Subaru Outback Forums banner

Would you buy your 2020 OB again?

• Yes, I would by the same model

Votes: 176 74.6%
  • Yes, but I would buy a higher model or trim level

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • Yes, but I would buy a lower model or trim level

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • No, I would not buy a 2020 Outback again.

Votes: 34 14.4%

• Total voters
121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a question to those mentioning throttle response as a reason they wouldn’t buy again. Any reason why you didn’t notice that during test driving? I’m not challenging you, just curious why it didn’t come up then. I’m considering purchasing a ‘20 xt touring so curious what to look out for when testing (if the dealerships are ever allowed to open again). What’s the best way to trigger examples of the poor throttle response.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a question to those mentioning throttle response as a reason they wouldn’t buy again. Any reason why you didn’t notice that during test driving? I’m not challenging you, just curious why it didn’t come up then. I’m considering purchasing a ‘20 xt touring so curious what to look out for when testing (if the dealerships are ever allowed to open again). What’s the best way to trigger examples of the poor throttle response.
There is a learning curve to the throttle response aka pedal feel. On a test drive, conditions are artificial as sometimes the salesperson (thankfully not in my situation) is in the vehicle or as it is usually the first time driving a vehicle do not think much about the throttle response. On my test drive of a gray Touring XT, I had previously read about the throttle response and just floored it. Drove it like I stole it and got the look of death from my wife with the tires squealing on sweeping turns and on/off ramps. Coming from a faster more capable vehicle (2017 F-Pace), the performance was "close enough" for the price and original intended purpose of a commuter car. There are local railroad tracks that I would have never dared driving over 25mph in the Jaguar fearing it would break something that the Touring XT laughed at doing 45mph.

Fast forward and I have 1320 miles on the clock with 500 of it being a long trip on my black Touring XT since having it late February. Due to COVID, more than likely never going to use it as a commuter vehicle. Still getting used to the throttle response though. Best way of explaining it is for me, there are two speeds; around town/maintain highway speed and accelerate. However, with gas prices the way they are, mpg is irrelevant.

PS - If you want to assume my lease super cheap, more than happy to give it a good home. Black Touring XT, factory installed hitch, all weather rubber mats, non-smoker, and zero accidents. Taking over the payments saves you tax and down payment. I will cover whatever state transfer fees.

·
Registered
26 Posts
For me, I went from the manual transmission in a WRX, so I expected there to be a difference in how the two vehicles behaved. I chalked it up to 'CVT rubber banding'. However, when I put the vehicle in "manual" mode to shift with the paddle shifters, I then noticed that drop-off after pulling away from a stop was 100% the throttle/CVT mapping. Manual mode has a nice, fairly linear acceleration profile...which is more than acceptable. But it's also annoying that I have to put it in manual mode in order to get that sort of response. Either the mapping needs to be more linear, or there should be a sport mode that holds the CVT ratio longer to get that linear acceleration profile.

The way the poor throttle response presents itself to me is accelerating from a stop. I have the throttle somewhere between 10%-30% and it goes off the line quickly, but then - after a couple of seconds - the RPMs drop because the CVT goes into a more efficient ratio. It makes the car feel sluggish. If one gives more throttle, the engine and CVT "wake up" and it rushes forward...only to make one relieve pressure on the throttle, when then makes it drop way back down.

I don't hate the car. In fact, I pretty much enjoy most every aspect about it (except for the throttle response and the infotainment response)...I've even come to not care if I forget to go through my pre-flight checklist to disable the auto start/stop. I'm going to personalize the vehicle to my tastes and enjoy it. However, knowing what I know now, I probably would not have purchased it because of those two glaring issues.

·
Registered
2012 2.5 Outback Manual
64 Posts
No. Manual transmissions for me. Sadly I think the 2017 is the last manual available.

Too bad, because Valerie is shaping up to be the best car I've ever owned, and I'm really sold on Subarus now.

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
29 Posts
What Crow T Robot said. My test drive was with the salesperson in the car, and it was just a local loop. No freeway time to test it all that much. I did give it a bit more gas from the stops because I was gauging whether we wanted the turbo or not. It wasn't until really driving the car at length you see the frustrations come up. I effectively have a dead pedal from 0-30% throttle when on the highway. You can watch the little throttle graph and feel nothing happening. You really need to jam the pedal to get any kind of response. Counter that with off the line city driving, it surges at first and then drops off abruptly.

