Subaru Outback Forums banner

Would you buy your 2020 OB again?

• Yes, I would by the same model

Votes: 175 74.8%
  • Yes, but I would buy a higher model or trim level

Votes: 23 9.8%
  • Yes, but I would buy a lower model or trim level

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • No, I would not buy a 2020 Outback again.

Votes: 34 14.5%

• Total voters
81 - 100 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
524 Posts
I d buy the 2020 Onyx again. I am getting familiar with the HVAC and although not my favorite it is less on my mind.
Auto SS, I have figured it out enough and now it rarely shuts down. Great interior, styling is nice and same great Subaru feel and drive. AWD was excellent the few snow storms. My 7th BTW.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
288 Posts
Not a day goes by when I wouldn't regret not buying a 2019 OB Premium. The only thing I like about my 2020 OB is the seat and the hands-free rear gate. My dislikes start with disproportionately large rear end, then the HVAC controls (take your eyes off the road to find and tap that heated seat icon, or to change the airflow direction). S/S is rough, and the icon to disable it is three levels deep. Revving up to 4,000 rpm to merge onto the highway, or to pass. And just recently I discovered that the moonroof, not big to begin with, when fully open makes a "thudding" noise which beats on your ears. So I paid $4,000 for an option I'd love to use but can't. If no changes made by Subaru a few years down the road, after 23 years I will regretfully say "goodbye" to the brand.
Sounds very much like the 2020 OB is not for you. I think the Ascent has a better interior for you, it has all the knobs and buttons that you want and no start/stop.

I've driven the 2020 Ascent now from about a week. Thanks to my Onyx being in the shop for a windscreen replacement and TPMS issue.

So I had some quality time in City and Highway driving. The Ascent has all the things everyone wants in the OB as far as the infotainment and HVAC goes with the buttons/knobs and a smaller touch screen.

For me, the Onyx is the first Subaru I've owned and the Ascent is the 2nd Subaru I have driven for an extended time...so now onto my points:

1. You are still searching for that button or knob. Except you are looking down more since everything is LOWER than it is - in contrast to the 20 OB. For example, the heated seat button is literally at the corner of the console. The front de-froster is tucked under neath a center knob - that one I am always trying to guess where the **** it is and VERY annoying when the windscreen is fogging up in the Ascent.

2. Every button is dark. May be its because of the protective plastic is still on the buttons (being a newly minted rental) but it's still dark even at night and you have to search to find it. Although the buttons are back lite, it is small. Contrast this to the better lighted touch screen icons - much, much easier to find

3. Some buttons, you have to press hard. For example the "Media" or the "Radio" button. It's really an odd soft feel buttons. Contrast this to the light touch on the touchpad. Another pet peeve going between those 2 infotainment areas.

4. The HVAC has a knob and the temp is displayed in a gray LCD screen. Same for the fan control and you have to look hard to see what level you set the fan too and it's still on the mini gray LCD. No thanks, give me my big touchscreen numbers and finger slider.

Frankly after my experience with the Ascent hard buttons/knobs I wanted my OB touchscreen back so bad. It's more intuitive, easier to see, well lighted and it's all centered there and not tucked in the corner of the center console on a dark button with a little teeny-weeny icon light.

The touchscreen, it's not perfect but IMHO, its a **** sight better than the Ascent knobs/buttons.

It seems most 20 OB owners want to whine and opine for the buttons/knobs. However, after physically experiencing a Subaru version of the buttons/knobs vs touch screen, I appreciate the real difference in the real world driving conditions & use.

Thats my experience, not some wishful discussion points/feelings. My 2c

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
LOL, I have to take it with a grain of salt once I saw they called the Subaru Legacy a large car. A 1975 Cadillac is a large car, a Legacy, not so much.
That would be with a grain of "old salt" :) Man thay made some GIANT cars in the 70's! Back in 1985, I had a 1978 Mercury Couger. It was a full foot and a half longer than my Dads prized Caddy. ( A fact that drove him nuts!) It was so long that it wouldn't fit into our garage for repairs ( which it needed regularly). Ah, the days of land yachts and 8 mpg!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds very much like the 2020 OB is not for you. I think the Ascent has a better interior for you, it has all the knobs and buttons that you want and no start/stop.

