Subaru Outback Forums banner

How do you REALLY feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 86 13.3%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 119 18.4%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 156 24.2%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 284 44.0%

• Total voters
1461 - 1480 of 1525 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
One of our neighbors regularly forgets to turn his lights off on his car. He parks in front of our building, the auto stop-start kills the engine (stupid, stupid, stupid idea) thinks the car is off and that the lights will automatically go off. They don’t, so for the rest of the evening, until I knock on his door, his vehicle engine starts back up, then goes off again, then starts again. His may be a hybrid so what’s happening may be different than what would happen in other cars. But the implementation of this feature is ridiculous. I still believe a set or variable time period for the activation of the start/stop would be ideal. But stopping at stop signs and when parking is stupid.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring
80 Posts
Honestly, I absolutely hated that auto stop start feature. Then they had to bury the on off switch way down in the menu. Since summer is here I don’t think I will have an immediate need for the rear window defroster. So, shame on me, I pulled out Fuse 33 (to save wear & tear on the defrost and side mirror wiring) in the main engine compartment, set the defrost to always on, and simply use the defrost switch to disable the auto on off starting function. I live in the suburbs. Stop signs, traffic lights every block. If I dared cruise through one of those stop signs, that’ll be the one that gets me the ticket. For me, it’s quite comforting to see the AVH kick in. Maybe I will find I need the fuse this winter, I can simply pop it back in and leave the defrost set to always on. Then again, as a professional electrical engineer, I may find a work around:)
Thank you for the tip, fuse 33 , I am going to pull it out now. The start stop drives me crazy....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I share your thoughts exactly. Overall fit and finish, quality materials and excellent handling bring brought me to Subaru. I have had to do a soft reboot on the sound and the inconvenience of the start/stop can easily be tolerated. The plus"s far outweigh the minus factors with the Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
151 Posts
If you come to a stop with light pressure on the brakes, it will not engage ASS I've found. I can pretty much control when the ASS comes on or not simply by how I brake. If I know I'm gonna be stopped briefly, I use light pressure. If I am at a light that is 3 minutes long, I'll use more pressure to make ASS come on.

Something to try perhaps? I know you can't always control how much brake you need, but most times I can easily control it by how I come to a stop.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
259 Posts
I share your thoughts exactly.
As do I.

Overall build quality, durability, ride, wagon/suv styling are all great and what led to my decision to buy.

Infotainment system on the other hand... The touch screen is poorly designed and laid out. Using it while driving can be unsafe. The biggest issue is too much time spent with my attention taken away from the road. Heated seat controls in a sub-menu? No excuse Subaru. I take driving seriously and I should be able to adjust heated seats without taking my eyes off the road for any more than a quick glance. Same goes for fan speed, AC on/off, and airflow direction when I want to adjust these things manually. A bigger CarPlay screen would certainly make using nav safer. A quick glance at a large map is far safer than the time spent staring at a small one.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
259 Posts
If you come to a stop with light pressure on the brakes, it will not engage ASS I've found. I can pretty much control when the ASS comes on or not simply by how I brake. If I know I'm gonna be stopped briefly, I use light pressure. If I am at a light that is 3 minutes long, I'll use more pressure to make ASS come on.

Something to try perhaps? I know you can't always control how much brake you need, but most times I can easily control it by how I come to a stop.
I do the same and find it easy to control.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Infotainment system on the other hand...
I guess what makes it so infuriating is that the flaws with the vehicle could have, should have, been avoided. It's not a matter of us wanting something beyond the price range "where is the champagne cooler?" it's just wanting the head unit to work consistently. That's not much to ask, and not a necessary compromise to get Subaru's good stuff - the same good stuff that's in the Crosstrek, Forester, and Ascent, which have arguably a less pretty but more functional, more consistent and reliable infotainment.

Some people have a kind of growth spurt in adolescence that makes them clumsy. Subaru has been growing for a really long time and is trying to maintain quality but didn't succeed with the infotainment. It is Subaru's fault for not having fully tested the system, but my guess is that they let the supplier (denso) validate the system. It reminds me of the FAA letting Boeing certify their own stuff. The argument is that Subaru lacked the expertise to validate a complex electronic device, and Denso did. It's difficult to believe that Denso was unaware of this issue - it's not rare. It really should have showed up in testing. Subaru likewise surely tested finished cars and should have noticed this.