Everything changes in manual mode because you can keep the RPMs in the power band rather than the efficiency band. A simple sport button mapping would probably solve this annoyance.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The only issue I have is with the start stop being rough. Not to mention the tiny fuel savings. The infotainment is fine to me. I don’t really make calls in the car so the dialing thing doesn’t bother me. I don’t have the dead pedal problem. One of my shifts has a slight delay. That annoys me. Could be fourth of fifth. Haven’t really looked into it.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I effectively have a dead pedal from 0-30% throttle when on the highway. You can watch the little throttle graph and feel nothing happening. You really need to jam the pedal to get any kind of response. Counter that with off the line city driving, it surges at first and then drops off abruptly.
Possibly relevant threads:

What seems odd is that some people have a "dead" throttle like you describe, but my throttle is perfectly fine - no dead spot at all.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Limited
37 Posts
<snip>
Everything changes in manual mode because you can keep the RPMs in the power band rather than the efficiency band. A simple sport button mapping would probably solve this annoyance.
Agree 100%.

The manual mode of the trans is the sport button. Manufactures are all but forced to tailor throttle mapping to eek out the last drop of fuel economy for better EPA ratings. Driveabilty is a secondary condition now, and small turbocharged engines that don't produce much in the way of low end torque show this the most. Too little throttle and nothing, just a touch too much and the boost takes over too aggressively. Rockets on/Rockets off, no middle ground.

The EPA tests are done in the "as started" condition - the reason the auto start/stop (stop/start?) system is activated and can't be defeated.

Our 2018 H6 is the opposite, very touchy pedal. On a short test drive it would lead one to believe it's quick and powerful, when in reality it feels like 75% of the throttle function is condensed into the first 45% of pedal travel.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited Abyss Blue Pearl 2.5
61 Posts
I’ll be 59 in a month or two and yes my prostrate has become an issue! That‘s what’s dictating my rest stops on long drives these days!
You guys with enlarged Prostrate conditions need to get a PSA regulary. I have had BPH for the last 10yrs,so I didnt worry about it and just kept taking my Flowmax. Last November I switched to a new Urologist who insisted on doing a Biopsy, and discovered that I have Advanced Prostate Cancer. I'm still in Therapy

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
334 Posts

What seems odd is that some people have a "dead" throttle like you describe, but my throttle is perfectly fine - no dead spot at all.
I did the procedure you listed and it seemed to make tip-in a little better, but I didn’t really have a problem to begin with, so I’m not sure how much of a difference it actually made or if it’s just psychological.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Thanks! That worked exceptionally well. If previous acceleration was a 1/10, it's now an 8/10. It made a HUGE difference. The only oddity is that I'm now getting service interval notification, even though the system shows that it's nowhere near time for service. Interesting. Nevertheless, the throttle reset worked wonders.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would buy the same car again, but if I had an option of ‘I would wait till I 2021, or at least until they updated the display’ I would have picked that option.
I agree, while I really liked the Onyx seats & a turbo, the info system turned me off, don't like double hits, keeping eyes off road too long. Subaru should have used same dash layout as Ascent or Forester, (do like vertical heat/AC vents). I bought a 2014 Subaru Outback Ltd 3.6R, great dash layout & more power than the leased 2017 Outback 2.5 Ltd. Might consider 2021 Onyx turbo if they change info system, add knobs etc.

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
29 Posts
Anyone want to buy a 2020 with 4000 miles? I'm done with this thing. I backed into my garbage can today (slowly, no damage), as my kid blocked the driveway with it and it was lower than the rear window. Car didn't make a peep since the audio system isn't working now. Did a factory reset and still no sound. Guess I need to disconnect the battery. This thing just isn't worth the frustration.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
487 Posts
Anyone want to buy a 2020 with 4000 miles? I'm done with this thing. I backed into my garbage can today (slowly, no damage), as my kid blocked the driveway with it and it was lower than the rear window. Car didn't make a peep since the audio system isn't working now. Did a factory reset and still no sound. Guess I need to disconnect the battery. This thing just isn't worth the frustration.
Was it visible in the camera? Where are you located and what specific model/color are you selling?