I've driven the 2020 Ascent now from about a week. Thanks to my Onyx being in the shop for a windscreen replacement and TPMS issue.

So I had some quality time in City and Highway driving. The Ascent has all the things everyone wants in the OB as far as the infotainment and HVAC goes with the buttons/knobs and a smaller touch screen.

For me, the Onyx is the first Subaru I've owned and the Ascent is the 2nd Subaru I have driven for an extended time...so now onto my points:

1. You are still searching for that button or knob. Except you are looking down more since everything is LOWER than it is - in contrast to the 20 OB. For example, the heated seat button is literally at the corner of the console. The front de-froster is tucked under neath a center knob - that one I am always trying to guess where the **** it is and VERY annoying when the windscreen is fogging up in the Ascent.

2. Every button is dark. May be its because of the protective plastic is still on the buttons (being a newly minted rental) but it's still dark even at night and you have to search to find it. Although the buttons are back lite, it is small. Contrast this to the better lighted touch screen icons - much, much easier to find

3. Some buttons, you have to press hard. For example the "Media" or the "Radio" button. It's really an odd soft feel buttons. Contrast this to the light touch on the touchpad. Another pet peeve going between those 2 infotainment areas.

4. The HVAC has a knob and the temp is displayed in a gray LCD screen. Same for the fan control and you have to look hard to see what level you set the fan too and it's still on the mini gray LCD. No thanks, give me my big touchscreen numbers and finger slider.

Frankly after my experience with the Ascent hard buttons/knobs I wanted my OB touchscreen back so bad. It's more intuitive, easier to see, well lighted and it's all centered there and not tucked in the corner of the center console on a dark button with a little teeny-weeny icon light.

The touchscreen, it's not perfect but IMHO, its a **** sight better than the Ascent knobs/buttons.

It seems most 20 OB owners want to whine and opine for the buttons/knobs. However, after physically experiencing a Subaru version of the buttons/knobs vs touch screen, I appreciate the real difference in the real world driving conditions & use.

Thank you for the 2c, maybe I should drive an Ascent to make myself feel better :) I am a wagon guy though, not an SUV, otherwise I would've been on a Honda forum now discussing a CR-V. This is my fourth OB

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
318 Posts
After almost two months, I'm pretty happy. In all honesty though, I probably would have gone with a Touring XT instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very happy with my Green/Black premium Outback, and would do it again. After 3 months, I still look forward to driving it as much as I did when I took delivery, even to work and back. I really like the design and look of the interior.

I do get infotainment glitches, which is the only thing that gets me down on occasion when they occur. None of these issues are “permanent”, just annoying that they happen. But the positive features of the infotainment system outweigh the glitches that occur.

My salesman did give me a heads up during the test drive that the start/stop resets at each startup, and I actually may be one of the few that are okay with it, haha.

After my Outback broke in, “soft braking” has become easier, and I found I can control S/S more this way. I also use the other hacks, like turning the wheel slightly, when I don’t want to activate it.

I do like having my engine off on long lights, through, I do the notorious 3 button shut off sequence when I get caught in stop and go traffic, luckily not too often.

Love the adaptive cruise control and the Eyesight features.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
644 Posts
180 miles only, loved it though not using cruise control till hit 1k. No glitches using AA home with galaxy S10 (maps, phone calls, and Musicolet plugin). I did notice during phone calls it appeared to mute the directions (probably drove miles too far missing turns before I noticed this). I didn't see a way to fix this automatically, but I'm guessing I have to hit the settings on google maps, voice guidance, unmute each time I'm on a call while driving. That's slightly annoying. I'm more apt to call people on long drives where I need to still hear directions.

Otherwise, all flawless. Tires are over inflated at 41-40 from dealership (warm running numbers) once sensor numbers kicked in over 30 miles driven. Ride's rougher from over inflation. Dealer even got it set up for "Hey Google" commands for AA rather than needing to do long press on steering wheel! Tested with phone calls, directions, and weather for destination. Fantastic!

Thrilled with the car for my limited 2.5 hour driving time.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited (Magnetite Gray Metallic)
442 Posts
I did notice during phone calls it appeared to mute the directions (probably drove miles too far missing turns before I noticed this). I didn't see a way to fix this automatically, but I'm guessing I have to hit the settings on google maps, voice guidance, unmute each time I'm on a call while driving. That's slightly annoying. I'm more apt to call people on long drives where I need to still hear directions.
Have you try enabling "Play voice during phone calls"?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Have you try enabling "Play voice during phone calls"?
Interestingly, this may be my first bug. It was enabled but thanks for the tip!

