Subaru Outback Forums banner

Would you buy your 2020 OB again?

• Yes, I would by the same model

Votes: 176 74.6%
  • Yes, but I would buy a higher model or trim level

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • Yes, but I would buy a lower model or trim level

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • No, I would not buy a 2020 Outback again.

Votes: 34 14.4%

• Total voters
101 - 120 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,012 Posts
I'm using the Musicolet plugin for music with AA and noticed fair delays in skipping songs forward or back. Other than that, haven't noticed it.
I am using PowerAmp for my FLAC files and Podcast Addict with AA and haven't noticed any slow downs at all. Podcast Addict though sometimes starts playing a file and pauses for no reason. I have to press play again to resume playback.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I decided to scan the Rav 4 forum to see what issues they have. Just curious as Start / Stop seems to be our main issue and the fact the heated seats levels can't be adjusted on the main / home screen instead of opening up another menu. It's amazing how much the fact the Rav 4 doesn't have back-lit power window buttons annoys people.

They went as far as to switch their power window switch on driver's side with the Corolla / Camry switches which are back lit and worked. However the harness for the other passenger window switches lack the wires / pins to illuminate any other aftermarket switches so it's no go.

Toyota Rav 4 Forum No Back-lit buttons
There’s a heck of a lot more than that. Like a raucous engine, stumbling transmission, uncomfortable seats, problems with fit and finish, and more.

I rented a new one for two weeks and it had all of the above. I couldn’t believe it was a Toyota.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium Dark Grey 4 cyl
254 Posts
The headlights are frustrating. If I had it to do again I would test drive the vehicles at night. If I had known of the issues ahead of time I would have looked at a Santa Fe or Palisade.
What is your issue with the headlights? I only had my car a few weeks and drove it only once at night (thanks to staying home due to the virus). The headlights on the '20 lit up the road way better than my '18 ever did.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I would buy the '20 again. Much better than my '18.

Only things I would change are
1. Permanent button to disable auto start/stop. My display reads that in 49 minutes of waiting, I saved 0.005 gallons of gas. Erm no. Not even remotely helpful for me.
2. Larger backup camera screen. My '18 had a much bigger view which was perfect.
3. Add a cd player. Yes yes yes I know transfer all the cd's to usb. However if you want to transfer tons of my cd's to usb yourself, please, feel free to do so. It will take a long time for me to complete that.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,012 Posts
I would buy the '20 again. Much better than my '18.

Only things I would change are
1. Permanent button to disable auto start/stop. My display reads that in 49 minutes of waiting, I saved 0.005 gallons of gas. Erm no. Not even remotely helpful for me.
2. Larger backup camera screen. My '18 had a much bigger view which was perfect.
3. Add a cd player. Yes yes yes I know transfer all the cd's to usb. However if you want to transfer tons of my cd's to usb yourself, please, feel free to do so. It will take a long time for me to complete that.
As for #3, you can add a CD player as an accessory. Comes standard in Touring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have no issues with the car and most likley would buy again. However ideally I would prefer two changes on the next gen which I am sure will not happen and thus have me compromise or look to investigate others in 6-10 years. In either case I will still probably looks to see what else may fit my needs at that time.
  1. Add about 4" of width to the car..I really liked the width of the Chevy Blazer (I know not the best car but interor dimensions were decent)
  2. Increase towing capacity to 4000lbs.
I know the towing figure creeps into the Ascent area but I don't need a three row nor all that capacity. I think there is a need for a car without two rows that has good towing and ground clearance of the outback. That is why i looked at the Passport and I almost pulled the trigger on that car bc I had been a lifelong Honda owner. I went with the Subie due to better safety and up to date tech. The 4Runner was a nonstarter on gas and being old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Absolutely I would buy again. I had a 2015 Limited OB that was totaled in a head on crash. I got out of the car, checked to see if I was OK (I was) and sat on the curb. The other car, a Cadillac, had two occupants, one went to the hospital in serious condition the other in critical condition. I them bought a 2017 Touring OB. I was rear ended by a truck. OB was totaled, I was OK. Body shop was surprised no one was hurt let alone killed. Needless to say, I purchased another Touring OB XT. This car is even better than the previous OBs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Absolutely I would buy again. I had a 2015 Limited OB that was totaled in a head on crash. I got out of the car, checked to see if I was OK (I was) and sat on the curb. The other car, a Cadillac, had two occupants, one went to the hospital in serious condition the other in critical condition. I them bought a 2017 Touring OB. I was rear ended by a truck. OB was totaled, I was OK. Body shop was surprised no one was hurt let alone killed. Needless to say, I purchased another Touring OB XT. This car is even better than the previous OBs.
Agree. My '18 was totaled (cost wise) but it protected me and I walked away. Would I buy the '18 again? Yeah I would. Now that I have a '20, I would buy that again too. But in my opinion, I would buy the '20 over the '18 any day.