·
Registered
2020 XT Touring
29 Posts
Was it visible in the camera? Where are you located and what specific model/color are you selling?
Ah, right, so about that. It's another thing I love. I live in Southern CA, and we were leaving the house in full sun. I wasn't really paying attention to the screen, I was looking for cross traffic, but even if I were, I doubt I'd have seen it as the screen is nigh on unreadable in direct sunlight, and the camera quality is hot garbage. It's an XT Touring. I'm not totally sure about selling it, I just don't know what I'm going to do with it.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium
487 Posts
Ah, right, so about that. It's another thing I love. I live in Southern CA, and we were leaving the house in full sun. I wasn't really paying attention to the screen, I was looking for cross traffic, but even if I were, I doubt I'd have seen it as the screen is nigh on unreadable in direct sunlight, and the camera quality is hot garbage. It's an XT Touring. I'm not totally sure about selling it, I just don't know what I'm going to do with it.
While many say the resolution on the 19 camera was better than the 20, I can definitely say the brightness in varying light levels is by far superior on the 20. When backing out of a dark garage into bright sunlight, the rear camera in our 19 was always too dim as it adjusted to the darkness of the garage. Same situation with our 20 the camera display is smart enough to know we're backing into bright light and brightens the display perfectly even though we're still in the dark garage.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is a fun thread... i've actually had 3 2020 outbacks, crazy right? LONG story... basically between me and my ex we had a 2020 Limited with the moonroof/driver focus package / AND an onyx... i got to 'keep' the limited but had to get it out of both names so i ended up just trading it in for a new onyx with the moonroof/nav package and I cant be happier... although I do miss HK audio and the acoustic glass.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,440 Posts
@josephine - You have the unique perspective of ownership of both a limited and an Onyx! Was the Limited an XT also?

To add my two cents to this thread, I've owned/leased 3 Subies now, a Legacy, Outback, and now a Forester. I do miss my Outback. I feel like it drove better (smoother) overall, but on the flip side, the Forester seems like a more agile vehicle. It's definitely easier to park in the city - about 10 inches shorter. I don't necessarily regret my decision to upgrade from my 2011 Outback 2.5 Limited to a 2019 Forester Premium, but in hindsight I would have elected to get more options. IF I had elected to go for a Limited trim with some option packages, I probably would just make do with the Forester. It's definitely bouncier and more aggressive of a driver than my 2011 Outback was.

But, after 18 months of leasing, I have noticed that I miss the leather more than I'd thought, and I find myself using my wife's car more often for longer trips whether we need the cargo space or people space or not... she's driving a 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L. It doesn't have the cool technology and driver assist features in it - and zero CarPlay either - so that does make for some more tedious and frustrating drives as I'm on the highway and battling with the native infotainment system.

The hardest decision I'm trying to decide between is if I want the XT or not. I'm leaning towards YES, because I don't think I'll own it long enough for things to be a "longevity" issue, but who knows. In one breath I am clamoring for a Tesla Model Y, and in the next breath I am pushing for the "gas guzzler" XT option.

Part of the problem is exacerbated by price: The Tesla Model Y LR AWD would be around $48,000 for me after a state rebate of $5000 off sale price, but that comes with the territory of having to be aware of range and all the anxieties that come with it. While the Outback Limited XT could be purchased for what I'd imagine is around $36,000. My state doesn't charge sales tax on BEV's, so the $48 is the final price; the Outback XT would be more around $2500 more... for a total of around $38,500. The XT would use around $1000 more in "fuel" comparing gasoline to electricity for my home rates, so over the course of the 10 years of ownership, I'd be at roughly the same price on fuel alone - not factoring in any repairs.

Either way, definitely keeping an eyeball on the Outback XT. I imagine the Mrs. will get a substantial say in the vote, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be narrowed down to either a Limited XT or a Model Y - maybe even a Standard Range + when it comes out to help keep price reasonable. For someone like me that drives around 40 miles per day, the extra range for a LR isn't worth the cost, and more importantly, you can charge extremely quickly using the SC network on those rare occasions I'm actually driving anywhere substantial. With 250 miles of range in a SR+, I'm still looking at over 3 hours of driving, which case I'd probably need to stop somewhere for a snack or restroom anyway.

121 - 140 of 150 Posts