I switched it off, backed out of settings, then went back in and re-enabled it. I'll see if it works next time I go somewhere, probably Monday. Tuesday the Kansas City area begins a mandatory stay at home order for non-essential workers & travel (but you can still go to the park if you keep 6' distance, wtf) with a misdemeanor $500 fine and up to 6 months jail time for violation. Order lasts for 30 days after which it may be extended.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I only put no because of the infotainment center and Stop and Start its just overwhelming
I get that. The Start stop has worn in nicely for me though. It's gotten very smooth these days. Hopefully yours does too. I'm still struggling with the random performance of the Infotainment System. Two visits to the dealer has not cured anything. If there is a weakness in the entire car, it's in this "upgrade" from previous years. So far though, it has not kept me from enjoying the heck out of this otherwise great vehicle. Don't give up hope!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Honestly, though I do quite like my 2020 Onyx XT overall, I'm not sure I'd do it all over again. I had a 2019 WRX - which I loved, except for driving a manual transmission in Atlanta's horrible traffic. But I missed the ability to go soft-roading on the US Forest Service roads in the Appalachians like I did in my 2005 Forester XT. In fact, I think that Forester XT was the best all-around car I have ever owned. Back to the Outback, though. Here are its biggest faults, IMO:
  • CVT. It's not terrible when one stomps on the accelerator, but it's godawful bad in regular acceleration. I shouldn't get sluggish acceleration at 30% throttle. I'd prefer a traditional automatic, but barring that, I'd like to have an 'S' mode so that it has peppier throttle response.
  • Infotainment system. That large screen is awful. I'm a techie and thought I'd love it. Nope. It's slooooooow. And not only is it slow, it's randomly slow. Sometimes, features become available to select in only a couple of seconds after startup. Other times, it. Takes. Forever. There seems to be no consistency in its pokey performance. The infotainment system in my base 2019 WRX was snappier than the one in the Outback. Not only that, but the one in my wife's 2020 Crosstrek is both snappier and more vibrant.
  • Eye Sight. I don't hate it...but I don't love it, either. It seems to be overly sensitive, especially when the car ahead is making a turn and it doesn't think I'm slowing down enough and applies the brakes for me. Thanks, Subaru, but I don't need that much help.
  • Climate Control. It could be lumped into the infotainment system, I suppose, but it suffers from more than just the sluggishness of the head unit. I understand why so many features are embedded into the infotainment system, but it makes it far less user-friendly. Seat heaters? <boop> <boop> <boop boop boop> Yeah...annoying.
  • Engine Start/Stop. I don't mind S/S. I don't even care that it cannot be permanently disabled. I do care, though, that I have to go through what feels like a pre-flight operation to disable it EVERY TIME. The 2020 Crosstrek has a button on the dash to disable it. Easy peasy. Why can't the Outback has a similar button on the dash?
  • Stock tires. I get why most people couldn't care less about the tires that come standard. However, Subaru is marketing the Onyx as the trim for "people who like to venture off the beaten path". So...why does it still come with the standard all-season tires? Something like the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail should come standard on the Onyx.
I love Subaru - the Outback is my 5th Subaru. But I think my next vehicle might be from another manufacturer, ESPECIALLY if the CVT is still the only automatic option.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
17 Posts
2020 Onyx...probably not. I wouldn’t necessarily rule out another Outback, but not the Onyx. This is my fourth Outback - absolutely loved the others. Kind of already looking forward to the lease ending on this one. I do agree with pretty much everything Crow said above. More than that, though, it’s the small things that kind of nag at me. The warped grille above the head unit, the sharp unpolished seams on the plastic shifter, little things like that that are a bit of a letdown on a car with a sticker over 39k. This one is entire my own issue and not the car’s fault, but I just can’t seem to find a comfortable driving position in this model - something about the interior ergonomics seems to not agree with me.