There are considerable pressures within organizations to let things move forward. If Subaru had delayed introduction of the Gen 6 outback to 2021 it would have come with a better system, but someone somewhere decided to green-light it.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
151 Posts
We can only hope that the Denso hardware itself is up to the task, and that some of the issues can/will be addressed with software updates. It's not like a bad transmission or engine design where you're kinda stuck with it. It all depends on how quickly Subaru can get a few updates out that addresses the warts, or if they do at all.

It would seem unlikely that Subaru will change the head unit hardware for 2021, so hopefully there will be forthcoming improvements to the software that we can get too.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
2 Posts
We've owned our 2020 Outback Limited for about a month and have developed a dislike for the automatic "stop/start" feature that came with the vehicle. Created as a means to save on fuel, we feel like Subaru's "new addition" to the 2020 Outback Limited was a mistake, and the only recourse we have is to perform a 3-step process (i.e; press ^, then +, then #) to turn the "stop/start" feature OFF every time we drive the vehicle. (it feels like we've paid for a premium (Limited edition) SUV, but actually bought a Subaru design-flaw in the process).
Is there an integral computer software update that can utilize a single dash touch-switch or even a toggle lever-switch below the driver's dash-surround ?

Of note: Having the motor stop at an "inconvenient instant" could cause a problem (i.e; You're stopped at a traffic light and the motor stops at exactly the same time as the light turns green; you falter and press the brake pedal instead of the gas pedal and the motor starts automatically, but your foot is still back on the brake pedal, and the momentary "lurch" of your Outback signals to the driver who's riding your bumper behind you, into you, and a collision), imo
Is there any hope for a "one-step" fix for our "three-step" problem?
I too despise the start/stop feature. It is very annoying - especially in traffic. It simply is not smooth enough. The vehicle shudders during restart making it uncomfortable for passengers. Adding insult to injury, I have been monitoring the fuel savings and it is so very minimal. So far I have yet to see one tenth of a gallon. I tried using the AVH feature to help smooth out restart and it does help a bit. But lack of real life thought again prevails - the AVH resets to “off“ at every engine shutdown. C’mon Subaru, please update the software and let stop/start remain off if I desire it to be off.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
2 Posts
Honestly, the fact that there even is a way to turn it off, albeit for just one trip at a time and several menus deep (prior to setting a shortcut), is "lucky" and I do not anticipate that any manufacturer is going to make things easier in mid-cycle refresh for this particular kind of thing. It's not in their overall interest to do so. If they make it so someone can disable it beyond a single trip, that changes the vehicle's status relative to fleet fuel economy regulations and measurement which can cost the manufacturer major shekels.
I have been tracking the fuel savings on a per tank basis and I doubt less than one-tenth gallon per tank will in any way affect fuel economy ratings. It is too insignificant. Remember, your actual mileage will vary! 😂

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback
17 Posts
Honestly, I absolutely hated that auto stop start feature didn’t even take me a week of driving with it. Then they had to bury the on off switch way down in the menu. Since summer is here I don’t think I will have an immediate need for the rear window defroster. So, shame on me, I pulled out Fuse 33 (to save wear & tear on the defrost and side mirror heater wiring) in the main engine compartment, set the defrost to always on, and simply use the rear defrost switch to disable the auto on off starting function. I live in the suburbs. Stop signs, traffic lights every block. If I dared cruise through one of those stop signs, that’ll be the one that gets me the ticket. For me, it’s quite comforting to see the AVH kick in. Maybe I will find I need the fuse this winter, I can simply pop it back in and leave the defrost set to always on. Then again, as a professional electrical engineer, I may find a work around:) (Manual cab mounted switch for temp enable of R.DEF relay?)
Fuse Box in Engine Compartment: 2020 Owner Manual Page 530, Fuse Panel 33 R.DEF

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Honestly, I absolutely hated that auto stop start feature didn’t even take me a week of driving with it. Then they had to bury the on off switch way down in the menu. Since summer is here I don’t think I will have an immediate need for the rear window defroster. So, shame on me, I pulled out Fuse 33 (to save wear & tear on the defrost and side mirror heater wiring) in the main engine compartment, set the defrost to always on, and simply use the rear defrost switch to disable the auto on off starting function. I live in the suburbs. Stop signs, traffic lights every block. If I dared cruise through one of those stop signs, that’ll be the one that gets me the ticket. For me, it’s quite comforting to see the AVH kick in. Maybe I will find I need the fuse this winter, I can simply pop it back in and leave the defrost set to always on. Then again, as a professional electrical engineer, I may find a work around:) (Manual cab mounted switch for temp enable of R.DEF relay?)
Fuse Box in Engine Compartment: 2020 Owner Manual Page 530, Fuse Panel 33 R.DEF
This might amuse you: You're the third electrical engineer on this board that has talked about devising a workaround. If you can pull off this task, you will be the hero.