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
29 Posts
Pretty sure we're a no at this point. In fact, I'm strongly considering trading it in once we're able to go back outside. I'm a tech guy, I work in software and I am frustrated day in and day out by the infotainment in this 40k+ vehicle. I could see past it if it weren't for the non-linear throttle response, implementation of the eye sight system and trash gas mileage. I think ALL of these things can be fixed, but I also feel like I am an unwilling beta tester for a pretty hefty price. We were wooed by the big, fancy screen and pretty bits, but I wish we were able to really use the vehicle for a couple of weeks before making a decision. We'll see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pretty sure we're a no at this point. In fact, I'm strongly considering trading it in once we're able to go back outside. I'm a tech guy, I work in software and I am frustrated day in and day out by the infotainment in this 40k+ vehicle. I could see past it if it weren't for the non-linear throttle response, implementation of the eye sight system and trash gas mileage. I think ALL of these things can be fixed, but I also feel like I am an unwilling beta tester for a pretty hefty price. We were wooed by the big, fancy screen and pretty bits, but I wish we were able to really use the vehicle for a couple of weeks before making a decision. We'll see.
Agreed. In a car that costs this much, it's ridiculous that Subaru used under-powered processors in the head unit (and, more worryingly, under-tested code). It took me all of two days to discover the disappearing EQ settings. How long did Subaru's QC team spend on it?

The biggie for me is the terrible throttle response. It's fine immediately off the line...but then - even with the throttle at 35% - it shifts to a higher "gear" and slows its acceleration. I guess that's for efficiency...but in my opinion, the sole decider in how efficient I want the throttle to be should be the amount of pressure my foot exerts on the pedal. Period. At least give me the ability to put it in sport mode without having to resort to the paddle shifters.

I generally love Subaru - the Outback is my fifth purchase of the brand. But I now feel I should've gone with my lust and picked up the Volvo V60 Cross Country that I was eyeing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
....picked up the Volvo V60 Cross Country that I was eyeing.
Very much agreed about the Volvo. Entered into two leases on the same day; 2020 Touring XT and 2020 Volvo XC40. Was coming from a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace and 2018 Volvo XC90. I absolutely despise the 2020 Touring XT and wish I just stuck with the F-Pace. Glad this is just a lease and COVID is making it better as not really driving that much anyway. Literally the next day after signing the lease for the Outback went back to Volvo to test drive a CC V60 because of the Subaru infotainment flaw making/during phone calls while the vehicle is in motion. Thought there would be a work around with the infotainment but Subaru of America refuses to address. Would willingly take a loss on the vehicle if someone would take over the lease.

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
29 Posts
Very much agreed about the Volvo. Entered into two leases on the same day; 2020 Touring XT and 2020 Volvo XC40. Was coming from a 2017 Jaguar F-Pace and 2018 Volvo XC90. I absolutely despise the 2020 Touring XT and wish I just stuck with the F-Pace. Glad this is just a lease and COVID is making it better as not really driving that much anyway. Literally the next day after signing the lease for the Outback went back to Volvo to test drive a CC V60 because of the Subaru infotainment flaw making/during phone calls while the vehicle is in motion. Thought there would be a work around with the infotainment but Subaru of America refuses to address. Would willingly take a loss on the vehicle if someone would take over the lease.
Which XC40 model did you get? Seriously considering it. Love the looks of the new 40s and 60s. Thought on the Volvo by comparison?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Right there with you. Lifetime mpg after 2 months is 21.3mpg and 1250 miles. Subaru's overreaching restriction preventing phone calls from being dialed on the fancy screen while the vehicle is in motion while using Bluetooth and Apple Car Play but not on Android Auto are not a "feature" but a "bug" or "errata." Was starting the process for Lemon Law and/or Class Action but then COVID started. More than happy to work together on this.