Certainly not the end of the world, but not the experience I was hoping for, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
288 Posts
Honestly, though I do quite like my 2020 Onyx XT overall, I'm not sure I'd do it all over again. I had a 2019 WRX - which I loved, except for driving a manual transmission in Atlanta's horrible traffic. But I missed the ability to go soft-roading on the US Forest Service roads in the Appalachians like I did in my 2005 Forester XT. In fact, I think that Forester XT was the best all-around car I have ever owned. Back to the Outback, though. Here are its biggest faults, IMO:
  • CVT. It's not terrible when one stomps on the accelerator, but it's godawful bad in regular acceleration. I shouldn't get sluggish acceleration at 30% throttle. I'd prefer a traditional automatic, but barring that, I'd like to have an 'S' mode so that it has peppier throttle response.
  • Infotainment system. That large screen is awful. I'm a techie and thought I'd love it. Nope. It's slooooooow. And not only is it slow, it's randomly slow. Sometimes, features become available to select in only a couple of seconds after startup. Other times, it. Takes. Forever. There seems to be no consistency in its pokey performance. The infotainment system in my base 2019 WRX was snappier than the one in the Outback. Not only that, but the one in my wife's 2020 Crosstrek is both snappier and more vibrant.
  • Eye Sight. I don't hate it...but I don't love it, either. It seems to be overly sensitive, especially when the car ahead is making a turn and it doesn't think I'm slowing down enough and applies the brakes for me. Thanks, Subaru, but I don't need that much help.
  • Climate Control. It could be lumped into the infotainment system, I suppose, but it suffers from more than just the sluggishness of the head unit. I understand why so many features are embedded into the infotainment system, but it makes it far less user-friendly. Seat heaters? <boop> <boop> <boop boop boop> Yeah...annoying.
  • Engine Start/Stop. I don't mind S/S. I don't even care that it cannot be permanently disabled. I do care, though, that I have to go through what feels like a pre-flight operation to disable it EVERY TIME. The 2020 Crosstrek has a button on the dash to disable it. Easy peasy. Why can't the Outback has a similar button on the dash?
  • Stock tires. I get why most people couldn't care less about the tires that come standard. However, Subaru is marketing the Onyx as the trim for "people who like to venture off the beaten path". So...why does it still come with the standard all-season tires? Something like the Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail should come standard on the Onyx.
I love Subaru - the Outback is my 5th Subaru. But I think my next vehicle might be from another manufacturer, ESPECIALLY if the CVT is still the only automatic option.
Take a drive of the Ascent, that has most of the things you wanted that you did not like in the OB. I've driven that Ascent for 6 days in LA traffic while my Onyx was in the shop and frankly, I missed & preferred my infotainment for the HVAC. What I did not like about the Ascent dedicated buttons is the smallness of the buttons, placement and its not back lite enough to see and all over a wider space. Even after 6 days I was saying "where the **** is that demister button" - "oh hidden under the twist knob". I just think the angle of my driving position and the angle of the Ascent HU just did not sit well for me to see the buttons that I need and they were all lower. Not higher like in the OB info.

Yeah,may be I prefer the <boop> <boop> but to me, the OG infotainment is clear and logical, much easier to see compared to what I experienced in the Ascent. I'm in IT and the larger screen got my attention but my Onyx does not suffer the sluggishness. Use the Map and Media predominantly, no Android Auto though.

My 2c

·
Registered
644 Posts
I'm in IT and the larger screen got my attention but my Onyx does not suffer the sluggishness. Use the Map and Media predominantly, no Android Auto though.
I'm using the Musicolet plugin for music with AA and noticed fair delays in skipping songs forward or back. Other than that, haven't noticed it.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
406 Posts
I might have bought the highest trim level if they didn't have those butt ugly brown leather seats. If they'd had leather seats on a lower trim level I would have bought that.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
209 Posts
I decided to scan the Rav 4 forum to see what issues they have. Just curious as Start / Stop seems to be our main issue and the fact the heated seats levels can't be adjusted on the main / home screen instead of opening up another menu. It's amazing how much the fact the Rav 4 doesn't have back-lit power window buttons annoys people.

They went as far as to switch their power window switch on driver's side with the Corolla / Camry switches which are back lit and worked. However the harness for the other passenger window switches lack the wires / pins to illuminate any other aftermarket switches so it's no go.

Toyota Rav 4 Forum No Back-lit buttons

81 - 100 of 150 Posts