Subaru Outback Forums banner

How do you REALLY feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 90 12.8%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 133 18.9%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 174 24.8%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 305 43.4%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 1603 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
No need to thank the auto makers. Thank .gov and their insane CAFE mpg requirements.

The entire S/S reminds takes me back to the mid 1970's, prior to mandatory seat belt laws, where auto makers were adding "features" to force drivers to be belted. All manner of folks coming up with ways to defeat those systems. .gov stepped in and said no problem. Told .states that if they wanted federal highway dollars they needed mandatory seat belt laws.

Something similar will happen with S/S. All vehicles will eventually come equipped with it, and like the Cadillac XT5 I recently rented, there will be no override.

Which I have no issue. Have driven multiple vehicles with the feature and found no problems.

No understanding on my part as to why some want to make it a first world problem.
It’s because the comparison between seatbelts and start/stop isn’t valid. A seatbelt law was enacted to mandate seatbelt use. There were options on how the seatbelt operated, but a seatbelt was required, period.

CAFE requires makers to meet mpg and emissions requirements for their fleets overall, and does not mandate how they will achieve those requirements. Despite your misleading post(s), auto start/stop is not mandated by the feds.

Again, it’s NOT mandated by the feds. The auto makers, at least some of them, have decided to use Auto S/S as part of their efforts to meet the standards. Others produce hybrids or small, efficient vehicles or use weight reduction, etc to achieve the fleet goals without start/stop, or by using it on only some vehicles.

For a lot of owners, default start stop is obnoxious, and they see it as a decision adopted at their expense because the automakers take the easiest and cheapest way out rather than newer technology.

What isn’t a “first world problem”? Faulty media head units? Uncomfortable seats lacking electric controls? Effective safety tech like Eyesight? Manual transmissions vs. the CVT? Auto dual air conditioning?
Touch screen navigation units? Hands free phone systems?

All of it needs to improve driving quality, safety, and enjoyment, or it isn’t an improvement. Just an imposition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
It’s because the comparison between seatbelts and start/stop isn’t valid. A seatbelt law was enacted to mandate seatbelt use. There were options on how the seatbelt operated, but a seatbelt was required, period.

CAFE requires makers to meet mpg and emissions requirements for their fleets overall, and does not mandate how they will achieve those requirements. Despite your misleading post(s), auto start/stop is not mandated by the feds.
I did not say S/S is mandated by the feds.......I said look for it to become mandated some day.

Seat belt laws were only enacted after the feds threatened hold back federal highway dollars if they did not enact such laws.

Similar things will happen when auto makers fail to attain the required CAFE standards.

Many think seat belts are obnoxious but they are a part of the driving experience as will S/S one day.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (me) 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited with EyeSight (Spouse's Vehicle) 2011 Outback 2.5i Limited (daughter's ride)
457 Posts
Again, it’s NOT mandated by the feds. The auto makers, at least some of them, have decided to use Auto S/S as part of their efforts to meet the standards
However, my understanding is that there are incentives relative to fleet milage when the vehicle manufacturer makes it so that turning SS off is "one time" or not available relative to how fleet mileage is calculated for the CAFE standards. If it can be disabled "full time" by manufacturer design, I'm told that the calculation is not as favorable to the vehicle manufacturer.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,762 Posts
Again, it’s NOT mandated by the feds. The auto makers, at least some of them, have decided to use Auto S/S as part of their efforts to meet the standards. Others produce hybrids or small, efficient vehicles or use weight reduction, etc to achieve the fleet goals without start/stop, or by using it on only some vehicles.
Related issue, I was recently checking out the Nissan Juke with plenty of power for that small car (188-215 hp). That little car must be super fun to drive. Unfortunately, the Juke got discontinued in 2017. The Juke’s replacement is the Nissan Kicks with 122 hp. I am guessing CAFE standards caused the Juke to vanish.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,339 Posts
But as many have indicated, there is nothing precluding the manufacturer to make the disabling as easy as the push of one button... or if Subaru was hip, the press of the voice button and the verbal command to turn it off...

I say keep complaining - write Subaru if it bothers you. They SHOULD listen to the voice of the customer. I wager they didn't even ask a group of owners or potential owners in a focus group if it would be desirable to turn the function off, and if so, how they'd like it done.

Not all S/S is created equal based on my renting experience. Some of it is almost not noticeable, while some of it is quite obnoxious.

·
Registered
On Order: '20 OB Touring XT, In Garage: 1960 Bug-Eye Sprite
36 Posts
However, my understanding is that there are incentives relative to fleet milage when the vehicle manufacturer makes it so that turning SS off is "one time" or not available relative to how fleet mileage is calculated for the CAFE standards. If it can be disabled "full time" by manufacturer design, I'm told that the calculation is not as favorable to the vehicle manufacturer.
I'm pretty sure its this. Auto S/S adds some fraction of a mpg to the calculation of overall fuel economy (whether it really matters or not, its part of the calculation). Since everyone is chasing mpg ratings, they put it in there. Blame yourselves for caring about the window sticker fuel economy.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
But as many have indicated, there is nothing precluding the manufacturer to make the disabling as easy as the push of one button.
Are you certain about that? It seems like an “optional” stop-start would not satisfy CAFE requirements. Right now, the disable button is sufficiently imbedded in the head unit such that it is probably not considered optional. I am just throwing that out there. Somebody who is more motivated than me can get a definitive answer.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm pretty sure its this. Auto S/S adds some fraction of a mpg to the calculation of overall fuel economy (whether it really matters or not, its part of the calculation). Since everyone is chasing mpg ratings, they put it in there. Blame yourselves for caring about the window sticker fuel economy.
Correct, it's more in the way that the calculation is done in crediting the average.

