Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!

How do you REALLY feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 130 11.3%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 205 17.9%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 278 24.3%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 533 46.5%
2381 - 2394 of 2394 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premium
93 Posts
I saw in a review (I think it was for the 2021) they dinged it a bit for auto-s/s, because of the "jarring motion" from the boxer restarting.
Weird, I rode twin-boxer BMW motorcycles for some years, and it was a BIG factor on the R-twin-boxers, because it would sort of rotate the entire bike, just a bit, when you give it a bunch of throttle. You adapt pretty quickly to it, but if you sit there and rev the bike, you can see (and feel it if seated) it, looking at it straight-on.
Odd that I didn't think to equate the two, given that I was one that mentioned/shored-up this part, in the giant early 2020 discussion thread about it (started early, and went on forever, I assume that's the 100+ pages you mention, @chvvkumar ?), I feel like a goofball on that count, oops. :rolleyes::oops:

The eliminator is nice, although if they'd had the s/w button on the front of the digital console, to start, I doubt I would've purchased it.

@Legacydan I think that's in reference to actually turning off the car, say via a key-ignition, if you read more about that DOH-EV document, wherever that is. Auto-S/S is a completely different deal, and has been pretty well-proven, despite being incredibly annoying in some cars (say those with a big boxer engine... ;)).
Pretty well proven to stop and start. Yes. I’ll agree with that statement.

Turning off the car (not what is referenced) vs. turning off the ignition are two different animals, and whether it’s done with 0s and 1s, or by turning a metal key back one notch to turn off the ignition electrical and associated fuel/air mixture systems, it’s all the same. It is basic electronics.

Believe whatever you will. ASS cuts off power from the battery to the ignition and fuel delivery. Otherwise the engine would not stop. Cutting off the ignition circuitry and stopping the engine from running, in whatever manner, whether keyed, electronic, or other means performs the same function. If it looks like manure, feels like manure, tastes and smells like manure, call it what you want. I aint stepping in it! 🤣

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
385 Posts
Genuine question, is stop/start on any brand still fairly rare over there? Noting 119 pages commenting on it.
Most new cars have it here. People could easily get used to it but most choose not to. Hence the overly long thread of complaints on pretty much any car forum. Noting that the Outback XT is the least smooth system I have driven and lacks a hardware button like the others I have been in (so it is at least a little worthy of the complaints).

·
Registered
MY20 Subaru Outback 2.5i SE Premium Lineartronic
48 Posts
Most new cars have it here. People could easily get used to it but most choose not to. Hence the overly long thread of complaints on pretty much any car forum. Noting that the Outback XT is the least smooth system I have driven and lacks a hardware button like the others I have been in (so it is at least a little worthy of the complaints).
This is a Gen 6 discussion and I have a Gen 5 so won't intrude too much but generally I find S/S to be a pain. However, on my Gen 5 it's the least obtrusive system I've ever come across. I don't really need to turn it off as I have on previous cars because it seems very much to depend on brake pedal pressure. Light on the brakes in traffic, no stop/start.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
513 Posts
Genuine question, is stop/start on any brand still fairly rare over there? Noting 119 pages commenting on it.
Nope, not rare in the US. Almost all brands have it. Although, I've read reports of some manufacturers shipping vehicles w/o it since the chip shortage. I've also read where at least one brand, Chevy, is shipping trucks w/o the 'feature' which disables cylinders on their V8 engines, again because of the chip shortage.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,389 Posts
Your federal government has caused the ASS to be installed our our cars. In the 80s it was the speedometer top speed on the dial was 85mph...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can the start stop be disabled? It seems the more times you start your engine the more chances it has to fail. In a matter of months this technology would be turning over your engine more than a normal engine would in 2 or 3 years. This leads to accelerated wear and tear on ignition coils and spark plugs. The car could be effectively dead before you even pay off your loan.
Plus, this is just another system that can become defective and require high repair costs and could potentially disable your car in the middle of traffic.
Individual emissions do not contribute nearly as much as commercial emissions. I hate how business-oriented governments are putting the blame on the individuals while they continue to pollute in excess and we have to bare the brunt of it by dealing with shitty technology...

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
513 Posts
Can the start stop be disabled? It seems the more times you start your engine the more chances it has to fail. In a matter of months this technology would be turning over your engine more than a normal engine would in 2 or 3 years. This leads to accelerated wear and tear on ignition coils and spark plugs. The car could be effectively dead before you even pay off your loan.
Plus, this is just another system that can become defective and require high repair costs and could potentially disable your car in the middle of traffic.
Individual emissions do not contribute nearly as much as commercial emissions. I hate how business-oriented governments are putting the blame on the individuals while they continue to pollute in excess and we have to bare the brunt of it by dealing with shitty technology...
Here's a whole thread about the auto stop/start which has posts about every possible good and bad features, including what you mentioned, except maybe the commercial emissions rant. There's a rant eliminating solution to address the auto stop/start feature.

·
Administrator
1,373 Posts
Posts 2386, 2387 moved here....

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
24 Posts
@lidksmy there's 150 pages to that forum so I'll skim through it.
Sorry for getting political. I just hate being inconvenienced because someone else is scapegoating me.
Eventhough, I haven't even test driven one of these I know the ASS system will piss me off pretty quickly. I just want to make sure I can disable it before I spent any money on a new car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow! Just looking at the poll, if almost 50% of you all hate it and a total of 70% don't like it in general, then I know I will absolutely despise the ASS system. I think that's enough research for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I find it a horrible waste of engineering effort with virtually no return on investment (other than the guy in the beginning of the thread who saved 6 gals over 5,900 miles of heavy city driving). You have to be at a dead stop for something like 2 hrs before you save a gallon of gas.

It wouldn't be so bad if the restarting wasn't such a jarring motion. I understand other vehicles are far smoother.

I've also come close to losing critical acceleration with that 1-second delay when turning into traffic from a stop. Someday this could injure a driver somewhere. When in doubt at a red light or before pulling into traffic, i'll wiggle the break pedal to restart it, just to be safe

Having said that, i make it into a game, doing the mental calculations as i drive to determine my savings and seeing whether i can save more than 1/10 of a gallon on a tank of gas (rarely if ever)

·
Registered
24 Posts
That seems like a dangerous game to play - almost getting into accidents and such. If you missed your morning coffee or just sleep deprived as I usually am while driving, it could be deadly.
To the guy who saved 6 gallons of gas in city traffic - dude, if traffic is not moving, turn off your car regardless of an equipped ASS system or not. It's senseless to keep your car running in those circumstances. Anytime I'm stuck in gridlock in Manhattan, Brooklyn, or backed up on 287 in NJ, I've always turned my engine off until I see traffic start to actually move.

·
Premium Member
2022 Grey Outback Premium
374 Posts
I have just at 6k miles on mine. The meter tells me I've saved over 6 gallons since I last set the trip (trip is maybe 500 miles behind odo right now).

The other thing I'm noticing is that now that it's cooler it's staying off thru entire light cycles, which is a much more noticeable difference.

As to the suggestion of manually stop/starting the car, that's less practical where I live as the manual start supposedly uses more fuel (maybe an ounce? who knows?), and it's slower to get me moving again which could be an issue.

2381 - 2394 of 2394 Posts