Subaru Outback Forums banner

How do you REALLY feel about the Start/Stop System?

• It is great, I love it!

Votes: 91 12.8%
  • I don't care, indifferent.

Votes: 134 18.9%
  • I don't like it but I can live with it.

Votes: 175 24.6%
  • I hate it, I wish I could disable it permanently.

Votes: 310 43.7%

• Total voters
161 - 180 of 1611 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
S/S is a wonderful safety feature, as it encourages people to roll through stop signs. :LOL:
BINGO, but it is what it is and can't do anything about it except "car icon--others--stop/start" or a light brake foot. Just don't get caught rolling through! Retired L/E here.:censored:

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,628 Posts
If you are going into gridlock or for any other reason, just hit the car icon--others---stop/start; takes all of 3 seconds. No biggie. ave to get used to it. It's not like the Alamo "Freedom or death", thank goodness!
If I'm way in the back at a stoplight and all the cars in front of me have S/S those 3 seconds are going to add up.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
If I'm way in the back at a stoplight and all the cars in front of me eave S/S those 3 seconds are going to add up.
The engine starts as soon as you take your foot off the brake. It is a blink of the eye, not 3 seconds. By the time your foot moves to the accelerator, the engine is running.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,335 Posts
So yesterday I came back from a 3k mile trip in a rental Durango GT that had S/S. I drove in peak commute traffic in downtown ATL and my observations are as follows:

1. Freeway driving, doesn't even matter
2. Stop and go traffic, you learn to anticipate whether you want the engine to stop and brake accordingly. In heavy traffic you are slowing frequently enough that an extra half second it takes for the engine to start does not matter in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
So yesterday I came back from a 3k mile trip in a rental Durango GT that had S/S. I drove in peak commute traffic in downtown ATL and my observations are as follows:

1. Freeway driving, doesn't even matter
2. Stop and go traffic, you learn to anticipate whether you want the engine to stop and brake accordingly. In heavy traffic you are slowing frequently enough that an extra half second it takes for the engine to start does not matter in the grand scheme of things.
What were your impressions of the Durango?

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,346 Posts
Question: how do the manufacturers prevent repetitive "rich re-starts"? I thought that in a properly operating system - you would avoid running rich (MAF and O2 sensors doing their thing), but starts might be rich.

Upon engine start, how do we know the unit isn't dumping in more fuel that is necessary and over and over again on each S/S cycle?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Question: how do the manufacturers prevent repetitive "rich re-starts"? I thought that in a properly operating system - you would avoid running rich (MAF and O2 sensors doing their thing), but starts might be rich.

Upon engine start, how do we know the unit isn't dumping in more fuel that is necessary and over and over again on each S/S cycle?
I would guess the software is monitoring the O2 temp. Same way it knows to slow down the idle after they warm up.

I'm sure the software isn't dumping raw fuel on each start.....sort of defeats the purpose of S/S.

Some of you are way overthinking S/S.

Reactions: XTKU

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,335 Posts
What were your impressions of the Durango?
The positives:
The engine was good for the size of the vehicle. The space was amazing once you fold down the seats. The car drives well for it's size but you can feel the size and mass of it. The suspension was perfect for my use as there was no significant body roll. I drove it as aggressive as I drive my own Impreza through the same roads and I did not have had to slow down much.

Now for the negatives:
The infotainment screen is tiny. It is almost lost in a sea of plastic of the dashboard. Android auto was difficult to to use due to how small the screen was and how far away it was from the driver. The dashboard area felt cheap and the plastic was meh. Especially compared to the 2020 Outback. The center cluster that is between the gauges was not efficiently laid out and was not that customizable. The digital speedo, while large, was surprisingly difficult to read at a glance as did the other counters (for mileage, range, trip computer etc.).

The button placement was bad on the control stack in the center. I would constantly hit the mute or display off buttons while using the touch screen. The buttons are right where you brace your hand while using the screen. Speaking of the buttons, the key fob is nigh impossible to use without looking at it or in darkness. The buttons are all flat and without tactile demarcation between the buttons.

Weird stuff:
It took me an hour to figure out where the media controls were on the steering wheel. They are behind the steering wheel and the lay out was a mess. If you are right handed, the most frequently used control which is the volume control, is on the right side. The track change buttons are on the left. Most times, my right hand is busy while driving (holding bottles etc.) while my left is relatively free.

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,346 Posts
That's weird. They probably got the infotainment system at a hefty discount.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,296 Posts
A hardware button is more expensive than software centralized in the head unit with other software. Recall, Subaru put a 13W halogen bulb (instead of an LED) in the Gen 5 cargo dome in order to save a few cents. So, nothing is off limits to save money.

Folks are really begging for the Outback to be in the $40k range. Just do it, Subaru.
Based upon having a Forester myself, on an individual basis, you're looking at maybe 3 gallons per year saved total. As a consumer, I don't care about that - that's an extra $6.50 for me. (Thank you, Oklahoma gas prices!) On a FLEET basis, though, that's roughly 500,000 gallons per year saved from the 2019 Forester alone. Now add in the 2020 Outback and 2020 Forester, that's 1.5 MILLION gallons per year saved. when the 2021's come out, that's 2.5 million gallons saved that year, 4.5 million total.

And yeah, saving 10 cents per car on a part means saving $20,000 per year. We used to get awards at the plant for saving even a few dollars in production costs. I got three of them for ideas that saved about $50,000 per year total. I know there was a guy who figured out how to save them nearly $500,000 per year, just with one simply change in process. It adds up.

Oh, and we're there - the Touring XT has an MSRP of $40,705.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,107 Posts
just saw these buttons in a review of the Touring XT - on the very left side of the dash by the door.
That right unused button has Star/Stop disable written all over it. haha

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,764 Posts
just saw these buttons in a review of the Touring XT - on the very left side of the dash by the door.
That right unused button has Star/Stop disable written all over it. haha
I see the writing too. lol

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited XT Abyss Blue Pearl, Gray Leather Interior
54 Posts
You can add a shortcut to the main screen that shortens the effort to two touches of the screen. I did it the other day at the dealership with the sales guy to see if it could be done. It's better than going three menus deep.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The only time this has been noticeable in the past few days has been in parking lots or on the off stoplight where you come to a complete stop only for an instant. I think there should be another full second or two built in the delay logic. When you have to start back up immediately there is a slight shudder in the car (2020 XT). Other than those few times that's happened in the past few days there you don't notice this feature is even present.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,107 Posts
The only time this has been noticeable in the past few days has been in parking lots or on the off stoplight where you come to a complete stop only for an instant. I think there should be another full second or two built in the delay logic. When you have to start back up immediately there is a slight shudder in the car (2020 XT). Other than those few times that's happened in the past few days there you don't notice this feature is even present.
this why these systems are horrible to experience in a stop and go hour long traffic situation like many LA commutes - city streets and freeways both.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bought a 2020 outback xt , great car but does any body know how to turn off auto/start/stop without manually doing it everytime you start the car ?

161 - 180 of 1611 Posts