From a Car and Driver article:

Automakers get incentives to do it this way from the Environmental Protection Agency. If the vehicle’s stop/start system is nonlatching and automatically turns on whenever you start the car, the EPA’s fuel-economy test results will be calculated only when the system is engaged. But if a vehicle’s stop/start system can be permanently turned off, then the vehicle’s fuel economy is tested both when stop/start is active and when it’s off. The EPA then averages the two tests for a resulting fuel-economy rating found on the car’s window sticker—which is certain to be lower.

Since stop/start is estimated to boost fuel economy by 4 to 5 percent using the EPA test cycle, according to Buick, obviously it has a positive effect on the fuel-economy rating. Carmakers who have nonlatching stop/start systems also qualify for additional “off cycle” emissions credits from the EPA, and those can be applied to meet their overall targets for Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards...

“EPA regulations incentivize the use of [stop/start] technology because it has on-road fuel economy and greenhouse-gas benefits not fully captured on EPA’s fuel-economy tests,” a Ford spokesman said in an email. “In order to qualify for the incentives, [it] must be the predominant operating mode for the vehicle, such that the driver cannot permanently disable it.”
In other news, I looked today for the hood switch but don't see an obvious one. Must be there somewhere. How does Subaru generally do theirs?

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,339 Posts
Are you certain about that? It seems like an “optional” stop-start would not satisfy CAFE requirements. Right now, the disable button is sufficiently imbedded in the head unit such that it is probably not considered optional. I am just throwing that out there. Somebody who is more motivated than me can get a definitive answer.
Other manufacturers provide a more immediate 1-button disable. I believe the requirement was for the function to default to ON each start cycle.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Other manufacturers provide a more immediate 1-button disable. I believe the requirement was for the function to default to ON each start cycle.
A hardware button is more expensive than software centralized in the head unit with other software. Recall, Subaru put a 13W halogen bulb (instead of an LED) in the Gen 5 cargo dome in order to save a few cents. So, nothing is off limits to save money.

Folks are really begging for the Outback to be in the $40k range. Just do it, Subaru.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,099 Posts
I heard the stop-start is seamless.
"seamless" is a matter of opinion, and clearly, we all have very differing ones.

"seamless" would imply that you dont even notice its happening.
If it is anything like the 2019 Forester, "seamless" is not even a word I would come close to.

What I don't get is that people who dont seem to mind S/S, seem to act like there's something wrong with those of us that do. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion - but we all have our own experiences.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Its the CAFE rule for all auto manufacturers now...just get used to it. If you are going into gridlock or for any other reason, just hit the car icon--others---stop/start; takes all of 3 seconds. No biggie. The way my wife drives my 2020 Touring...it rarely ever hits S/S unless she is caught at a quick yellow light. Its a 2 stage brake...if you don't tailgate, learn to hyper mile and is easy to use stage one brake and come to a complete no S/S plus your brake pucks will last almost forever and your gas mileage will improve exponentially! It's the rule and we all have to get used to it. It's not like the Alamo "Freedom or death", thank goodness!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
"seamless" is a matter of opinion, and clearly, we all have very differing ones.

"seamless" would imply that you dont even notice its happening.
If it is anything like the 2019 Forester, "seamless" is not even a word I would come close to.

What I don't get is that people who dont seem to mind S/S, seem to act like there's something wrong with those of us that do. Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion - but we all have our own experiences.
Hey, I am just doing my best to remain a Subaru customer. I don't have S/S and really don't want it. The two main things I must have on my Outback are the AWD and the hatchback. I am doing everything I can to like all the added doo-dads, but Subaru is walking on thin ice.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Premium
148 Posts
Doesn't the rear defrost auto shutoff after a certain time? Would be silly of it did not. The front defrost should be maintain, but the rear is normally timed.
You can set the rear defog to continuous in the vehicle settings menu in the speedometer display.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,099 Posts
Hey, I am just doing my best to remain a Subaru customer. I don't have S/S and really don't want it. The two main things I must have on my Outback are the AWD and the hatchback. I am doing everything I can to like all the added doo-dads, but Subaru is walking on thin ice.
Im realizing my post came off as sorta harsh - it wasn't intended. ;)

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Why do you feel obligated to remain a Subaru customer? Plenty of nice or nicer AWD hatchback's in the marketplace.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Why do you feel obligated to remain a Subaru customer?
I already said why in my post you quoted. Also, the Outback's faults are well known to me after spending many hours on this site. It would take me a long time to ramp up with another brand.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,162 Posts
In Australia our (JDM) XV's have the disable button on the dash down near the steering column. It is easy to find and push when stopped at the lights.

141 - 160 of 1603 Posts