Subaru Outback Forums banner

Would you buy your 2020 OB again?

• Yes, I would by the same model

Votes: 249 72.6%
  • Yes, but I would buy a higher model or trim level

Votes: 35 10.2%
  • Yes, but I would buy a lower model or trim level

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • No, I would not buy a 2020 Outback again.

Votes: 55 16.0%
181 - 200 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
115 Posts
Yes and no. Ive been eyeing the Ford Super Duty Tremor... not really the same class of vehicle at all, but would compliment my outback well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's been 8 months since someone last weighed in. What are people thinking after more time and the software update? I don't think 2021 changed at all so 21 owners could chime in as well. It's a very helpful thread for those of us considering an Outback purchase

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
36 Posts
It's been 8 months since someone last weighed in. What are people thinking after more time and the software update? I don't think 2021 changed at all so 21 owners could chime in as well. It's a very helpful thread for those of us considering an Outback purchase
I sold mine after just shy of a year. I didn't lose much money, and I actually saved much more on a barely used xc40 and we're far happier. My parents have a 20 limited and they love it, so ymmv. For me, ultimately, the driving experience wasn't worth the price of admission. Between the abysmal infotainment and the throttle mapping on the turbo CVT, I feel like Subaru bit off a little more than they could chew.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
413 Posts
2020 Premium 2.5 here. Overall happy, and would do it again. The minor nitpicks I have are touchscreen related and small enough that I feel I‘d have something similar if I were to buy something else anyways.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Have a 2020 Touring 2.5 (Premier in US). Really happy with it and with mods like AutoStopEliminator, the CarPlay full screen, 60d transmount insert (and soon to be installed Group N Pitch Stop) rear overload springs - it’s got all the performance I need and is fun to drive. Look forward to many years of enjoyment😎. ....... and the next upgrade ........ likely a Nameless tower brace ....... hmmmmm😁!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
30 Posts
After 1.5 years of owning OB Premium I still hate the touch screen HVAC and heated seats controls. Even S/S doesn't bother me that much, actually came to liking saving gas/environment. But taking eyes off the road to change the direction of the airflow or to turn on/off the heated seats makes me mad. It is simlilar to texting

·
Registered
20 Outback Ltd XT
255 Posts
I'm in-between 'Yes, but buy lower' trim and "No, not again'. I'm not happy with the turbo except for the hp but otherwise it's unrefined and inefficient and know I won't keep it more than a year at best. If I had bought the na 2.5 I suspect I'd be much more pleased.

things that would add to decision to not buy at all again:
  • Getting to controls quickly too cumbersome and dangerous. Give me back a few knobs and switches. Thought I would adapt but not finding it instinctual.
  • Driver recognition works maybe 50% of the time. Not ready for prime time.
  • Same goes for rear hatch open sensor. I just press the danged button.
  • Not enough storage in console/stack for phone, gloves, McGriddle, etc.
  • The silly place they put the USB ports. Engineer that designed these must've have child-size hands.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited XT
18 Posts
My wife had to drop her van off at honda for an oil change and they gave her a CRV to drive as a loaner while they worked on it. I drove it briefly and man, it made my miss my Outback. Just the ride quality, interior feel, everything was worse in that Honda CRV. So Yes, I would buy my Outback again. My only concern is fitting 3 kids in the back seat and I am right at the cusp between my younger kids needing car seats/boosters, and then the oldest getting too big to fit in between the car seats. I think 3 adults would fit in the back seat better than 2 car seats and 1 older kid.
Everything else about the Outback is perfect for my needs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm selling both my Subaru's to a national car dealer this week...both are leased, with more than a year to go and both worth more than the residual.

So I need to get new cars...I'm probably going to get a Forester Sport (have a Limited)...just for the the change of pace. There is virtually no difference except a heated steering wheel and dual climate, both of which I rarely use here in LA.

As for my Outback (XT LTD), I'm probably going to step down to the regular engine. I find the XT engine unbalanced for most city driving (I live in LA), and don't feel very confident in the handling of the car with that power. Test drove the smaller engine yesterday, and frankly didn't see much of a difference...neither is a Ferrari!

·
Registered
2021 Outback Limited
1,533 Posts
I have a white 2021 Limited. I'd absolutely buy it again. The only thing I might change is the color for some variety, but overall I'm a happy camper.

Biggest nitpick is the sunglass holder should have some felt or rubber to prevent the glasses rattling. Would like full screen android auto.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was in between buying the same model and getting something else. I have a 2 month old 2021 Outback Onyx that I absolutely love. It has everything that I wanted and nothing that I didn't (e.g. Driver Focus and Driver Recognition, etc). I'm going to be installing a 2" LP Aventure lift kit and LP1 wheels with KO2 tires here in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to make the car that I love even more amazing and capable.

