxers, because it would sort of rotate the entire bike, just a bit, when you give it a bunch of throttle. You adapt pretty quickly to it, but if you sit there and rev the bike, you can see (and feel it if seated) it, looking at it straight-on.
Odd that I didn't think to equate the two, given that I was one that mentioned/shored-up this part, in the giant early 2020 discussion thread about it (started early, and went on forever, I assume that's the 100+ pages you mention, @chvvkumar ?), I feel like a goofball on that count, oops. :rolleyes::oops:

The eliminator is nice, although if they'd had the s/w button on the front of the digital console, to start, I doubt I would've purchased it.

@Legacydan I think that's in reference to actually turning off the car, say via a key-ignition, if you read more about that DOH-EV document, wherever that is. Auto-S/S is a completely different deal, and has been pretty well-proven, despite being incredibly annoying in some cars (say those with a big boxer engine... ;)).

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
475 Posts
From at least one state’s department of health and environmental control:

DO NOT turn off your engine in traffic or at stoplights, as this could be dangerous.
Yeah in a normal car, sure. ASS is designed to start up and be ready by the time you get your foot off the brake and over to the go pedal.

·
Registered
MY20 Subaru Outback 2.5i SE Premium Lineartronic
39 Posts
Genuine question, is stop/start on any brand still fairly rare over there? Noting 119 pages commenting on it.

2361 - 2380 of 2385 Posts