So far nobody has divulged if they have succeeded in producing such a device for their own cars, but many of us non-electrical engineers are chomping at the bit for someone to either make plans available, or sell a kit, or a device we can install at our own risk. There has also been talk about looking at the source code, but nobody has been able to obtain it (that I know of).

We have been pulling fuses and relays to be able to use front and rear defrosters without using drain. In addition to the rear defrost fuse, I have pulled the two relays: Front wiper deicer, and mirror heater relay. There is also a rear defrogger relay, but I have left that in so that if I put the fuse back in, the defroster will work but not the wiper deicer and mirror heater (I'm in Hawaii). I also pulled the three PTC relays because I don't need electrical heaters for the HVAC.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah I am pretty sure Auto Start Stop is really about emissions control and not for fuel savings.
I was told (hearsay because I haven't seen documentation) that the reason why start/stop defaults to ON, is that if they don't default to ON with every ignition, the EPA mileage figures that were obtained using stop/start cannot be used, and worse figures would go on the sticker.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback
17 Posts
Hi SilverOnyx,
For me personally, I hated the HMI (Human Machine Interface) sub menu organization to select Auto S/S off. The rear window defrost (along with side mirrors) will require enough power from the battery so as to diminish its charge. I believe Subaru thought of that and didn’t want to see stranded motorists with “dead” batteries from using the Rear Defrost in the winter months.
Work arounds won’t be a piece of cake. I discarded notions of software modifications, I have written software for heavy industrial applications for better than 30 years. Just the part of the vehicle “software development” may be proprietary to Subaru making the possibility of running a copy impossible. Hard to explain but you develop “real time” application software on another computer running the real time application development software which in turn runs on computer using what only the almighty Subaru gurus know.
So the simplest work around was to set the Rear Defog in the HMI menu from 30 second default to Always On. Now hitting the cab mounted Rear Defog button will disable the auto s/s. But that left power going to the rear defrost and mirrors on. Rule of thumb guess but with a 25 amp fuse (F33), typical draw might be 10 amps. But 10 amp @ 12 volt = 120 watts. Not much but what parent hasn’t scolded their kids for leaving a typical 60 watt reading lamp on? Wasted electric is equivalent to wasted fuel. So I pulled the fuse.
If I can find a way to wirelessly open my basement mounted air compressor valve to my garage mounted hose reel, there should be something or way to get around this issue.

Cheers, must be nice in Hawaii, I envy you a tad.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback
17 Posts
This might amuse you: You're the third electrical engineer on this board that has talked about devising a workaround. If you can pull off this task, you will be the hero.

So far nobody has divulged if they have succeeded in producing such a device for their own cars, but many of us non-electrical engineers are chomping at the bit for someone to either make plans available, or sell a kit, or a device we can install at our own risk. There has also been talk about looking at the source code, but nobody has been able to obtain it (that I know of).

We have been pulling fuses and relays to be able to use front and rear defrosters without using drain. In addition to the rear defrost fuse, I have pulled the two relays: Front wiper deicer, and mirror heater relay. There is also a rear defrogger relay, but I have left that in so that if I put the fuse back in, the defroster will work but not the wiper deicer and mirror heater (I'm in Hawaii). I also pulled the three PTC relays because I don't need electrical heaters for the HVAC.

View attachment 484482
And I forgot to mention to give you a very big and warm thank you for the diagram and everything you have done to your vehicle to suit your climate. I found that most interesting, and indeed extremely helpful. Once again, my very sincere best wishes and warmest regards.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback
17 Posts
Hmmm🤔, 5,000 miles for me would be maybe an extra 1,600 to 2,000 Stop/Start cycles for saving up to a gallon of gas (currently here ~$1.85/gallon) plus the aggravation? I am going to think on that for a while. Ok, done thinking 🤯

1461 - 1480 of 1525 Posts