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
29 Posts
Agreed. In a car that costs this much, it's ridiculous that Subaru used under-powered processors in the head unit (and, more worryingly, under-tested code). It took me all of two days to discover the disappearing EQ settings. How long did Subaru's QC team spend on it?

The biggie for me is the terrible throttle response. It's fine immediately off the line...but then - even with the throttle at 35% - it shifts to a higher "gear" and slows its acceleration. I guess that's for efficiency...but in my opinion, the sole decider in how efficient I want the throttle to be should be the amount of pressure my foot exerts on the pedal. Period. At least give me the ability to put it in sport mode without having to resort to the paddle shifters.

I generally love Subaru - the Outback is my fifth purchase of the brand. But I now feel I should've gone with my lust and picked up the Volvo V60 Cross Country that I was eyeing.
I'm with you on all fronts obviously. I mentioned throttle response in my answer, but I wanted to add to it. I have to wonder if it has something to do with the learning ECU. My gf is the predominant driver of the car and she takes it around town during the week. I'm usually driving on the weekend and longer trips. I wonder if that plays into it. For me, I just barely get any kind of response from the pedal unless I mash it. It's like it has a 25% dead zone. You've got to really drive it to the floor for it to 'upshift' which is especially annoying when driving up switchbacks in the mountains. Thankfully, I switch to using the paddle shifters when this is the case, but like you said - a simple sport mode would accomplish most of this I imagine. It just isn't fun to drive when I feel like the car is fighting you with everything you do. ****, I can't even put an address into Android Auto when I'm parked in my driveway, because the car/phone doesn't know I'm parked.

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
29 Posts
Right there with you. Lifetime mpg after 2 months is 21.3mpg and 1250 miles. Subaru's overreaching restriction preventing phone calls from being dialed on the fancy screen while the vehicle is in motion while using Bluetooth and Apple Car Play but not on Android Auto are not a "feature" but a "bug" or "errata." Was starting the process for Lemon Law and/or Class Action but then COVID started. More than happy to work together on this.
I'll try to check what lifetime mileage is on ours, which is 5 or 6 months now. Probably around the same. I'm not sure if that is grounds for a class, nor is a frustrating UI/UX, but I'd certainly take it if I meant recouping losses on selling it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Which XC40 model did you get? Seriously considering it. Love the looks of the new 40s and 60s. Thought on the Volvo by comparison?
XC40 R-Design T5 with Polestar, Advanced Package, Heated steering wheel/seats, and 20" wheels. We love it. The material on the R Designs seats works out great with our dogs. I keep this picture on my desk as a reminder of my big mistake especially since it has the F-Pace in the front.

Its just money, but the level of frustration and wasted time is the biggest loss. If I could go back in time, I would either just keep the F-Pace, wait for the Defender 110, or go the XC60 / Cross Country V60. Why I didn't go the CC V60 is because it was slower than the F-Pace. The Touring XT is supposed to be 0-60 in 6.1 seconds but that is not accurate. The XC60 is not as bad with the T6 and a real transmission. Volvo did good by us over the past three vehicles with them. We had a 2016 XC90 that they bought back due to issues with the air shocks. Went into a 2018 XC90 and drove 50,000 relatively trouble free miles but it did burn through brakes.

Check out my larger post here; Thoughts on moving from 2017 3.6R Limited Edition to 2020 Onyx XT.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'll try to check what lifetime mileage is on ours, which is 5 or 6 months now. Probably around the same. I'm not sure if that is grounds for a class, nor is a frustrating UI/UX, but I'd certainly take it if I meant recouping losses on selling it back to the dealer.
The grounds for the class action lawsuit is the claim that the disabling the dial pad while the vehicle is in motion while using Bluetooth or Apple Car Play is a feature, but Android Auto does not have such restriction because Google does not allow functions to be disabled. The definition of "feature" is consistent behavior but because Android Auto does not have it, it is classified as a "bug" or "errata." I have even debated about switching from iPhone to Android because the vehicle is that unusable to me professionally. It gets even worse when considering that Massachusetts (my original intention to drive to and from for work/school) and California have laws on the books that prohibit touching a mobile device but allow the dialing of a phone number on the screen. Due to client confidentiality agreements and the lack of a Subaru privacy policies, I am not able to use voice commands.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts