Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Would you buy your 2020 OB again?

• Yes, I would by the same model

Votes: 255 72.4%
  • Yes, but I would buy a higher model or trim level

Votes: 37 10.5%
  • Yes, but I would buy a lower model or trim level

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • No, I would not buy a 2020 Outback again.

Votes: 56 15.9%
221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
981 Posts
I agree with what you are saying, but I am also sure that new battery technology resulting in 500+ mile ranges won't be affordable before say 10-15 years, maybe even 20. Note that I used the word "affordable" - I am sure we'll see 500 mile + range EVs before then, but at a stiff premium.
In the meantime, ICEs won't suddenly disappear, and gas stations won't either. That's why I think that hybrid technology, and especially PHEV makes sense for the time being, and for new purchases right now.
At 40-50 mile ranges in EV (electric only) mode, a plug-in hybrid can cover most people's daily drives needs while eliminating range anxiety. I am expecting that 80% of our driving with the R4P will be in electric mode, cutting our annual fuel costs by more than half at current prices, and even better if/when gas prices go up.
Add the 300hp fun factor and a price that's barely higher than our Outback Premiums, I think it makes sense for us, and for right now.
I think you’d be surprised. Hyundai/Kia are nearly there with their current gen tech (which is priced reasonably), and prices keep plummeting with performance increasing. The first generation leaf only came out 10 years ago, was one of the top evs, and had 75 miles of range. Nowadays that would get laughed at. The constraint I’d be worried about is getting the physical materials in the batteries.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
Does the Model Y have the same utility as an Outback? This isn't a rhetorical question - I don't know.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
981 Posts
Does the Model Y have the same utility as an Outback? This isn't a rhetorical question - I don't know.
My best friend has one- interior utility, yes, absolutely. Capability goes to the outback. Build quality goes to the outback.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
I know some people hate Tesla but one has to admit that they have changed the landscape. I'd think about a CyberTruck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
2 reasons why I picked the outback over the Tesla 1 was the suspension 2 was the insurance
The outback is a long station wagon it's bigger than my old minivan and carries nothing compared to it it's a very heavy vehicle also

I'll have to try the new Y I've spoken to someone that just bought the 2021 and it's completely refreshed

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,082 Posts
Seems like Tesla struggles in service and repair? I know it's a problem in my area.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Premium / 2020 2.5i Premium
2,620 Posts
Prime is still “new” so wasn’t on my radar. Would like to see it demonstrated over a couple years before it goes on the list. Some weird quirks with the climate system. There’s a YT channel by James Klafein or something like that and he’s excellent and thorough. Not personally a fan of the R4 design on the general whole, so waiting impatiently for the Outback Hybrid or PHEV. I did enjoy my couple years with my Forester so I would remain in brand with a Forester PHEV if there was no Outback option.

@stillearning - 40 miles of all electric range is a lot. 20 is probably more reasonable to keep costs down. Most drivers drive less than 35 miles per day. Over long term, employers will have chargers at their parking lot if they don’t today. They will be common. So even a 15-20 mile one way is sufficient energy if you’re driving through suburbia or urban settings where you’re also braking which recovers energy as well.

Hopefully they can figure out a way to make 70 the top speed with all EV instead of 65, since the highways here are 65!
The R4P is advertised at 42 miles of electric range, and people report up to 50 miles under the right conditions.

Haven't heard of climate system quirks, do you have a link for more info on that?
While the Prime is new, it shares design, parts and systems with the regular and hybrid Rav4, which are not in the first model year.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I voted I would by the same trim again. Been mostly happy with the Touring XT. If the Onyx XT had a cloth interior I would have purchased instead. Non-vented vinyl or leather is too hot.

Minor nitpicks:
  • AUTOMATIC BRAKE HOLD BUTTON NEEDS TO BE ON THE MAIN SCREEN. There's even space for it to the right of the home button!
  • The driver recognition is worthless when wearing a facemask (and sometimes even sunglasses and/or a hat). I wish there was a quick way to select the driver profile with a button.
  • Speaking of driver recognition, why can't the car remember the radio station I was tuned to and my heated/vented seat settings? Instead every time after my wife drives, I have to turn off the country music and heated seats. Surely a few lines of code could fix this!
  • Also, why does the heated seat setting persist between ignition cycles but the heated steering wheel does not?
  • The touchless rear hatch release only works 50% of the time (yes I understand how to operate it). This has easily been the least reliable system of the many vehicles I've owned with this feature. I am bringing it up with the dealer at the next service.
  • The auto seat retract when unlocking doesn't work reliably either. Sometimes it retracts the seat from my normal saved seating position, other times it doesn't. There should be a setting to automatically retract the driver's seat when getting out rather when unlocking the car.
  • Auto Steering is half-baked at best. It is barely okay during the most ideal conditions (straight road with clear lane markings and no wind) but is still likely to start ping-ponging before giving up. At least there is a hard button to turn it off!

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
538 Posts
Get rid of the all touch screen. And more center stack and console storage. All touch screen isn't as safe or utilitarian as Subaru's reputation. At the VERY least make the HVAC controls actually buttons and knobs. I mean if the bottom of the screen is always used up for HAVC, just cut off the bottom of the screen. And put physical controls. Also a physical button for auto start/stop.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The R4P is advertised at 42 miles of electric range, and people report up to 50 miles under the right conditions.

Haven't heard of climate system quirks, do you have a link for more info on that?
While the Prime is new, it shares design, parts and systems with the regular and hybrid Rav4, which are not in the first model year.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Are you serious?
The guy complains that when outside temps are below 20F, the heat pump doesn't work, and that the car has to be heated using the IC engine. That's silly, heat pumps don't work well at very low temperatures, I thought that was generally known.
I would not call this a flaw. He could have pre-heated the cabin by plugging the car into the outlet and programming it to use external power to heat, or just use the combustion engine.
This is just weird.
I believe Tesla uses resistive heating, bypassing the heat pump in cases like that (extremely low temps), but that's significantly impacting range. The Rav4 battery just isn't big enough for resistive heating, so you'll have to use the combustion engine. Luckily, temps like that happen where I live about 0 times per year. :)

LoL, no, that's not a flaw or quirk in my book.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If not, what would you change?
Yes except this time ti would the 22' wilderness which is what my 2020 Onxy should have been! eerrggghhh SUBARU!!!!!! in hindsight the only I need to wait and see is can I get the regearing they added as I already have the suspension and wheels, dont care for the roof rack for rooftop tent

·
Registered
20 Outback Ltd XT
260 Posts
Get rid of the all touch screen. And more center stack and console storage. All touch screen isn't as safe or utilitarian as Subaru's reputation. At the VERY least make the HVAC controls actually buttons and knobs. I mean if the bottom of the screen is always used up for HAVC, just cut off the bottom of the screen. And put physical controls. Also a physical button for auto start/stop.
Agree 100%

·
Registered
20 Outback Ltd XT
260 Posts
I'm thinking about trading it in for a Tesla Model Y
Gave me a great price for a trade in 27,9000
My trade #s have been all over, $28k on a Honda to 32k at my Subie dealer. Carvana gave an online buy # of $33.7 which is VERY tempting (yes I'd lose sales tax advantage on trade).

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
My trade #s have been all over, $28k on a Honda to 32k at my Subie dealer. Carvana gave an online buy # of $33.7 which is VERY tempting (yes I'd lose sales tax advantage on trade).
How much did you pay?
It's usually prohibitively expensive to sell or trade an almost new vehicle, unless you got some sort of super deal when you bought or you are selling to an uneducated private party.

221 - 240 of 245 Posts