If money were no concern, I'd consider going with the larger Ascent and adding the same lift/wheel/tire combo. I have 2 teenage boys and when it's just the 3 of us, we have plenty of room in the Outback. But, when they're both bringing a friend (or 2), we quickly run out of room. Admittedly, this is a rare occurrence. So, I'll stick with my Outback Onyx indefinitely. And that's how I cast my vote.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey V4 cyl
341 Posts
I was in between buying the same model and getting something else. I have a 2 month old 2021 Outback Onyx that I absolutely love. It has everything that I wanted and nothing that I didn't (e.g. Driver Focus and Driver Recognition, etc). I'm going to be installing a 2" LP Aventure lift kit and LP1 wheels with KO2 tires here in the next couple of weeks. I can't wait to make the car that I love even more amazing and capable.

If money were no concern, I'd consider going with the larger Ascent and adding the same lift/wheel/tire combo. I have 2 teenage boys and when it's just the 3 of us, we have plenty of room in the Outback. But, when they're both bringing a friend (or 2), we quickly run out of room. Admittedly, this is a rare occurrence. So, I'll stick with my Outback Onyx indefinitely. And that's how I cast my vote.
That's what you have the roof rack for. Luggage and personal stuff go inside the vehicle. :D

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
412 Posts
I would buy again, I do use the paddle "shifters" in town from time to time to hold in better RPM/Boost level for performance ... but I will say this tank which had NO highway driving, as it was all short drives, drive thrus and to the stores. Overall still very pleased with my Limited XT with the mods I have done so far.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Onyx XT, Abyss Blue Pearl
22 Posts
I would probably not buy my Onyx again. My main concern has been the stiff ride quality, and the road noise. Both of these are pretty controversial topics here, many would swear the ride quality is amazing, and that the interior noise is not a problem, but again, it probably affects us all differently based on what we owned prior to this car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
380 Posts
I like my '19 Premium, and normally would trade it in on a 2022. Two things may keep me with my '19: Stop/start, although the '22 may have a simple "off" icon on the screen. The color choices. I LOVE my Tungsten, but they no longer offer it. Color is very important to me, and I don't want the current choices. So I may just keep my "no stop/start" Tungsten Outback.

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT in Crystal White Pearl
275 Posts
I see you are in PA as is my daughter. Isn't it a law there that one of your vehicles has to be a Subaru, just like in Colorado?:p

·
Registered
2021 outback limited, Autumn Green
54 Posts
After having my 21 limited for five months now. I love the car. I would have kind of liked to have the XT but I'm fine with the 2.5, and I saved 4K. Plus a little in MPG. It seems as the auto stop/start is an issue with many owners, but since the software change that added the one touch button on the home screen, its not really an issue for me. I like the added depth of cargo space in the rear compared to the Forester I had. Its not a lot in inches, but it seems like a big difference. the Forester has close to equal Cu.Ft. of space, but never once have I needed the extra space in height. the extra depth in the OB is nice to have. I really like the operation of the adaptive cruise control also. I think it works very well. I could have probably done without the lane assist. Most likely won't use it much. May be of some benefit on a freeway. Subarus have always been good cars for me, and I see no reason to change. I just think Subaru's are a really good value for the money spent. I think their AWD system is second to none. This is my 5th Subaru I have owned, and I have been happy with every one of them.

I'm from Pa also, and yes the number of Subaru's on the road here has increased tremendously over the last 5 years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
A year and a half on my '20 Onyx XT and no regrets from me. I got the turbo to be able to tow a travel trailer, but the extra power is really fun. Closest thing to a sports car with 9" of ground clearance (at least at anything close to the price). Seats are really comfortable, it's a great road-trip car. I do wish the HVAC controls weren't integrated into the touch screen, but it's not a huge deal. There's nothing else I'd rather have at this point.

·
Registered
2020 Defender
349 Posts
I would motion that a fifth option be added to the poll that reads, "No, I already sold mine." Would be interesting to see how that 15% breaks down even further.

cc: @thesheesh

·
Registered
'21 Onyx Ice Metallic Silver
85 Posts
I absolutely would buy my Onyx all over again. It's been a fun 3 months and 7700 miles already, and I haven't even done a proper roadtrip in it yet. I'll be taking off for most of May so we'll see how she goes. Really the only thing I wish it had is a heated steering wheel option. Other than that, love the Startex, as it's been holding up great to the beach, snow, and camping grit. Gas mileage could be better, but then again, I'm far from conservative in my driving. It's just too darn fun.

Having said that, I would be curious about the 2.5 Limited, just for the other options and better gas mileage. Still, no regrets.

181 - 200 of 244 Posts